GDT: Free Agent Frenzy: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Scherbak will not make this team. You can think that Ghetto, Thomas, Hudon, geez I think Grégoire will be more seriously looked at. If nothing is done, it's pretty clear to me that if DSP deserved some chances on the top 6....so would Kassian. So you might be looking for a replacement on the bottom 6. And even there....

Pacioretty-DD-Kassian
Gallagher-Pleks-Galchy
Weise-Eller-DSP
DLR-Mitchell-Flynn

Extras: Bournival-Dumont

We could totally start the year like that. You won't even see Ghetto, Thomas and Co. They would give the 13th spot to Flynn or to guys with no offensive upside like Bournival and Dumont.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Scherbak will not make this team. You can think that Ghetto, Thomas, Hudon, geez I think Grégoire will be more seriously looked at. If nothing is done, it's pretty clear to me that if DSP deserved some chances on the top 6....so would Kassian. So you might be looking for a replacement on the bottom 6. And even there....

Pacioretty-DD-Kassian
Gallagher-Pleks-Galchy
Weise-Eller-DSP
DLR-Mitchell-Flynn

We could totally start the year like that. You won't even see Ghetto, Thomas and Co. They would give the 13th spot to Flynn or to guys with no offensive upside like Bournival and Dumont.

Not with Gallagher and Weise on the left side we won't.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think he'll come at trade deadline. Bergevin has given a chance for kids to show they can make it at the start of every season. What's important is not how good the team is at the start of the season but how good it is heading in the playoffs.

I think the lineup has steadily improved. The lineups at the start of each of the past 3 seasons has been better than the one at the start of the previous season. And the lineup at the start of every playoffs has been better then it was at the start of the same season.

Key additions for the playoffs
2013-2014 Weise +Vanek
2014-2015 + Pettry
2015-2016 + ?

Last year we needed to fix our D. If things dont change it will be up front this season. I'm confident it will be done because that's what MB's history tells us. I dont understand the panic everyone is in.
My issue is more that we don't even have a top 6. We have a top 5 and that includes DD as a top 2 center. I'm not sure how improving a top 6 means not giving a chance to youngsters. All it really does is improve your depth, and after the first season Bergevin mentioned that depth is what makes you win. We have rather weak depth right now and we've failed to address it other than with projects.
Generally speaking, I have zero problems with projects. Actually, I think it's a great way to possibly get an advantage over other teams. Tyler Johnson was a project in TB. So if we can be lucky enough to fall on a guy that is going to impact us in a similar way, for pretty much nothing but low money, then that's a great strategy.

The problem is the timing of it. We have our core players in their prime. PK-Patches-Price are there. I think we all expect or want Galchenyuk-Gallagher to reach another level by their fourth season next year. So I look at Plekanec and Markov who still are key players for us but they will inevitably drop, if they haven't started already (Markov has, Plekanec is still up in the air).

What if Plekanec and Markov start losing quite a bit of their efficacy within the next two years? We should be gunning for contention while these guys are still good.
We also can't expect to have healthy seasons like we've had. So I don't mind trying projects, but there's no reason why we can't also bring in legit top 6 to further improve our depth.

Disagree for start of last year. We were not better to start the season after replacing Briere-Vanek-Gionta with Sekac-PAP.
If we don't change our roster, I also don't think we're better to start this season than we were last year.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Pacioretty-DD-Kassian
Gallagher-Pleks-Galchy
Weise-Eller-DSP
DLR-Mitchell-Flynn

I don't see it.

I think

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher/Kassian
Galchenyuk-DD-Kassian/Gallagher
X-Eller-DSP
DLR-Mitchell-Weise
Flynn

is more likely. X being a potential rookie if they push Flynn to 13th.

Oh yah, DLR can even be sent down for Dumont/Bournival on 4th line. DLR with more ice time in AHL.

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
Disagree for start of last year. We were not better to start the season after replacing Briere-Vanek-Gionta with Sekac-PAP.
If we don't change our roster, I also don't think we're better to start this season than we were last year.

Note. I said the team at START of each of the last 3 seasons has been better then the team at the START of the previous season. Vanek was never part of any start of season.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Note. I said the team at START of each of the last 3 seasons has been better then the team at the START of the previous season. Vanek was never part of any start of season.

Fair enough, my mistake. Although I still think Briere-Gionta was better than PAP-Sekac.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Doubt Semin is being considered. Wasn't in the case in 2012, where Bergy was gunning for Doan instead, can't imagine Bergevin has changed his mind on him after the last season.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Pacioretty-DD-Kassian
Gallagher-Pleks-Galchy
Weise-Eller-DSP
DLR-Mitchell-Flynn

Add Sharp to this lineup and we have a hundred better choices down the line.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Semin or bust at this point..
I don't see this happening. And who the hell knows what this guy is going to want money wise... I just don't think he'd mesh with us and he's not the "character" type guy that Bergevin keeps talking about. And in this case, Bergevin may be right.

Personally, I'd take a chance on him but only for a short cheap contract. I'd "sell him" on the idea that he'd get first line RW role here. He's not going to get that anywhere else.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't see this happening. And who the hell knows what this guy is going to want money wise...

I just don't think he'd mesh with us and he's not the "character" type guy that Bergevin keeps talking about.

Is Kassian that character guy? It's a preference but I don't think it means he blacklists players.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't see this happening. And who the hell knows what this guy is going to want money wise...

I just don't think he'd mesh with us and he's not the "character" type guy that Bergevin keeps talking about.

I doubt it happens as well.. but he's legitimately the only option left on the market that can give the team a boost in the area that it needs it the most.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
If we fill one of the holes externally then we can try to fill the other internally.

There are no real LWers in the organization that could legitimately step in and fill that void in my mind (HM Hudon and Andrighetto). They have prospects but they aren't on that level right now. Realistically the best bet would be for Scherbak to come out of the gates, but even if he did I doubt Therrien would let him work through his mistakes and stay on the top line.

But for the sake of it, let's say he did. A #2LW is much easier to find. Sharp for example would fit the bill.

Could do something like this:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Scherbak
Sharp-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Desharnais-Eller-Kassian
Smith-Pelly-Mitchell-Weise

Flynn

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Emelin-Gilbert

Pateryn

Price
Tokarski

Honestly, that line up could win the East. Especially with the defense and goaltending.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
My issue is more that we don't even have a top 6. We have a top 5 and that includes DD as a top 2 center. I'm not sure how improving a top 6 means not giving a chance to youngsters. All it really does is improve your depth, and after the first season Bergevin mentioned that depth is what makes you win. We have rather weak depth right now and we've failed to address it other than with projects.
Generally speaking, I have zero problems with projects. Actually, I think it's a great way to possibly get an advantage over other teams. Tyler Johnson was a project in TB. So if we can be lucky enough to fall on a guy that is going to impact us in a similar way, for pretty much nothing but low money, then that's a great strategy.

The problem is the timing of it. We have our core players in their prime. PK-Patches-Price are there. I think we all expect or want Galchenyuk-Gallagher to reach another level by their fourth season next year. So I look at Plekanec and Markov who still are key players for us but they will inevitably drop, if they haven't started already (Markov has, Plekanec is still up in the air).

What if Plekanec and Markov start losing quite a bit of their efficacy within the next two years? We should be gunning for contention while these guys are still good.
We also can't expect to have healthy seasons like we've had. So I don't mind trying projects, but there's no reason why we can't also bring in legit top 6 to further improve our depth.

Only part of your post I disagree with is the last paragraph. Last year it was clear we'd lost some scoring. Vanek and Gionta had actually contributed goals in 2013/14, and going into 2014/15 they were gone, replaced by Parenteau. Even though the defense was much improved, we knew our offense had taken a step back. 2014/15 never looked like a high-offense season.

This year I see our forwards as clearly ahead of last year's pack. Since October 2014 we lost Parenteau and Bourque, who never came close to delivering on their promise. We lost Prust and Malhotra's combined 4 goals. And we lost the enigmatic Sekac, who none of us have figured out. Those are five roster spots who combined for 20 goals.

Kassian alone could outscore any three of them combined. The other four roster spots will be filled by DSP, Mitchell, and whichever rookies step up. It's still a rough group of forwards, but there are more potential goals than last year, and much more potential room for offensive growth. Another 20-goal forward would really solidify our depth. But even if we start as-is, I see a team that's improved, albeit slightly.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Is Kassian that character guy? It's a preference but I don't think it means he blacklists players.
I don't think he'll blacklist a player but he definitely has indicated that it's important to him. The fact that we've already added Kassian makes it even less likely that he'd add another guy with perceived character issues.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

Pacioretty-DD-Kassian
Gallagher-Pleks-Galchy
Weise-Eller-DSP
DLR-Mitchell-Flynn

Holloway will be on the team or back in Europe.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I don't see this happening. And who the hell knows what this guy is going to want money wise... I just don't think he'd mesh with us and he's not the "character" type guy that Bergevin keeps talking about. And in this case, Bergevin may be right.

Personally, I'd take a chance on him but only for a short cheap contract. I'd "sell him" on the idea that he'd get first line RW role here. He's not going to get that anywhere else.

I agree but put yourself in his shoes.

A prove me contract with MTL isnt really an optimal situation. A poor offensive team, a coach who is likely to staple his rear to the bench on a whim. For an offensive forward looking for his next contract, stats matter. Mtl doesnt provide a situation to boost his stats

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I would rather give Kostitsyn a shot instead of Semin

Why? Last time we saw Kostitsyn in this league was 4 years ago at prime age putting up 37 points while perfectly healthy. We can probably expect the same from him now. Semin is definitely boom or bust, but I'd rather swing for the fences than know we're picking up a 3rd line winger who flamed out of the NHL once already.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
There are no real LWers in the organization that could legitimately step in and fill that void in my mind (HM Hudon and Andrighetto). They have prospects but they aren't on that level right now. Realistically the best bet would be for Scherbak to come out of the gates, but even if he did I doubt Therrien would let him work through his mistakes and stay on the top line.

But for the sake of it, let's say he did. A #2LW is much easier to find. Sharp for example would fit the bill.

Could do something like this:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Scherbak
Sharp-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Desharnais-Eller-Kassian
Smith-Pelly-Mitchell-Weise

Flynn

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Emelin-Gilbert

Pateryn

Price
Tokarski

Honestly, that line up could win the East. Especially with the defense and goaltending.
I wouldn't slot Scherbak in for sure (the other rookies deserve a chance too) and Pateryn is better than both guys on your bottom pair.. but I agree for the most part.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I wouldn't slot Scherbak in for sure (the other rookies deserve a chance too) and Pateryn is better than both guys on your bottom pair.. but I agree for the most part.

I could see Gilbert being scratched but not until they exhaust trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad