GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Obviously not the Sedins. But get some balls and trade either Bieksa, Burrows, or Edler to free up cap space and then fill the damn holes that he failed to fill last season and maybe...possibly...consider filling those holes for the upcoming season??

Wouldn't trading these player just open new holes? Burrows and Bieksa aren't going to get you prime returns even if they did waive their NTC's. Edler is an interesting one if you can get a good return for him you have to at least entertain it.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Who would be have signed with the money that was being thrown around? With what cap space? How could our youth have a chance to contribute if we plugged every hole through free agency?

I don't think it's that he wasn't throwing big money around, it's the asinine attitude that he knows better and is happy to watch others make moves... No doubt other GMs really covet our schroeders, Jensens and lains...

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I'm disappointed they didn't bring back Lapierre for around the same price as Richardson so they could have both players around. At this point, after spending $1.15 million on one fourth liner, they may as well solidify their lineup with another centre around the same price tag because they aren't really going to find any upgrades elsewhere with their available cap space.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Reset doesn't mean you delete the whole team and start with something completely new.

When was the last time you reset Windows and it boots OSX afterwards?

It also shouldn't mean fiddling with the 4th line and not addressing the club issues at all + banking on Luongo to come back happy and ready to play.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I'm not disappointed at all with Gillis essentially standing pat. The only thing that pisses me off is that I want Tanev locked up ASAP.

We have no cap room to spare, and many of these contracts are simply laughable.

This is why Schneider was traded for a high pick. It was the only way to acquire a high-upside or impact player with out contract or cap issues.

I would not mind at all if we had signed Lappy and brought back Alberts.

I don't see a single team that has improved their roster over last year either. Almost all the contending teams have lost significant pieces (Boston, LA, Chicago, Pittsburgh to a lesser extent with Iggy and Morrow).

Castle1*

Wouldn't trading these player just open new holes? Burrows and Bieksa aren't going to get you prime returns even if they did waive their NTC's. Edler is an interesting one if you can get a good return for him you have to at least entertain it.

Good point about burrows and bieksa. Then we need to trade edler if we will get a return like ryan did today. For all i know they are trying...but this is very frustrating as it has been going downhill for two years with an additional gong show of gillis failing to deal luongo. Yea hindsight is 20 20 but gillis screwed that up as bad as anyone could.

The frustration has been building for many of us for a long time and it sure appears nothing of substance has been done to deal with the issues until gillis was forced to move schneider.

Oignon Saute

Dec 19, 2011
Would have loved Ryder for 2 years at 7 million. Would have been an upgrade on Booth for less money. I'm sure we could unload Booth in a trade for something, anything.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Wow... Gillis just said it was fun to just sit back and not have to worry about signing guys... :facepalm:

If teams are rushing out to sign guys like Clarkson at $5M+ for 7 years it means they have bigger holes on the roster than we do. That or teams are just shuffling around players they've lost. Yeah it's typically fun for the fans but eventually it gets kind of old and it becomes nice to not have to worry about it.

And we'll see how things pan out, but typically it can be very rewarding to wait. Players always make the most money on the first day/week, but in a cap world it's a game of musical chairs. For the players that don't get a contract in the first push, they get to the point where they have to consider signing a low value contract for the season so they can try again next year. There will also be teams that may need to shed some salary in a hurry before the season starts.

In the past Gillis off season patience has landed us Sundin, Ehrhoff, and while he hasn't worked out quite yet David Booth, all for practically nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad