GDT: Free Agent Frenzy (in October!) | Sharks throw a pile of money at Labanc, re-sign Noesen, Marleau(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
As free agency goes on and there's less and less capspace it's possible one of the next tier of dmen takes a bargain deal.

Unfortunately, DW doesn't seem to think that way. He'll bring in someone to "compete with the kids" that is below replacement level so the kids are sure to win the spot. I'm just hoping for someone better than Dalton Prout this year.

If we could somehow get one of that higher tier on a short term 1m deal the team would be much better off. Also possible that Seattle would take said player over Simek, ala Schlemko.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
If the Sharks bring in a veteran D-man to play on the 3rd pair. From those names listed above Andy Greene might be one of the best. He was very good with the Islanders.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
So does that mean MTL is going to be looking to move one of Armia or Gallagher? Would love to get Gallagher if they were looking to make that kind of move. They currently have Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher, and Armia down the right side with Tatar and Drouin in the top 6 on the left side. Guess in theory they could play Toffoli on his off wing, but seems they have an abundance of something that we need in right shot forwards.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The lack of moves is what I alluded to as a quiet attempt at tanking. Donato is a decent add. Dubnyk is questionable. Noesen is good but at the same time does not match up with what he said earlier about the kids being ready to step in to roles. Overall, he has really not done anything to make us better. He is betting our success on new coaching, better goal tending and staying healthy. That is a big risk considering we were 3rd worst in the league last season.

Sheng actually wrote a pretty good article on the Labanc signing.

An Argument for Kevin Labanc’s New Contract

Basically, the reason Labanc is a top-6 F is because we have no better options really. He plays in our top-6, hence he is a top-6 F.
I disagree about the Noesen signing... Wasn't the bottom 6 populated by Noesen, Goody, Patty, Jumbo and Milker? Milker & Goody are gone. That's 2 spots open in the bottom 6 right there.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Does that mean a team can sign Dadonov at roughly the same price as Labanc?

That could be very doable for the Sharks.
They cant do anything of use unless they shed salary and you cant shed salary when there are plenty of equal players still available

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Toffoli only cost 4.25x4.

c60MILh.gif

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
So does that mean MTL is going to be looking to move one of Armia or Gallagher? Would love to get Gallagher if they were looking to make that kind of move. They currently have Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher, and Armia down the right side with Tatar and Drouin in the top 6 on the left side. Guess in theory they could play Toffoli on his off wing, but seems they have an abundance of something that we need in right shot forwards.
More like Mete and Byron.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Does that mean a team can sign Dadonov at roughly the same price as Labanc?

That could be very doable for the Sharks.
Would be amazing but he's rumored to be going back to Florida. Also, from DW's interviews it sounds more likely that if he does add to the forwards it'll more likely come via trade.

They only need to bury a few players that should been on the 'Cuda anyways.

On second thought, forget Dadonov..go get Granlund at that Toffoli price, if not cheaper.
Granlund would be great, he could play anywhere on the line up including 3rd center if Jumbo needs a break. Unfortunately I can't see DW doing it, even though he'd probably come in around 3m.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
This won’t be a popular question but I think it needs to be asked...
If we move Vlasic, how to we replace what he does??
Please don’t be demeaning. I’m asking seriously.
Sucking? They can resign Heed to suck as bad as Vlasic for a lot less. Ok, ok. Truth is the don't need Vlasic anymore. Especially at that salary. I would much rather sign someone like Prout again or someone like him to compete with Pasinchuk, Mark, & Middleton and whatever other prospects are borderline for the 2 open bottom pair spots. No way should Vlasic be paired with EK65 or Burns anymore at this point so he's nothing but a bottom pair defenseman making about 5mil too much. Any trade the Sharks can make to ditch him and most of his salary should be done immediately and considered addition by subtraction.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
They only need to bury a few players that should been on the 'Cuda anyways.

On second thought, forget Dadonov..go get Granlund at that Toffoli price, if not cheaper.
Granlund has seemed like the affordable option thru all this from the scouting reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad