Free Agent Frenzy - Friday 10/9

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Would love to have Krug.

If rumours that Hall is willing to take a shorter term deal are true that would be fantastic too. Could be used as nice trade bait when it’s close to expiring.

Wennberg would be a good option for a relatively cheap middle 6 centre who could hopefully find his game again. This one’s a bit concerning because of my Stephen Weiss PTSD, but I don’t see Yzerman saddling us with the kind of awful contracts for mediocre players that Holland did. Yzerman pays market value for stars but is wiser than Holland when it comes to not overleveraging yourself with mediocrity.

Turris would be a good option for 2/3C as well.

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
If rumours that Hall is willing to take a shorter term deal are true that would be fantastic too. Could be used as nice trade bait when it’s close to expiring.

Hall would only go short term with a contender and the rumors are that his agent doesn't want him to do short term. I think he ends up on a long term deal with CBJ.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'd love to add Wennberg as long as his contract is reasonable.

Personally I'd like to be patient, embrace the tank and add another couple top 5 picks before we try turning things around... But it seems like we could add some solid pieces in free agency this year. The flat cap and lack of revenue are putting a lot of quality players on the market.

I wish we'd taken picks for some of these buyouts instead though.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I'd like to see Yzerman take a flier on Wennberg and/or Duclair. I also think they should add a goalie just so the team doesn't feel like they have to take an automatic L when Bernier isn't playing. MAF would be nice if Vegas throws in some sweeteners. If not, I'd be cool with them signing Markstrom.

Reactions: MBH

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
- Trade for MAF + 1st rounder.
- Sign Krug.
- Trade for Tampa Centerman for non-value objectives, like Erne.
- Trade for Alex Killorn. Filppula send back to Tampa with 50% retention so they get a cheap depth player.

Killorn ---- Larkin ---- Mantha
Fabbri --- "Gourde/Johnson"-- Bertuzzi
Timashov - Rasmussen -- Zadina
Helm --- Glendening - Svechnikov
---------------------------------
(Nielsen, Gagner, Brome, Givani)

DeKeyser - Krug
Nemeth - Hronek
Staal - Seider
--------------
Cholowski - Biega

Fleury
(Bernier)

Reactions: 14ari13

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Chris Johnston and Elliotte Friedman with DRW updates on Markstrom and Krug:

NHL free agency rumblings: Latest on Ekman-Larsson, Markstrom, Krug

KRUG
In a league where cap space is king, Steve Yzerman possesses more of it than virtually all of his peers.

He also has more available roster spots than NHL-ready prospects after an off-season where the Detroit Red Wings let Jonathan Ericsson, Trevor Daley and Jimmy Howard walk away in free agency, bought out Justin Abdelkader and didn’t tender qualifying offers to Madison Bowey, Christoffer Ehn and Brendan Perlini.

That’s led to increased chatter that the Red Wings are poised to take a run at free-agent defenceman Torey Krug when the market opens Friday.

There’s a natural fit: Krug was raised in a Detroit suburb and attended Michigan State. He’s also looking for some long-term security after being one of the NHL’s most productive blue-liners over the past seven seasons and the Red Wings have the means to sign the 29-year-old to the kind of contract he covets.

MARKSTROM
Markstrom is the top goaltender available in a crowded marketplace at the position and will almost certainly net a contract with an average value above the $5 million that Robin Lehner got last week from Las Vegas.

The Calgary Flames and Detroit Red Wings are believed to have interest. Despite some cap limitations, the Edmonton Oilers will likely come calling as well....

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I’m torn on signing guys to 1 year deals that can be flipped at the deadline, or taking flyers on a bunch of the players getting bought out or not qualified that could potentially be future pieces.

I think I’m leaning towards signing players that we can flip

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
In his post draft media availability, Yzerman alluded to possibly signing 2 forwards and 2 or 3 dmen on the UFA market, aside from obviously needing a goalie. He also made it pretty clear he wants to keep young guys and prospects playing outside the NHL, other than Zadina and Hronek.

I'm wondering if he's looking at how much cap space he has and how the flat cap is going to affect other teams and sees an opportunity to improve the team in the short term with a mix of a couple of decent signings and a couple bargain reclamation projects but without really derailing the rebuild much if at all.

-The only real risk is that the team moves to later in the first round, but they'll still have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds in the 2021 draft, and would still have a good handful of guys they can float as rentals at the TDL to get more.

-Can't really get into cap trouble since they've got around $24M coming off the books after next season (NOT including Zetterberg), and unless Mantha and/or Bertuzzi only get 1 year bridge deals, Hronek will be the only guy that really needs a decent raise.

-Won't be blocking young guys from NHL roster spots, since it sounds like Yzerman doesn't want a ton of them starting in the NHL season, but they still at least 4 forwards and 3 dmen slated to leave next summer and could also potentially lose a roster player to Seattle which opens another spot for young guys that Yzerman thinks are ready.

But, I guess we'll see what happens. I'm interested to see what Yzerman does.

The only thing I'm really averse to is signing a goalie for longterm and big money, which I guess only really encompasses Markstrom. I've seen the 5+ x $5M+ goalie signed well into his 30's movie before and it stank. I'd much rather go with a cheaper shorter term band-aid for now.

Reactions: jkutswings

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Erik Gustaffson- 2 years @ 3.2

one of Alex Galcheyuk (2 years 2.9) or Turris (1 year 3.5)

Greiss

If not qualified Virtanen for 4 x 2.6

also would not mind Wennberg.

if he really wants to come back I’d take Krug, but I doubt he would

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad