Free Agent Frenzy - Friday 10/9

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Veleno really shouldn't be listed as an untouchable... Are we moving him for nothing, no of course not. Is he a non-starter name for a young top 4 d-man with contract control... God I hope not.

Ras who I am actually higher on than Veleno isn't ruled out here either. I just wouldn't want to give up a ton more is my problem with including one of them, but maybe Calgary is okay with that.

I don't think Stevie would actually want Hanifin given how he has built the team for this coming season though. I think he is in on it if the price is ridiculous, but it doesn't seem in line with our other improve but don't tank moments. Hanifin is immediately our best d-man in my opinion, certainly in his own end by a lot.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Veleno is likely to be a 3rd line center at best in the NHL, and 'potential' is just that for Zadina - hasn't done anything remotely impressive at the NHL, or AHL level thus far.

Czech league is like what - a step, or 2 below the AHL?

I know I'm coming across as a pessimistic ass, but lets not overvalue our prospect pool...Hanifin while nowhere near a Norris Trophy candidate is playing top 4 Dman minutes, and would likely be the best guy on our blueline the second he dons a Wings jersey.
Let's not undervalue our prospect pool either.

Veleno is 20 and I think anyone putting a 3rd line ceiling on him is being ridiculous.

If we trade him it should be because other teams see at least 2nd line value in him, and with our awareness that it's very possible we lose our future 2nd line C.

In a similar fashion, trading Zadina should not be done because we don't think he has been impressive enough, but because other teams see a potential future star player and are willing to value him as such in a trade. That also should only be done if you are willing to risk Zadina living up to his potential, which on the low end is a 25+25 winger and on the higher end but still realistic; 40+40 scorer.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Noah Hanifin has missed 8 total games since turning pro, I don't think Murray is a good comparable at all. Now we don't have to flip them Dougie Hamilton at this point, but the reason Murray's cost sunk as low as it did is that he is hurt a substantial amount more.

I am all for bringing in Hanifin. But like everyone else I really don't know the cost. I will say it wouldn't surprise me if Yzerman disliked guys we liked in the prospect pool, they aren't really his guys in some cases.

I mean the Boston rumor is DeBrusk and Moore, we can say they aren't going to pay that, but this shouldn't be a dirt cheap piece of business, we are going to have to part with something we like.

Larkin would be over the moon and this would make Werenski a near lock if he ever hits free agency. Larkin, Eichel, Werenski and Hanifin were the leadership clique on their USMNTDP team together and from most accounts remain extremely close friends.

I just meant the cost being like Murray, like pure dump.

He's got some time left on his contract and is young enough for the re-build. I'd welcome him, just not for something that will set back the re-build.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Veleno really shouldn't be listed as an untouchable... Are we moving him for nothing, no of course not. Is he a non-starter name for a young top 4 d-man with contract control... God I hope not.

Ras who I am actually higher on than Veleno isn't ruled out here either. I just wouldn't want to give up a ton more is my problem with including one of them, but maybe Calgary is okay with that.

I don't think Stevie would actually want Hanifin given how he has built the team for this coming season though. I think he is in on it if the price is ridiculous, but it doesn't seem in line with our other improve but don't tank moments. Hanifin is immediately our best d-man in my opinion, certainly in his own end by a lot.

I'm with you on this. If I move Veleno at all it would be for Cirelli, because I think Cirelli is a very solid 2/3C who is very good defensively, and I think Veleno is going to be a very solid 2/3C who is going to be defensively responsible so it's like for like. This move makes sense because it's potential + low salary being traded for actuality + higher salary that helps the team from the present to 6-8 years from now.

I think Hanifin can be got for a lower amount than we think. We have a plethora of 2nd round picks. We also have a few prospects that are looking like 3rd liners in Mastrosimone and Grewe, and we also have a logjam of defensive prospects. I'd look to move McIsaac or Tuomisto + a 2nd rounder. Hanifin is likely the 2nd to 4th best defenseman on Detroit behind DDK and Hronek, and likely Seider. Maybe he can improve his defensive play? He's big, can skate well and looks to have all the tools necessary to be a very solid 2nd pairing guy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm with you on this. If I move Veleno at all it would be for Cirelli, because I think Cirelli is a very solid 2/3C who is very good defensively, and I think Veleno is going to be a very solid 2/3C who is going to be defensively responsible so it's like for like. This move makes sense because it's potential + low salary being traded for actuality + higher salary that helps the team from the present to 6-8 years from now.

I think Hanifin can be got for a lower amount than we think. We have a plethora of 2nd round picks. We also have a few prospects that are looking like 3rd liners in Mastrosimone and Grewe, and we also have a logjam of defensive prospects. I'd look to move McIsaac or Tuomisto + a 2nd rounder. Hanifin is likely the 2nd to 4th best defenseman on Detroit behind DDK and Hronek, and likely Seider. Maybe he can improve his defensive play? He's big, can skate well and looks to have all the tools necessary to be a very solid 2nd pairing guy.

Hanifin is better than Dekeyser and still improving.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hanifin is better than Dekeyser and still improving.

He would be the best defensive guy by a lot here in my opinion until Seider gets comfortable, he should be better quickly in terms of Seider. Even before the shutdown I thought Seider was likely to be our best D-man by seasons end this coming season. They would be a really interesting pairing actually in terms of a hardcore shutdown pairing in my opinion.

He doesn't have Hronek's offense clearly but they basically are polar opposites. What Hanifin does well is Hronek's weakness and Hronek's offensive repertoire in terms of vision and shot is far beyond Hanifin.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He would be the best defensive guy by a lot here in my opinion until Seider gets comfortable, he would be better quickly. They would be a really interesting pairing actually in terms of a hardcore shutdown pairing in my opinion.

He doesn't have Hronek's offense clearly but they basically are polar opposites. What Hanifin does well is Hronek's weakness and Hronek's offensive repertoire in terms of vision and shot is far beyond Hanifin.

Yeah, I was going to say I think he walks on the team and is the best defenseman at Even Strength. I agree, I think Hanifin-Hronek would be a great fit for each other.

I wonder if/how much Stevie is kicking the tires on this.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, I was going to say I think he walks on the team and is the best defenseman at Even Strength. I agree, I think Hanifin-Hronek would be a great fit for each other.

I think he is a nice option for both of our young righties. Have a lead you put him and Mo together late. But he would balance Hronek when they played together.

Big mobile D, he fits what we know about Stevie's preferred D-man.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Probably called and thats it. Calgary can't afford to trade him.

My opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad