GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Derek Grant is a quality defensive center who scored 15 goals last year and is a flat-out better hockey player than Beagle, is 5 years younger, and is a local guy ... and just signed for $1.5 million.

And one of a handful of hometown players who would have been absolutely worth going after using the "come back home" pitch.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Benning best option long term is to trade for a top end Defenseman

Virtanen, Rousell/Eriksson, Picks and Lind/Rafferty for a Ekblad/OEL.

We shift bad salary to something that brings value. Most important aspect should be to keep Podkolzin/Rathbone/Hoglander/Juolevi if it is possible.

Or even something like Gaudette+Virtanen+Loui/Rousell+Pick for A top end Defenseman

This would open up cap space to spend salary in FA and pick up a top pairing Defenseman in trade

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

We shift bad salary to something that brings value. Most important aspect should be to keep Podkolzin/Rathbone/Hoglander/Juolevi if it is possible.

Or even something like Gaudette+Virtanen+Loui/Rousell+Pick for A top end Defenseman

This would open up cap space to spend salary in FA and pick up a top pairing Defenseman in trade
Honest question: what kind of picks do you think would need to be added to either of those packages to garner a top end D in return? Because I think 2-3 first rounders ought to do it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Benning is responsible for or directly involved in every major hockey decision the Canucks have made since he came here. To think otherwise is exposing yourself as a naive fool. He picked Virtanen in 2014, he picked EP in 2017, and he created a cap mess this off-season which as of now has crippled a team that should be ascending. I don't care about Gillis, Linden, Brackett, or anyone else people want to give blame/credit for.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013

No team is taking that package for a stud dman.
The only hope is that Ari ownership forces an OEL trade due to the fact they're broke AF and OEL only waives his NMC for Van.
Outside of some crazy situation like that, there's no hope for our D.
I am not a huge OEL fan but thats the only way go bring in a big name imo

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Honest question: what kind of picks do you think would need to be added to either of those packages to garner a top end D in return? Because I think 2-3 first rounders ought to do it.
For a prime Defenseman like Ekblad yeah, the players i would target that wouldn't cost a leg and a arm are Doogie Hamilton and OEL.

Carolina has multiple Defenseman to protect in the expansion draft and Hamilton is expiring in 2 years.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Unlike the OEL deal, I have a feeling that if Florida were to trade Ekblad, they wont take back bad contracts..Just a hunch

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
If nothing pans out in terms of a trade then Canucks will play their Utica defenceman or sign depth defenceman at 1 year contracts. There is no incentive for Canucks to sign free agents to long term contracts in another covid season. There is no revenue flowing from Rogers Arena and Canucks will have an ample amount of cap space and flexibility next season to sign Pettersson/Hughes/Demko and add one more key piece while Podkolzin/Hoglander enter the lineup on ELCs.

My theory is Canucks will let Juolevi or Rathbone play the year out to gain NHL experience and next year they target Dougie Hamilton. Hamilton was one of Benning's picks in Boston and I bet Benning is salivating over him as a free agent. Canucks also want Tryamkin back, he's take a considerable step this season in the KHL with Bill Peters as the coach, he's being used as their top pairing and playing in every situation. This upcoming year will be a transition year for the defence so don't expect any home run moves at this point forward.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I'm also not convinced at all that we wouldn't be on Schmidt's NTC list. Vancouver is not exactly a popular destination for guys from the Eastern US. Edit - or maybe he's fine to go to Winnipeg? Who knows???

Scmidt’s from the mid-West, Minnesota.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If nothing pans out in terms of a trade then Canucks will play their Utica defenceman or sign depth defenceman at 1 year contracts. There is no incentive for Canucks to sign free agents to long term contracts in another covid season. There is no revenue flowing from Rogers Arena and Canucks will have an ample amount of cap space and flexibility next season to sign Pettersson/Hughes/Demko and add one more key piece while Podkolzin/Hoglander enter the lineup on ELCs.

My theory is Canucks will let Juolevi or Rathbone play the year out to gain NHL experience and next year they target Dougie Hamilton. Hamilton was one of Benning's picks in Boston and I bet Benning is salivating over him as a free agent. Canucks also want Tryamkin back, he's take a considerable step this season in the KHL with Bill Peters as the coach, he's being used as their top pairing and playing in every situation. This upcoming year will be a transition year for the defence so don't expect any home run moves at this point forward.

I can’t see Green and Benning being OK with just throwing in 2 - possibly 3 - rookies onto the blueline. It doesn’t set the kids up for success and it doesn’t set the team up for success. And it runs completely counter to how they’ve handled such situations before.

Good or bad, Benning is going to do something about it.

Reactions: m9

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
I truly believe Gaudette+Virtanen+1st+3rd/Prospect+Rousel would get us Ekblad or Dougie Hamilton.

Virtanen+Sutter, 2nd+3rd+ Juolevi gets us OEL

Based of Previous trades for top pairing defenseman/top line forwards

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I can’t see Green and Benning being OK with just throwing in 2 - possibly 3 - rookies onto the blueline. It doesn’t set the kids up for success and it doesn’t set the team up for success. And it runs completely counter to how they’ve handled such situations before.

Good or bad, Benning is going to do something about it.
Agreed, there's definitely more moves incoming, they're not just going to throw rookies into the deep end of the pool...Rathbone /and or Juolevi are going to get a great opportunity here.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Can we stop trading away our 1st round picks please?

Also, Florida finally seems to have a competent GM. He’s going to watch a fortune to move Ekblad.

Not interest in Dougie. Too many red flags with the amount of teams he has been on and he was injured for a good chunk of last year.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It does seem like there is actually some agreement among most fans on how to salvage things here.

Trade Virtanen for a top 4 RHD. Add to either side as needed.

Sign 1-2 veteran depth defensemen.

Sign Toffoli short-term.

We'll see if any of it happens.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
How we feel about Vince Dunn?

Lefty but I like him. He had some bad moments in the playoffs but apparently he was recovering from COVID.

Looks like a few teams might have to move out defencemen to be cap compliant or to meet their internal budget. Some possibilities:

St. Louis - Dunn (RFA)
Leafs - Holl ($2 million x 3 years), Dermott (RFA)
Capitals - Jensen ($2.5 million x 3 years)
Oilers - Larsson ($4.17 million x 1 year), Bear (RFA)
Vegas - Schmidt ($5.95 million x 5 years)
Tampa - Cernak (RFA)
Carolina - Fleury (RFA)
Islanders - Mayfield ($1.45 million x 3 year)
Florida - Weegar (RFA)

And then you have teams who might be looking to deal "surplus" players:

Rangers - Deangelo
Buffalo - Ristoleinen

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Only thing that makes this point for RHD is to trade for one.

Schmidt could be had for a relative cheap price if LV is going to sign Pietro.

The other option I can think of is moving some of our dead salary for a similar RHD dead salary.

Colin Miller in Buffalo makes sense, they have Risto, Jokiharju and Montour ahead of him. Maybe a Roussel, Beagle or Sutter Swap makes sense for both sides.

Obviously Cernak and Weegar should be targets as well.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The Canucks paying up for Sergachev would be an interesting idea. Team is obviously interested in a defenseman and would have heavily scouted him in his draft year. He also was the defensive partner in junior of Chatfield, who could possibly be in the top six this year.

Package would obviously be steep, and only cheap roster players like Gaudette or Benn (50% retained) would be a part of it as well as picks/prospects.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
We're seeing a lot of actual good players like Murray being dumped for almost nothing because of the flat cap. Others include Maata, Saad, Nutivaara, Johnsson and Stastny. These are all positive value assets netting zilch on the market.

Roussel has been reduced to a 4th line role (as seen in the playoffs). If he establishes himself in the top 9 again next year maybe he can recoup some of his value but it's hard to say given how little trust Green puts in that duo of him and Gaudette. Right now he's overpaid for what he brings and is a negative asset.

Beagle was legitimately one of the worst forwards in the league last year - we get absolutely killed in possession whenever he's out there. Why would anyone take him on for free without demanding a sweetener on top?
Fair, but that sweetener would not be significant. Looking at similar players traded for value such as Gudbranson, at most we’d add a mid round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad