GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Because they’re cheaper at 3 million and bring more to the table. Roussel is the perfect addition to a contending piece, similar to a Lapierre. Beagle is also a great addition as 4c for playoff depth.

roussel maybe to a team that is lacking that. beagle is too pricey for what he brings in the current market. mikka koivu went for $1.5m. is beagle worth more than koivu as a 4c?

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
You mean Winnipeg

tenor.gif

Reactions: VanillaCoke

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I think Savard and Larsson are the best targets at this point, however the latter may not be available. Canucks should be prioritizing Savard over other options simply due to contract length.

savard only possibly hits the market if cbj lock up pietrangelo.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Beagle is a washed-up scrub who has been outscored by a 2:1 ratio at ES as a Canuck.
Its incredible watching so many teams this offseason sign 4th liners for a mill or less. Like how on earth did anyone with common sense think signing 4th line declining centre Beagle was worth 4 years at $3 million per. Even one year at that would have been too much. INSANE

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Its incredible watching so many teams this offseason sign 4th liners for a mill or less. Like how on earth did anyone with common sense think signing 4th line declining centre Beagle was worth 4 years at $3 million per. Even one year at that would have been too much. INSANE

Derek Grant is a quality defensive center who scored 15 goals last year and is a flat-out better hockey player than Beagle, is 5 years younger, and is a local guy ... and just signed for $1.5 million.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
Never commit long term to 4th lines in the late twenties and thirties.... we all know it..
Cap space is important don't piss it away on fringe players

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Because they’re cheaper at 3 million and bring more to the table. Roussel is the perfect addition to a contending piece, similar to a Lapierre. Beagle is also a great addition as 4c for playoff depth.

We're seeing a lot of actual good players like Murray being dumped for almost nothing because of the flat cap. Others include Maata, Saad, Nutivaara, Johnsson and Stastny. These are all positive value assets netting zilch on the market.

Roussel has been reduced to a 4th line role (as seen in the playoffs). If he establishes himself in the top 9 again next year maybe he can recoup some of his value but it's hard to say given how little trust Green puts in that duo of him and Gaudette. Right now he's overpaid for what he brings and is a negative asset.

Beagle was legitimately one of the worst forwards in the league last year - we get absolutely killed in possession whenever he's out there. Why would anyone take him on for free without demanding a sweetener on top?

Reactions: Scorvat

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Can Vegas just sign Petro and trade us Schmidt already

In the unlikely event that Vegas moves Schmidt (man, would that be a stupid decision) we'd be competing with Philly/NYR/Columbus type clubs who have heaps of cap space and also need defenders.

I'm also not convinced at all that we wouldn't be on Schmidt's NTC list. Vancouver is not exactly a popular destination for guys from the Eastern US. Edit - or maybe he's fine to go to Winnipeg? Who knows???

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Don’t you think it’s more prudent to shop in the “usually signed in late August” 1 year deal bin?

They can’t go committing future cap. If they’re expecting a step back just take the step back without committing more of the future.

It would be more prudent to wait it out, yes. However, the exception I would make is for Toffoli. Other than him, wait things out and sign Rutta/bottom pair Dman, and then trade for the Tanev replacement.

@MS: I wouldn’t go so far as to say that Canucks1096 is not worth responding to (don’t know if I read that wrong?). There is a language barrier there, I suspect. It’s causing people to talk past each other in his conversations.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It would be more prudent to wait it out, yes. However, the exception I would make is for Toffoli. Other than him, wait things out and sign Rutta/bottom pair Dman, and then trade for the Tanev replacement.

@MS: I wouldn’t go so far as to say that Canucks1096 is not worth responding to (don’t know if I read that wrong?). There is a language barrier there, I suspect. It’s causing people to talk past each other in his conversations.
Well just like Benning won’t try to learn people’s names with a language difference I’m not going to give time to but Gillis and Linden blame in October 2020.

Reactions: Get North

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
In the unlikely event that Vegas moves Schmidt (man, would that be a stupid decision) we'd be competing with Philly/NYR/Columbus type clubs who have heaps of cap space and also need defenders.

I'm also not convinced at all that we wouldn't be on Schmidt's NTC list. Vancouver is not exactly a popular destination for guys from the Eastern US. Edit - or maybe he's fine to go to Winnipeg? Who knows???

If Jets get Schmidt I think they could win the west. Deep at forward and got a nice stop gap for 2C with Stastny. Mix that in with a full season of DeMelo and adding Schmidt they'd challenge anyone in the west.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
It really feels like Benning is "learning" on the job, which certainly explains some of his disastrous decision making. Case in point, we reportedly offered Barrie 6M/1y. Okay, the dollar amount is high but he finally offered one OR the other instead of both. Loui at 7M but for 3-4 is better than Loui at 6x6. Frankly, it's shocking how clueless he's been and yet people still give him credit for building this team. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Benning want someone else over Pettersson?

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
It really feels like Benning is "learning" on the job, which certainly explains some of his disastrous decision making. Case in point, we reportedly offered Barrie 6M/1y. Okay, the dollar amount is high but he finally offered one OR the other instead of both. Loui at 7M but for 3-4 is better than Loui at 6x6. Frankly, it's shocking how clueless he's been and yet people still give him credit for building this team. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Benning want someone else over Pettersson?

cody glass

Reactions: vanuck

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

He is learning on the fly, and the results show that he hasn't really been learning from his mistakes (back-to-back poor UFA offseasons in 2018 and 2019; constantly wasting futures).

This might be reasonable if he didn't also happen to fire the competent people around him (Gilman, Brackett). The guy is about as arrogant as he is incompetent, a very bad combination of qualities for a general manager.

Reactions: vanuck

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta

I'll shit on the guy ad nauseum but I'll give him credit for building the team. Every contract is signed under his management team. All the prospects in the system have come in under him. He's been here going on 7 years.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
3/4 of this board wanted Vilardi and Glass over Petersson too. We can't say "the GM makes the decisions in the first round" when we talk about Virtanen and Juolevi and then say "Benning would have picked someone else" when talking about Petersson and Hughes.

Prospect Info: - 5th overall: Vancouver selects Elias Pettersson (Timra, Allsvenskan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad