GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
f*** yes!!! Great partner for Hughes and only a 3rd??? Biggest steal of Bennings tenure?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Benning just made a lot of you look like....

Schmidt was a top 2 defenceman on an incredible Vegas team all season, he played the most minutes in the playoffs out of their defence, and second most minutes in the regular season.

I’m glad you cut yourself off.

Good or bad, guys, let’s not pull the gotcha BS here. It’s trolling and you’re all better than that.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Not sure who would play in our top six though?
Yeah that's the problem. You need to move salary and compared to last year right now the offense and defense is about the same(remember Toffoli was TD addition)

This team is a borderline playoff team like last year but need to move salary out which is most likely a forward which'll make the offense worse than last year.

If you can somehow dump Sutter(retain salary) for a late round pick, you have to do it. Or flip Virtanen for a pick and borderline NHL regular(think about the Andreas Johnson trade)

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah that's the problem. You need to move salary and compared to last year right now the offense and defense is about the same(remember Toffoli was TD addition)

This team is a borderline playoff team like last year but need to move salary out which is most likely a forward which'll make the offense worse than last year.

If you can somehow dump Sutter(retain salary) for a late round pick, you have to do it. Or flip Virtanen for a pick and borderline NHL regular(think about the Andreas Johnson trade)
I agree. Man, it would be good to somehow move Sutter or Baertschi right now.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Benning still has some moves to make but it's looking a lot better than before. We acquire the second best DMen in Free Agency

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Vegas is the ideal team to pluck a defenceman from, they play such an incredibly structured game, hope Schmidt can come teach Green a few things about their system.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I'm fine admitting this was a good move by Benning. Schmidt is a great #2-3 and can either complement Hughes or make Myers less of a disaster. He should be a workhorse for us.

What I can't say is that it redeems losing all of our UFAs. At the end of the day Schmidt has a $6M cap hit with an NMC until 2025, and his contract will play a role in not getting the deals we want from Hughes/Pettersson/Demko. We could've comfortably fit Toffoli and Stecher at a lesser cap hit with no trade restrictions and *even* kept the 3rd. Arguably we'd be a bit worse as still lacking another legit Top 4 D-man would be worse than having a well-rounded Top 6 forwards but it would screw us so much less once the Great Cap Crunch of 2021 arrives.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Now sign Hamonic or Vantanen at a dirt cheap contract to replace Stecher's 6th D role and that's one hell of defence unit.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I’m not a Benning fan, so this isn’t me defending him, but I have to feel that something is going on in the background. Is ownership maybe limiting his activity for some reason? It seems as if all deals we’ve reportedly offered have been way below market value and have been very short term, I just don’t see Benning as being that cautious. Either that or a trade, which would certainly be preferable.

Looks like it was a trade.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Benning just made a lot of you look like....

Schmidt was a top 2 defenceman on an incredible Vegas team all season, he played the most minutes in the playoffs out of their defence, and second most minutes in the regular season.

Let’s be honest here your straight up here to.....

he failed into this trade; I’m glad it’s done but you realize if he hadn’t screwed up so much in the past we could be adding him to the team in addition to everyone we lost right.

Reactions: MarkMM and rypper

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
3M left in Cap space Once you bury Sven and 6.5 if you LTIR Ferland. Canucks must have more planned.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Imagine the hype train had Benning unloaded Sutter and signed Toffoli today as well.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think they pretty much have to buyout Sutter during the next buyout period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad