Rumor: Free Agent Frenzy - Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
One of the more ridiculous notions is that Puljujärvi doesn't try hard enough (insert whatever buzzword people love to throw around grit/tenacity etc). I'm not sure you get this level of forechecking without a certain level of effort. Puljujärvi has his issues but a lack of effort is one of the more ridiculous ones brought up. Generally blowing guys up in the corner doesn't matter, what matters is disrupting the play enough to regain possession and Puljujärvi is fantastic at that.

I don't disagree. Now let's try stickhandling, passing and finishing. Unless he gets his offensive confidence going and starts playing like a lottery pick, you have just described a solid defensive 3rd line winger. AKA exactly what we see him as and he doesn't want to be.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Nuge at 3C makes the most sense to me too. Inject some guaranteed skill into that 3rd line, give Nuge less competition, reduce his minutes for his heavy lifting on the special teams
Problem is that Nuge can’t win a face off and has shown zero inclination to get better in that area

Reactions: Vagabond

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
The obsession with Josh Anderson from people here is just baffling especially when he's by far overpaid and already having injury problems along with his style of play.
The moment Kane re-signed was the moment Stauffer finally managed to shut up about Anderson. MTL can keep their overpaid band-aid.
True..

Buuut if Montreal retained 2.5m I'd make it work.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Off season 10 percent over the cap allowance.

They need that 10% for LTIR. So Smith and Klef take up what 6.3M of that 8.1M allowed. They will eventually go on LTIR- but until they do- they count as part of the cap

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
We would need clear a few million in cap to ice a full roster. I think we could end up seeing all of Holloway, Bourgault, Broberg and Samorukov on the 22 man roster to start the season. I think the cap clearing trade happens after JP and Yamo are signed.
If Yamamoto, JP and McLeod are making a combined $8.0-8.5M you are roughly $2M over the cap on 21 contracts. Trade Foegele for nothing and replace him someone making $800K you are right at the cap with 21 contracts. That will not work. You need to trade Barrie and Foegele most likely.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Just from looking at lineups in other team forums there are definitely places Foegele makes sense:

WPG- Have a hole at 3LW next to Lowry and Appleton
CHI- Their best LW is AA lmao, could be a pump and dump candidate for them
ANH- I mentioned a Foegele for Jones swap prior, he would be an Eakins favorite
SJS- Like Anaheim we could target a lower-end forward, Sharks lack proven talent in their bottom six
DAL- Even once they get Robertson signed they will have a hole on the third line and a ton of cap space

Holland should be able to find a landing place for him if he tries.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
If Yamamoto, JP and McLeod are making a combined $8.0-8.5M you are roughly $2M over the cap on 21 contracts. Trade Foegele for nothing and replace him someone making $800K you are right at the cap with 21 contracts. That will not work. You need to trade Barrie and Foegele most likely.

If McLeod comes in at 1.175, that would leave an avergage of about 3.5 for JP and Yamamoto. I don't know, that seems high to me, especially for Puljujarvi. Some of the media folk have them coming in at under 3M, at around 2.5-2.7. I guess we'll see on that front. I do think they trade Foegele, with an outside chance of moving Barrie too.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I would still try to move Foegele and Barrie
As would I, however we need a quality defenseman to replace Barrie in hand (agreed to a contract or trade on the condition that we trade Barrie) before moving him. Foegele is greatly overpaid for what he brings to our team.

ColorfulHandsomeAngora-size_restricted.gif

Who is this Laing guy? Is he legit? I recall seeing his name a number of times but is he legit or suspect?

Pipe dream... Crouse for Pulju, if Crouse & agent are amicable to sign a 1-year team favourable caphit, under $3M.

Bigger pipe dream... something around 1st, Foegele, Samorukov, good prospect for Chychrun.

Just go for it:

To Arizona: Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Broberg, 2024 1st, Foegele and Barrie
To Edmonton: Chychrum and Crouse

Sign Kessel 2 years x $2.5 million AAV
Sign Crouse 4 years x $3.5 million AAV
Sign de Haan 2 years x $2.5 million AAV
Sign Rodrigues 3 years x $3 million AAV

Kane-McDavid-Rodrigues
Hyman-Draisaitl-Kessel
Crouse-RNH-Bourgault
Holloway-McLeod-Janmark
Ryan, Malone

Nurse-Ceci
Chychrun-Bouchard
Kulak-de Haan
Niemelainen

Not sure what the cap would look like, but that's a solid looking team IMO.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
It's so typical with the 'MOAR SIZE AND HITSSSS.'
It's also why some posters here valued useless ass Josh Archibald more because he laid a useless hit.

Give me a player that actually contributes without having to resort to 'me big, me angry, me hit, me roarrrr.'
There's a fine line, because when the scoring dries up for a forward, I'd rather they go out and crash and bang for a momentum shift...if Yamamoto had the body of puljujari, we likely wouldn't even be able to afford the arbitration settlement...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If McLeod comes in at 1.175, that would leave an avergage of about 3.5 for JP and Yamamoto. I don't know, that seems high to me, especially for Puljujarvi. Some of the media folk have them coming in at under 3M, at around 2.5-2.7. I guess we'll see on that front. I do think they trade Foegele, with an outside chance of moving Barrie too.
I was responding to the suggestion that JP at $3.5M Yamamoto over $3M and McLoed at $1.5M would fit. If those three are on the team they need to be a lot closer to $6M than $8-8.5M.

I think they may get McLeod at about $1.1-1.2M, Yamamoto at about $2.5M with some luck. What I don't believe is that JP would be willing to sign under $3M. That is an issue.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just from looking at lineups in other team forums there are definitely places Foegele makes sense:

WPG- Have a hole at 3LW next to Lowry and Appleton
CHI- Their best LW is AA lmao, could be a pump and dump candidate for them
ANH- I mentioned a Foegele for Jones swap prior, he would be an Eakins favorite
SJS- Like Anaheim we could target a lower-end forward, Sharks lack proven talent in their bottom six
DAL- Even once they get Robertson signed they will have a hole on the third line and a ton of cap space

Holland should be able to find a landing place for him if he tries.
I don't think that any team is actively looking at overpaying players for what they bring to the table. Teams like Winnipeg and Buffalo should be trade targets since they have a hard time signing players anyway and would likely have to overpay much like we've had to in the past.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Not sure why the teams scared of JP's arbitration. I doubt the Arbitrator is sitting there, parsing out analytics on players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad