GDT: Free Agent "Frenzy": Day 2 and Beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Kuemper or swing back around to Vegas for MAF for a year?

And this was the year there were supposed to be deals on FA goalies.
It’s actually pretty crazy how virtually all these guys have found a way to get paid, just with not much term for any of them.

I would be shocked if we don’t just re-sign Smith now

Reactions: gordonhught

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
On second thought, maybe not MAF - he has two more years at 7mil - Vegas would have to retain half to even make it worth considering - and if you were going to do that, might as well have signed Greiss

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I think it'll be Jimmy Howard who gets signed.

Ken Holland, initials are KH

Holland knows him obviously.

Koskinen/Howard also abbreviates to KH.

Andy Kaufman has gone wrestling if you believe we landed a man on the moon.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
This probably won’t be a well received suggestion but I wonder if a reunion with Anders Nilsson makes sense. Ottawa would probably like to move him since they’ve got Murray now, and they’re also very high on Hogberg who isn’t waiver exempt anymore. Cost would likely be super low, maybe a swap for Chiasson?

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
Edit for clarification...

Trade our 2nd for Fluery @ 50% retained and a 1st, trade Russel and Vegas 1st for Ottawa 3rd.

I'm here all day.

Last edited:

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
This probably won’t be a well received suggestion but I wonder if a reunion with Anders Nilsson makes sense. Ottawa would probably like to move him since they’ve got Murray now, and they’re also very high on Hogberg who isn’t waiver exempt anymore. Cost would likely be super low, maybe a swap for Chiasson?

Assuming he is on a cheap contract and it would save us on the cap (so we could get back after some unqualified RFAs), I would definitely do it. I still think Nilsson is "pretty good" and could deliver a solid 25-30 games.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
No worries, if we wait long enough it will be easy for Holland to argue that Smith was the only option available.
I think we’re there...

‘Too bad they can’t get MAF to waive his NTC to come here....there’s something I thought I’d never say...lol

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton

That’s actually a good idea, the cap hit is almost a wash and Ottawa needs forwards considering they only have 6 signed. Picking up a goalie via trade would be better because we’d save cap space if we traded Chiasson to acquire a goalie, instead of free agency. Nilsson also had a pretty good year statistically, especially for the team he had in front of him.

Reactions: nabob

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
There were reports about VGK offering Fleury at 50% retained and throwing in a 2nd round pick. I'd do that.
Was it at 50% retained? Afaik they want to unload him to make room for Pietrangelo, and that only works if someone takes his full salary.

On top of that, we'd have to account for the fact that we'd be gifting a division rival a #1 defenseman for us to get a G who was unspectacular last year.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Does Boston have the best cap situation in the NHL? I have to say yes. They have more than enough room to sign Hall and maybe even another impact player. I can't believe how good of shape that team is in. (I'm betting that's where Hall ends up.)

Reactions: Faelko

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Well that doesn’t make sense.

Would rather keep Rusell for the year if it costs the Vegas first.

I would do MAF at 50% retained and Vegas first. Vegas may balk at the first and you have to send something back.

Having said that MAF at 50% retained and the Vegas second I would do. It is for two years. I might then turn around and flip Koskinen and sign Dell.

MAF and Dell. Get the Vegas second rounder and turn Koskinen into another second rounder or defenseman. Koskinen to Carolina for Hayden Fleury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad