GDT: FREE AGENT FRENZY COVID STYLE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
For all of the posters saying “couldn’t Chevy beat that for Schmidt?”...do you not realize Nate Schmidt would have to waive for Winnipeg :huh:...he is on a long-term deal with NTC.

Cripes gang, it wouldn’t have mattered if Chevy had offered Laine :laugh:. How is that difficult to understand?
Boychuk has negative value. That's not debatable anymore, he's not an NHL defenseman even if he was getting league minimum.

And the Weeger talks came out completely separate from the Schmidt talks. I don't think they were linked at all.
Thats my take. Why in the world would Chevy give up a prospect of some value, potentially still valuable to our roster for an over-the-hill unworthy player, costs alot of salary $ still, who may not help the team in the immediate with his play and even moving Perreault's salary, you are taking on more and losing your trade chip in Roslovic for what value??

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I get that but why were so many in on Schmidt coming here? He wasn't going to sign here anyways?
I knew he was a waste of "options".

Media just drumming things up. Most had the Jets getting Weager in a three way deal between the Knights and Panthers anyhow.

Reactions: Buffdog

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I’m interested to see what happens with Roslovic. Seemingly, he’s requested a change scenery(Pomo strikes again).

interesting to see the value he carries around the league. Thank god for draft pedigree.

Pomo strikes again by not playing him ahead of Scheifele, Little, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Wheeler, and then watching Roslovic do almost nothing when given more ice time.

People see a useful forward caught behind better talent.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Pomo strikes again by not playing him ahead of Scheifele, Little, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Wheeler, and then watching Roslovic do almost nothing when given more ice time.

Yup, the only place in the top 6 he may have had a shot at was the second line C slot but Moe doesn't see him as a center. He isn't beating out Laine or Wheeler for a top 6 RW slot. Just a matter of having better players ahead of you. He was used appropriately this past year outside of not getting a longer look at C.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

While you're not wrong, PoMo is the one who is stuck in the idea of having 3rd and 4th be grindy defensive lines, which doesn't fit Roslo.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Something to think about while we lick our wounds and wait for the real story to come out.

Alex Pietrangelo went 4th overall in the 2008 draft and just signed a $61.6M contract

Guess who went 3rd overall that year and just signed a $1M contract?

You can never tell how things will work out, even with high first rounders.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003

I can't wait until Lowry's gone. Haven't had a single 30+ point player who played exclusively on that 3rd line with him as the Center. We'll never have 3 scoring lines as long as he's here.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Then why is it the top destination on NTC/NMCs? Don't get me wrong I like Winnipeg. I'm from Saskatchewan and it's even more of a barren wasteland here. But give me the choice of Vancouver vs. Winnipeg as short term home? I don't care how good the team is, I'm taking Vancouver.

It's a fair point and wouldn't be surprised if it was the case. I just think there is also a chance he couldn't free up enough cap space to sign him .

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Heinola is playing great Hockey right now and will be up until the jets start if they start there is a top 4D.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Wow.

We couldn't top a f***ing 3rd round pick?

We probably could.

We probably however couldn't drop Schmidt's NTC team list. Unfortunate reality is that if a player has Winnipeg on their NTC then nothing we can do about that. People often forget tbe Winnipeg market effect. It's not for everyone and that's just the reality.

There is still Weegar. There is still hope.

Reactions: Flair Hay

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I can't wait until Lowry's gone. Haven't had a single 30+ point player who played exclusively on that 3rd line with him as the Center. We'll never have 3 scoring lines as long as he's here.

One more year. Lowry does get too much ice time.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Then why is it the top destination on NTC/NMCs? Don't get me wrong I like Winnipeg. I'm from Saskatchewan and it's even more of a barren wasteland here. But give me the choice of Vancouver vs. Winnipeg as short term home? I don't care how good the team is, I'm taking Vancouver.

Be careful wth that one, Vancouver is a city in decline, smaller cities are safer and more cost effective....

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
See, I'm different.
I'm signing with the team tha tgives me the best chance to get my name on the Stanley Cup.
They can travel wherever they want after the season is over and after they are retired.
That's just me though.

Reactions: DashingDane

Deleted member 218451

We probably could.

We probably however couldn't drop Schmidt's NTC team list. Unfortunate reality is that if a player has Winnipeg on their NTC then nothing we can do about that. People often forget tbe Winnipeg market effect. It's not for everyone and that's just the reality.

There is still Weegar. There is still hope.

Weeger, I would think, was only available if Panthers got Schmidt. Now they need him and options for LHD is pretty thin. See I guess.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Couldn’t agree more.
However, it’s not really Lowry’s fault. It’s not like he’s going to tell the coach that he’s not using his team’s talent properly.
This is on PoMo.

Reactions: AWSAA

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
See, I'm different.
I'm signing with the team tha tgives me the best chance to get my name on the Stanley Cup.
They can travel wherever they want after the season is over and after they are retired.
That's just me though.

A lot of guys will do towards the end of their career. Like Iginla. But even the Sedins didn't want to leave Vancouver to go Cup chasing. When you put roots down in a city, sometimes it's not always about what you want anymore when wives and kids are involved.

Reactions: Jets 31

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Schmidt wasn't a free agent though. I've never been to Winnipeg yet but it can't be as bad as you all are making it out to be. Just have to be better at selling it

Its not. Its a great city and far, far better than the rep it gets. The thing is, its not a "sexy" city for a lot of players. I would argue no small Canadian market is. Plus, depending on their partner, they may or may not want to come.

That said, it is the #1 NTC city for whatever reason it is. Those reasons vary by player and are specific to them; collectively players include it. This is why the organization focuses so much on being a great organization.

Its just the reality. If we had a perennial cup contending team it might be easier to attract players, but the perceptions about Winnipeg will always continue to persist.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Couldn’t agree more.
However, it’s not really Lowry’s fault. It’s not like he’s going to tell the coach that he’s not using his team’s talent properly.
This is on PoMo.

Gotta trade Laine next summer to afford Lowry's upcoming raise. You know PoMo will be lobbying Chevy hard to extend him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad