GDT: FREE AGENT FRENZY COVID STYLE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I think signing bonuses are a bigger issue. Wealthy teams can dump massive amounts of cash on day one. That's attractive to a player for sure

Tampa handed out NTC like candy and they've been lucky that their stars all accept bridge deals. Even now they need to dump salary and the NTCs are biting them.
This is a good point too. Really, both should be nixed. Of course, the NHL wants bigger markets and south markets to succeed so it’s unlikely to happen.

Reactions: Neuf

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Well so much for the crazy theory posited by some Jets fans that thought the Stastny trade was part 1 of a 2 part deal with Vegas involving Schmidt. There were some claims that because the Chevy played nice and overpaid (given market conditions) for Stats, McCrimmon would do the Jets GM a solid and pay them back by trading Schmidt to the Jets for Roslovic with the possible addition of a low pick. Laughable.

We are still easily a bottom-10 d in the league. Some might even say a bottom-5 or 7 D overall. I think we know what we have in Demelo, Morrissey and Pionk. All the other veterans are #5 - #10 defensemen.

It looks like Chevy is hoping Samberg will come in and promptly establish himself as a top-4 defenseman. That's almost certainly not going to happen for a first year player. It's not as if Samberg is some highly touted rookie d-man league-wide - not a Hughes, Makar, Heskanin....heck he is not anywhere near as hyped or projected to be as good as Morrissey or Trouba.

I'm actually optimistic that Samberg will establish himself as a top-3 or 4 d-man, but I think it is pretty unlikely to happen in year 1...not impossible, but pretty unlikely...especially if he is paired with a terrible d-zone guy like Pionk.

Most likely our second pair will include one of those mediocre #5 - #10 d-man and will stay that way unless Samberg absolutely shines and/or that particular d-man on the second pair is hurt.

Colorado is an easy pick for first. Despite the downgrades, St. Louis is still an easy pick for second. Winnipeg will be fighting tooth and nail with the likes of Dallas and Nashville for third to fifth place. Chicago feels a bit like a wild card with what appears to be a bad D but pretty good offense.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
That is too bad, definitely looks like Jets have something on the table.
And most likely beats the Canucks one.
That NMC sucks

They should remove that :)
You get paid in millions suck it up ;)

Hopefully something comes up again out od the left field.

Go Jets Go
How fun would that be? It would be like 2018 when we were upset that Vegas blocked a Brassard to WPG trade, only to find out we have a better trade out of left field in Stastny. One can hope I suppose...

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Imagine if we were both the number one team on NTC lists AND a cash strapped team. Things could be worse, at least we are able to make a play for/inquire about good players

Yeah if Jets were a cap floor team they'd be relocating.

I value that the Jets owners and managers understand the need to compete as a classy organization. We rag on loyalty, but mutual respect is a currency

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Figures , Chevy's lazy arse " go to" personal face-saving excuse. Q player outlisting Winnipeg as potential trade partner in a NM-C.
Lucky GM for having an excuse, he cannot control, eh!

Thing is, we don't know if Winnipeg was on his no-trade list. It might shock some people but just because a player has a ten city no-trade list it doesn't mean Winnipeg appears on it.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Winnipeg or not and NMCs aside, there were players available all off season for discounted rates that would improve our defence and could’ve come to Winnipeg (free agents, no clauses), but instead of calling them up and aggressively moving or buying out Perreault to make room, we’ve been cautious yet again and will instead trot out nearly the same ravaged defence that we’ve known about for a year and a half now. Other GMs are aggressive and make moves to get to where they want to be. They don’t just sit back and hope that eventually things work out.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Winnipeg or not and NMCs aside, there were players available all off season for discounted rates that would improve our defence and could’ve come to Winnipeg (free agents, no clauses), but instead of calling them up and aggressively moving or buying out Perreault to make room, we’ve been cautious yet again and will instead trot out nearly the same ravaged defence that we’ve known about for a year and a half now. Other GMs are aggressive and make moves to get to where they want to be. They don’t just sit back and hope that eventually things work out.
aggressive GM = riverboat gambler

Reactions: roccerfeller

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

Name 2 of them. Its easy to throw out crap without substance. Honestly, miss out on schmidt and now Chevy has done nothing? Is this Facebook where ppl have zero actual knowledge or hfboards where ppl understand things more. FFS the season is 2. 2.5 months away.... They aren't done yet.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Yeah if Jets were a cap floor team they'd be relocating.

I value that the Jets owners and managers understand the need to compete as a classy organization. We rag on loyalty, but mutual respect is a currency

Ummm...sorry to burst your bubble, but the Jets are virtually at the cap floor now. Under $30,000 remaining cap space and still have Roslovic, Harkins and Niku to resign, so?? According to you, where are the Jets relocating this time?
No disrespect, just trying to understand your first line there, in relation to where cap friendly says Jets cap space is as of yesterday, Oct11th.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

Ya, and free agency is over...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
How do Jets afford that, though? I guess they become cap compliant once season starts with LTIR available to remove Bryan Little's salary. Is Boychuk really a good answer and fit? He's pretty close to used tire/ spare parts category isn't he? For a pretty large salary still too.
I would really push for a younger present use, future solid player for a few years, fitting in our core and helping us grow toward further success. Offer up more to get it done with going after a Ryan Pulock, per se would seem more positive than going to the cap limit with old, old players that have had success, that you have to replace in a year or 2 anyways. May as well go after Ron Hainsey, too?

Boychuk is a shell of his former self, no argument here.

There's the availability issue though. Pulock isn't really available.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Genuinely don’t know what Chevy might try next. All of the depth signings makes me think Heinola is staying in Finland, Samberg is starting in AHL, Gustafsson staying in Sweden.

Are we really going to run Morrissey, DeMelo, Pionk, Forbort, Beaulieu, and Poolman as our blue line? If so, that’s atrocious. I just don’t know who we target now to turn this ship around. Shitty year to purposely tank too, both in terms of it being a weak draft and since Laine will be more pissed than ever before.

Reactions: Jets and jetswin

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Ummm...sorry to burst your bubble, but the Jets are virtually at the cap floor now. Under $30,000 remaining cap space and still have Roslovic, Harkins and Niku to resign, so?? Accordingyo you, wher are the Jets relocating this time?
No disrespect, just trying to understand your first line there, in relation to where cap friendly says Jets cap space is as of yesterday, Oct11th.
The floor is the bottom.

brendan smith

May 14, 2018
Free Agency should be the place to decide playing destination.

Anyhow... Is it safe to say that we roll the dice in January and see how the season unfolds before trading assets (Roslovic) at the TDL.

Might have better luck picking up a Top D that will be willing to waive an NMC for a contending team.

Also, I think we would get more value if we waited for the TDL.

pray to god Helley can stand on his head again in front of a developing D squad come January.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016

Canucks fans were just saying the same thing and guess what they sat back and got Schmidt. I am going to have patience for the next couple days. I would have loved Schmidt, hard to see us acquiring anyone with his track record on the market right now that would have put us squarely in the top 4 of the conference.

Reactions: roccerfeller

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
You know our D isn’t that bad. A full season of Demelo, add Samberg who I think is ready. Forbort is a nice add. Run:
Jmo Demelo
Forbort Pionk
Samberg Poolman
Beaulieu

Sure it would be nice to get Weegar. I’d love a PP QB which is why I wanted Schmidt. But with a proper system and complete buy in that D is adequate. What could Trotz do with our lineup? Let’s play a better system.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Name 2 of them. Its easy to throw out crap without substance. Honestly, miss out on schmidt and now Chevy has done nothing? Is this Facebook where ppl have zero actual knowledge or hfboards where ppl understand things more. FFS the season is 2. 2.5 months away.... They aren't done yet.

Dubas
McCrimmon
Rutherford
MacClellan
Bowman

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Thing is, we don't know if Winnipeg was on his no-trade list. It might shock some people but just because a player has a ten city no-trade list it doesn't mean Winnipeg appears on it.
Gotcha. Just throwing in my angst we missed out on another potential decent player that some other team got for less we easily could have afforded, offered.
Others said 8t was gecause he had 10-team NMC and thus Winnipeg was out of the race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad