GDT: Free Agent Frenzy--9am PST, 7/1/15

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Very surprised Franson, Oduya and Ehrhoff are still out there. Joel Ward too? Wtf is happening lol

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah, free agency has been very fair. GMs are starting to learn. Like I said, I might be in the minority here but Franson would be perfect next to McNabb. Doubt it's going to happen.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Yeah, free agency has been very fair. GMs are starting to learn. Like I said, I might be in the minority here but Franson would be perfect next to McNabb. Doubt it's going to happen.

That pairing would be a defensive disaster unless Mcnabb has all of a sudden improves tremendously in his own end.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Stuff had to happen because of the cap not raising much in addition to more teams are coming up close to it (there's only finite cap space to spend).

I like the IDEA of Franson but he's just too slow to put next to McNabb. that would basically be a Schultz-Greene pairing with better hands and bigger minutes.

niomosy

May 23, 2012
It definitely seems to be a buyers market right now and GMs are waiting for high-priced players to look to a more moderate contract.

Curious to see what the higher priced UFAs end up signing for.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Kopitar is going to be looking for Toews money and he's going to get it or damn close to it.

Kopitar is easily worth $1.5MM more than ROR so let's put that cap hit at $9MM for starters.

Ron*

Extend him for $9.5 MM so we can have a 999-post thread dedicated to whether we overpaid and be done with it.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Buffalo isn't going to trade for him, and then not sign him. They're pretty much in the same boat as the Kings with Kopitar, just in a different way. Sign him to a huge contract, don't sign him, either way, you're going to get ripped.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Buffalo isn't going to trade for him, and then not sign him. They're pretty much in the same boat as the Kings with Kopitar, just in a different way. Sign him to a huge contract, don't sign him, either way, you're going to get ripped.

Could always Sweeney him for draft picks.

Kings will be lucky if Kopitar asks for less then 10, unlucky if not.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The Saad contract is wild too.

He's Toffoli with more national exposure. Toffoli just signed a team friendly deal to stay in LA while Saad forced his way out of Chicago to get $6MM for six years.

Toffoli will get paid on his next deal if his trajectory continues but, man, I feel like the Toffoli extension was glossed over since it took place on draft day. Such a clutch signing.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
Buffalo just slit their own throats imo. Eichel in short time will be demanding 1c money and what about last years #3 OA C Rienhart? the Sabres are facing cap trouble right when they are ready to compete.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Buffalo just slit their own throats imo. Eichel in short time will be demanding 1c money and what about last years #3 OA C Rienhart? the Sabres are facing cap trouble right when they are ready to compete.

Exactly. VERY poor signing. Unnecessary overpayment, ROR is a luxury, and they're just hoping they can DL bridge deal everyone I guess.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Saad at 6 AAV doesn't seem like highway robbery to me. sure, he hasn't proven that he can be one of the main contributors on a team, but to me was one of the scarier guys when LA played Chicago. More so than guys like Sharp, Richards, Hossa...

O' Rielly at 7.5 is laughable though. Buffalo will be able to afford it cause so many of their guys will be on entry level deals, but in a vacuum, he's not worth anywhere near that. I had to do a double take. I guess he's thought of as a good locker-room guy? With what Giguerre said about that room a few years back, and a fair number of the same guys still being there, and their huge regression last year, I don't know how much stock I'd put in that.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
The money is high but they knew what he'd cost before they made the trade. I think it's a good move, you want a guy to take some pressure away from your rookies. This way they have a guy that can line up against top competition and they can let Eichel ease his way into the league. Besides O'Reilly is only 24.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
Exactly. VERY poor signing. Unnecessary overpayment, ROR is a luxury, and they're just hoping they can DL bridge deal everyone I guess.

O'Reilly is a proven NHL Center. This is a UFA signing as his RFA rights expire after next season. He'll be 32 when this new contract expires. They have him locked up for his prime years and very little more.

It's a smart signing by one of the smartest executives in the league.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007

You're already talking about Eichel's next contract when he literally signed his Entry level deal less than a week ago. Absurd.

If Rienhart develops and doesn't want to accept a reasonable contract you deal him. It's as simple as that.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
7.5 is a lot for the guy. I'm mean, that's elite center money he's getting for a player barely into his pro career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad