GDT: Free Agent Frenzy (9 AM PT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Kadri is even older than Kesler was, right? When Kes signed that deal.

Kes got ruined by bad injuries tho, so it should be a bit better for Calgary

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Thats a damn good haul to take on Monahan. At this point in the offseason, its one of my only last gripes about PV. I get that we have an internal cap, but this is chess. If you can buy draft picks, you do it while you expect to have a ton of space.

Kadri to CGY I actually think is a good move for them. Maybe not for the long term, but look at who they lost and how well they did last year. They are in their window now. If you can win in the next 2 years, who cares about 5-7 years from now. Cap will only go up so the cap liability will only diminish over the years. By year 7, the cap could have gone up by $7mil. They had to do something.

That is a lot of fine print.

So its top 10 protected up until a certain point... or something.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I must be the only one here that thinks Calgary upgraded and then some. Oh well. :dunno:
Short term they upgraded but they will make things more difficult for themselves down the road. Some cap management will he required.
They still have a solid roster of course and should be contenders at least next couple of years

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Calgary has some good young prospect forwards coming up @Zegs2sendhelp mentioned.
If they pan out their window will last a little longer.
Also Huberdeau is from the same draft as Gaudreau, its only Kadri replacing Monahan that is noticeably getting older.

One part i like about their upgrade
Huberdeau isn't soft like Gaudreau.
Kadri is even meaner than Tkachuck.
They are gonna be pretty tough in the playoffs vs watching Johnny Hockey get bounced out.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I must be the only one here that thinks Calgary upgraded and then some. Oh well. :dunno:

It’s essentially Tkachuk and Gaudreau for Kadri, Huberdeau and Weegar.

I take the former two over the latter three any day of the week. Especially so when factoring in age and contract situation.

I’ll give Treliving credit, on paper the Flames are only going to be a slightly worse team than last year and it wasn’t his fault he got dealt an absolutely terrible hand with the Tkachuk/Gaudreau contract situations. But Calgary is going to be worse off medium to long term after this off-season.

Calgary has some good young prospect forwards coming up @Zegs2sendhelp mentioned.
If they pan out their window will last a little longer.
Also Huberdeau is from the same draft as Gaudreau, its only Kadri replacing Monahan that is noticeably getting older.

One part i like about their upgrade
Huberdeau isn't soft like Gaudreau.
Kadri is even meaner than Tkachuck.
They are gonna be pretty tough in the playoffs vs watching Johnny Hockey get bounced out.

Kadri isn’t meaner than Tkachuk. Tkachuk blows Kadri out of the water at every aspect of hockey.

And Huberdeau may not be as soft as Gaudreau but he’s far worse in his own end and is also known for disappearing acts in the playoffs.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Short term they upgraded but they will make things more difficult for themselves down the road. Some cap management will he required.
They still have a solid roster of course and should be contenders at least next couple of years
The Flames Pro Scout 'Bob Murray' probably loves that the Flames signed Kadri.
Bob has always had a thing for tough as nails centers like Kesler whom he scouted for the Canucks in 2003 and later traded for.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
The Flames Pro Scout 'Bob Murray' probably loves that the Flames signed Kadri.
Bob has always had a thing for tough as nails centers like Kesler whom he scouted for the Canucks in 2003 and later traded for.

weird take, Kesler and Kadri are two different players.

Kesler also made the Ducks highly competitive until his body couldn't keep up anymore.

I take the former two over the latter three any day of the week. Especially so when factoring in age and contract situation.

I’ll give Treliving credit, on paper the Flames are only going to be a slightly worse team than last year and it wasn’t his fault he got dealt an absolutely terrible hand with the Tkachuk/Gaudreau contract situations. But Calgary is going to be worse off medium to long term after this off-season.

I guess we can agree to disagree. 100 point players don't grow on trees. I've always come across threads throughout the season questioning Tkachuks compete level and consistency. But, we will see as the season progresses

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I think Calgary arguably upgraded in the next 1-2 years. But they seem destined for a hard fall and major cap issues. If they win a cup, no one will care. If they don't, then its going to be really ugly on the back end of the Kadri and Huberdeau deals. REALLY ugly.

And FWIW, I think Weegar will get an equally bad contract because Calgary is all in at this point.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

Kadri isn’t meaner than Tkachuk. Tkachuk blows Kadri out of the water at every aspect of hockey.

And Huberdeau may not be as soft as Gaudreau but he’s far worse in his own end and is also known for disappearing acts in the playoffs.

It likely depends on chemistry and playoff performance too. Tkachuk wasn't great in the post season. Time will tell

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
islanders.jpg

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Canes loading up depth. Good for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events