GDT: Free Agent Frenzy (9 AM PT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I don't know why everyone is lauding Calgary for this, it seems like a terrible move. I guess they are going all in on something though, that's better than most of the league.
do we know what the AAV is? if it's not too much then it's not a bad move for them

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Islanders without Kadri do they make the playoffs as is ? I feel the Senators will make the playoffs and possibly NJ too, so its gonna be a tougher conference for Islanders to play in.

Reactions: Kalv
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I’m guessing Monahan wouldn’t accept a deal here. Considering his contract status and current injury, I’m assuming he would just block trades to high tax areas.

Montreal isn't exactly that. More likely is that's just not something Verbeek is looking to do. He hasn't taken on a cap dump yet and everything's close to sorted out, kind of doubt he goes that route now.

Reactions: Kalv and Static

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
7x7 ain't the worst but yeah... always risk with an older guy.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
You could say the same thing about the Blackhawks and DeBrincat/Dach. But they’re still quality players.

I don’t quite get why the Yotes want to move him, it looks like they’re going to go as hard after Bedard as possible and they don’t see him extending there when his contract is up.
One of our sons lives in AZ and is as big Coyotes fan, also a big Duck's fan, and his impression is that he originally was not available, but as teams inquired Armstrong decided to see how much they could get.

I also think Chychrun would like to move on to a team that has more of an obvious future.

But if a deal can't be made, AZ will roll with him. If he kills it this year they are in a better position, to keep or move. If he blows up and gets hurt, they are not overpaying like Erik Karlsson.

John

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don't know why everyone is lauding Calgary for this, it seems like a terrible move. I guess they are going all in on something though, that's better than most of the league.

Completely agree. Last year was an anomaly for Kadri (he normally consistently paces for between 45-55 points) and he just signed a retirement deal for a team he wanted no business going to until all his other options ran out. He’s 32 going into next season, that’s right around the time the wheels start falling off for most players.

In 5 years Calgary is going to be paying Huberdeau and Kadri almost $18M combined when they’re 34 and 37 respectively. The worst thing is they will still have term left at that point.

I get a team like Tampa going all in and sacrificing their future cap flexibility because they’re an elite team. Calgary isn’t at the level they should be going all in IMO. A better Flames team just got curb-stomped by the Oilers last season.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
We should sign Kessel.. Dude would be Dynamite with Zegras...
The Ducks will probably have agree to giving Kessel a guarantee to play 18 straight games so he can pass Yandle get to 1000 consequetive games. He is 7 games behind Yandle.

Our son said Kessel pretty much played not to get hurt. The Coyotes even let him play one shift and flew him back to Phoenix for the birth of his daughter and keep his streak alive.

John

Reactions: Fuhrious

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Completely agree. Last year was an anomaly for Kadri (he normally consistently paces for between 45-55 points) and he just signed a retirement deal for a team he wanted no business going to until all his other options ran out. He’s 32 going into next season, that’s right around the time the wheels start falling off for most players.

In 5 years Calgary is going to be paying Huberdeau and Kadri almost $18M combined when they’re 34 and 37 respectively. The worst thing is they will still have term left at that point.

I get a team like Tampa going all in and sacrificing their future cap flexibility because they’re an elite team. Calgary isn’t at the level they should be going all in IMO. A better Flames team just got curb-stomped by the Oilers last season.
I think the flames will be pretty strong at least the next 3-4 years.... they have some pretty good young forwards coming up too in Coranato/Pelletier ruzicka and Zary.

They defense is pretty strong, id rank them in the top 5 league wise.

They lose Lucic next year, and they can prob sell high on Markstrom once wolf is ready.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think the flames will be pretty strong at least the next 3-4 years.... they have some pretty good young forwards coming up too in Coranato/Pelletier ruzicka and Zary.

They defense is pretty strong, id rank them in the top 5 league wise.

They lose Lucic next year, and they can prob sell high on Markstrom once wolf is ready.

Their D is good but I wouldn’t say it’s top 5. Hanafin and Andersson are both good 2-3 dmen but neither are elite play driving forces who can dominate in all situations. Weegar is good but very mistake prone and he’s a UFA at the end of the year.

Up front they either have core players who are locked up well into their 30s or they have core players who have two years of term left (Lindholm and Toffoli). Kadri is 32 at the start of the year and has 7 years left. Backlund is 33, Coleman turns 31 at the start of the year and has 5 years left. Huberdeau is only 29 but he’s signed until he’s 38!

Markstrom is also 32, turning 33 during the season.

They basically have a team that has a two year window to win. The problem is they’re in a tier below all the top teams, they’ve got this short window with not enough talent to beat the truly elite teams like Tampa or Colorado. They couldn’t even get by the Oilers last year and that was with a better roster than they’re icing going into this season.

Reactions: Duck Off

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
LOL at Calgary. After signing Hubs, signing Kadri makes sense to complete their turnaround from having a great offseason to a terrible one and trying to compete for this season and beyond. But this is just another terrible decision for them. They're not close to being an elite team as other have said. They'll win the division and stranger things have happened, but once the decline starts, it'll get pretty bad, unless they draft and develop really really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad