GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would feel superior if our goalie situation was better, they do have Igor. Maybe Quick does ok with a light workload.
If he only has to play so many games, maybe it’s passable.

Lavi rides his starters more (I think?) so maybe you’ll see more Igor than under Gallant.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

From Camden, NJ.

13F74267-91B1-49C3-B38F-C66E563A61D8.jpeg

He didn’t carry on his father’s legacy. Oh well.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Quick is also likely to cost them quite them a few points if the plan isn't to play Igor 60-65 games and he doesn't stay healthy enough to do that. Possibly even more than that, the more games he has to play.

But I could also see a scenario where the plug is pulled quickly and he has to retire in the middle of the year because he gets shellacked too much, like Marty Biron for them a couple of weeks into the 13-14 season or Nabokov with the Lightning in 14-15.

He'd also be in great company with Marty Brodeur for goalies that retired in the middle of an active NHL season.
I still find it bizarre he had a shutout during his Blues tenor

• Wow
Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still find it bizarre he had a shutout during his Blues tenor
I was glad he got it because it landed on 125, which is a nice and round number.

What was kind of annoying was that he played there for just a month only to go from like 688 wins to like 691, which was not much of a round number.

At the end of the day, I was one of the people that vehemently had no interest in him coming back for the 14-15 season in any kind of role at at all. So I don't feel like I reserve much of a right to lambast him for playing elsewhere, when I didn't want him coming back anyway.

It's a little weird though, but I think if he hit 700 and lasted an entire season there, I wouldn't think it was as weird, but the fact that he played somewhere else, only to be there for like a month really made it seem not worth it.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
I was glad he got it because it landed on 125, which is a nice and round number.

What was kind of annoying was that he played there for just a month only to go from like 688 wins to like 691, which was not much of a round number.

At the end of the day, I was one of the people that vehemently had no interest in him coming back for the 14-15 season in any kind of role at at all. So I don't feel like I reserve much of a right to lambast him for playing elsewhere, when I didn't want him coming back anyway.

It's a little weird though, but I think if he hit 700 and lasted an entire season there, I wouldn't think it was as weird, but the fact that he played somewhere else, only to be there for like a month really made it seem not worth it.
Ehh good on him for realizing his quality was not worth hanging on just to get to 700. Also it allowed him to be on the Blues alumni game and play with Gretzky

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
If Towes,Kane and Parise comes included with a time machine from 2009 that would be a bundle to heavily consider right now.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ehh good on him for realizing his quality was not worth hanging on just to get to 700. Also it allowed him to be on the Blues alumni game and play with Gretzky
I don't think he had much of a choice after that. Brian Elliott was injured at the time they brought Marty in and when he got healthy after a month, that was the end of Marty because they already had Jake Allen on their roster.

Maybe if Marty had signed with a bad team he may have lasted the entire year without something like that happening.

I was dead against him coming back, but if he was still interested in playing and hadn't signed with the Blues yet by about December, I would have probably been open to the idea of letting him play the end of the year out here and signing him then. Especially when we were going out of our way to not play other goalies that weren't Schneider and the only non-Schneider goalie to start a game for us before like the second week of December that year was Scott Clemmensen of all people. I would have said to just let Marty run it as Schneider's backup the rest of the year. Especially after Pete was fired and he wouldn't have started gifting Marty starts.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

If Lou doesn't make the Cory trade we either get McDavid/Eichel and Marty gets 700 wins.

But clearly everything happens for a reason.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I would imagine that there is little chance he actually clears. He's been a bust, but at less than 2 million for the next 2 years, there's 0 reason for a team like Philly or San Jose or whomever not to take a shot to just see if something is there.

Zadina's contract escalates, so a team would be inheriting 4.36 million over 2 years in real dollars which could rule out somebody like Arizona. Feel like that's not something San Jose would be looking to do necessarily. Their attendance plummeted last season so they might have to be more judicious with the spending. Although one scenario I could see if Zadina clears is San Jose sending back an unwanted contract to Detroit. Sharks have 7 D on one way deals and maybe need to open up a spot for Henry Thrun or Nikita Okhotiuk. So they could ship back Nikolai Knyzhov (2 years x 1.1) and a marginal asset.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I was digging around the 2018 draft after I saw Zadina got waived. It’s still kinda early to judge, but so far it’s looking like a pretty weak draft and an AWFUL draft for forwards. Sharangovich is the 5th highest scoring forward out of the whole draft, and 8th overall.

Hard to fault Detroit for taking Zadina (or the Devils for taking Ty Smith) when so few high end players have been drafted after them.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I was digging around the 2018 draft after I saw Zadina got waived. It’s still kinda early to judge, but so far it’s looking like a pretty weak draft and an AWFUL draft for forwards. Sharangovich is the 5th highest scoring forward out of the whole draft, and 8th overall.

Hard to fault Detroit for taking Zadina (or the Devils for taking Ty Smith) when so few high end players have been drafted after them.
A crazy stat is that as of right now, only 6 players taken after Ty Smith in the entire draft have scored more points than Smith has so far in his NHL career.

That is both hilarious and sad.

Another fun one you can pull right now, Ty Smith has more points than the two players taken directly before and two players taken directly after him have combined for so far in their four NHL careers. All four of them are forwards.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Zadina's contract escalates, so a team would be inheriting 4.36 million over 2 years in real dollars which could rule out somebody like Arizona. Feel like that's not something San Jose would be looking to do necessarily. Their attendance plummeted last season so they might have to be more judicious with the spending. Although one scenario I could see if Zadina clears is San Jose sending back an unwanted contract to Detroit. Sharks have 7 D on one way deals and maybe need to open up a spot for Henry Thrun or Nikita Okhotiuk. So they could ship back Nikolai Knyzhov (2 years x 1.1) and a marginal asset.

It also depends on what a team’s depth at RW is like because Zadina reportedly didn’t do so well when switched to LW.

If Detroit is dumping him you don’t need to be Sherlock Holmes to guess DeBrincat is happening.

Breaking his leg in November and then missing the rest of the season due to LBI in March wasn’t the best start to his 3 year deal, he only played 30 games last season.

I still think he can turn into something, though a lost season last year didn’t help.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm not understanding this one. He hasn't been good and that's a bad contract that's way too long for them to even retain salary.

Good luck to everyone involved. I just hope it's not us.

Yeah, I don't really get this one either - and in fairness, I don't see Seravalli posting anything about it on his Twitter account, though the one I linked is legit.

Crazy that he's still only halfway through his 8 year contract and these are his stats so far:

1688412245568.png

Can't see any team touching this contract.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Maybe they'll send him to Chicago or some place like that, after he refuses to play another game for Anaheim lol.

Young, washed up bum that gets outplayed or at least evened by guys like Stolarz and young prospects like Dostal.

I'm not understanding this one. He hasn't been good and that's a bad contract that's way too long for them to even retain salary.

Good luck to everyone involved. I just hope it's not us.
Yeah, I don't really get this one either - and in fairness, I don't see Seravalli posting anything about it on his Twitter account, though the one I linked is legit.

Crazy that he's still only halfway through his 8 year contract and these are his stats so far:

View attachment 725803
Can't see any team touching this contract.
Even if you wanna argue Anaheim sucks and makes the goalies look worse, it's not like he's doing any better than Stolarz, Dostal and the second to last year of Ryan Miller, who was 39 years old at the time.

So in conclusion, he's JAG at best and he's signed for $6+ million per.

Some teams like Vegas or Minnesota could probably make him look adequate again or better than adequate, but they have CHEAPER goalies than him. Even old man MAF I think only makes roughly half of what he makes and he's signed for just this upcoming year and that's it.

Reactions: HBK27

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

its draft classes like that which really set rebuilds back. if you are an unlucky team to have like 3 picks in the first round woof.

looking back honestly everyone should've just wanted him to stay and go for 700. the franchise wasn't going anywhere during that time.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

TF1970

May 9, 2021
I don’t see how Anaheim can move gibson unless they retain like 50%. And still probably wouldn’t get any notable value for him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
looking back honestly everyone should've just wanted him to stay and go for 700. the franchise wasn't going anywhere during that time.
We only missed the playoffs by 5 points the year before, and with 0 shootout wins in 13 shootout appearances.

Looking back on it, that team probably overachieved to have such good possession numbers. It was an old team and couldn't score, and played very low event hockey. They didn't give up many chances, nor generate a whole lot either, but still generated a bit more than the gave up, if I remember correctly. Jagr also turned the clock back quite a few years that season. He was still good the next year, but not nearly that good. It was basically the same team the next season, but it was already an old team that was another year older and guys like Zubrus and Ryder were really falling apart. Havlat (who we signed that offseason) was really broke when he got here and had been injury riddled for years by that point and as sad as this was at the time and probably would have drawn a lot of ridicule, Ruutu was probably a considerable downgrades from.............Andrei Loktionov. But still, that team wasn't far from a playoff berth. Pretty sure it was never winning a round, barring a really hot Schneider stealing a series.

So I think it was reasonable to think that team, only with Schneider playing 60 games instead of a little over 40, could get a playoff berth, and having Brodeur sitting back there did not seem to be conducive in ensuring Schneider got that many games in. And there was also the idea that Cory might not wanna sign an extension if we f***ed around by bringing Marty back. He never said anything like he wouldn't, but would anyone blame him if he didn't want to? After sitting 4 and now potentially 5 years of his NHL career behind either Luongo or Brodeur and being 28 years old by that point?

Now, like I said, that season was lost by December, which was right around the time Brodeur was making his debut for the Blues. If Marty were still sitting out there hoping to catch on for a team and hadn't already signed in St. Louis, I would have been all for bringing him back for one last go. With how bad that team was, it still wouldn't have ensured he would have gotten the 12 or 13 more wins needed to hit 700 by December onward, unless he was playing almost of all of the games.

There were some people who wanted Marty to come back in January of that season after he was done with the Blues and they had no more use for him, but at that point it was almost like ''Why even bother?'' after he had already played for another organization anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad