GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
They can buy out Murray if Liljegren files for arbitration, which seems likely. That gives them $4M in additional space. Still feels like another move is coming, though.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Also WTF are Flames doing?

These are their recent signings:
12014AAF-37F4-4BA7-AD8E-B9777C0FF573.jpeg

And they have to move Backlund, Lindholm and Hanifin?

Sure, Winnipeg only got 1 trade done too but they got a lot from that one at least.

Weird.

Camille the Eel

Buffalo certainly is making a push in signing Clifton and Johnson. (Though I really thought Johnson is more or less played out). But that’s another defense pair right there to add to their two brilliant former first overall picks back there.

With their forward depth, if they get some goaltending maybe they are ready to make the leap next year the Devils did last season and seriously to compete with Boston, Toronto, the declining Bolts.

Something to watch. The caveat being that we’ve seen this scenario so many times before, and every year the Sabres seem to find a way to self destruct, be it only one disastrous losing spell that capsizes them.

Ottawa has been very passive this year. What to make of them too next season?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wheeler is about to turn 37 and is a terrible defensive player. They will likely be #3 in the division but Wheeler is a player that could easily hurt them more than help.
Quick is also likely to cost them quite them a few points if the plan isn't to play Igor 60-65 games and he doesn't stay healthy enough to do that. Possibly even more than that, the more games he has to play.

But I could also see a scenario where the plug is pulled quickly and he has to retire in the middle of the year because he gets shellacked too much, like Marty Biron for them a couple of weeks into the 13-14 season or Nabokov with the Lightning in 14-15.

He'd also be in great company with Marty Brodeur for goalies that retired in the middle of an active NHL season.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Buffalo certainly is making a push in signing Clifton and Johnson. (Though I really thought Johnson is more or less played out). But that’s another defense pair right there to add to their two brilliant former first overall picks back there.

With their forward depth, if they get some goaltending maybe they are ready to make the leap next year the Devils did last season and seriously to compete with Boston, Toronto, the declining Bolts.

Something to watch. The caveat being that we’ve seen this scenario so many times before, and every year the Sabres seem to find a way to self destruct, be it only one disastrous losing spell that capsizes them.

Ottawa has been very passive this year. What to make of them too next season?

The Sabres were 3rd in scoring and are only getting more talented. They need to keep the puck out of the net more, that’s their issue. They were 7th worst in GA.

They’re a real chance the Sabres end up the best team in the league in couple of years with the talent they still have coming.

Their team building was never like this before, they got Eichel and few young pieces and then then did some dumb shit.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The Sabres were 3rd in scoring and are only getting more talented. They need to keep the puck out of the net more, that’s their issue. They were 7th worst in GA.

They’re a real chance the Sabres end up the best team in the league in couple of years with the talent they still have coming.

Their team building was never like this before, they got Eichel and few young pieces and then then did some dumb shit.

There is precedent around the league that if your up and coming team is a little late in making the playoffs, it’s time to do some dumb shit, so more dumb shit may be in their future and we can only hope.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Quick is also likely to cost them quite them a few points if the plan isn't to play Igor 60-65 games and he doesn't stay healthy enough to do that. Possibly even more than that, the more games he has to play.

But I could also see a scenario where the plug is pulled quickly and he has to retire in the middle of the year because he gets shellacked too much, like Marty Biron for them a couple of weeks into the 13-14 season or Nabokov with the Lightning in 14-15.

He'd also be in great company with Marty Brodeur for goalies that retired in the middle of an active NHL season.

I would feel superior if our goalie situation was better, they do have Igor. Maybe Quick does ok with a light workload.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
There is precedent around the league that if your up and coming team is a little late in making the playoffs, it’s time to do some dumb shit, so more dumb shit may be in their future and we can only hope.

Eh, this GM isn’t making mistakes and they’ll make the playoffs soon enough.

He’s been cautious and they’ve gathered so many assets that they can make moves easily and still keep all their players and key prospects.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I would imagine that there is little chance he actually clears. He's been a bust, but at less than 2 million for the next 2 years, there's 0 reason for a team like Philly or San Jose or whomever not to take a shot to just see if something is there.
I could see MTL taking a swing if he gets to them. Seems like the type of move they’d make right now.

Reactions: Dialamo and Forge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad