GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - 2022, GM's gone wild edition

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
First off, Kadri is not a "cancer" that's ridiculous. If you'd said it about Evander Kane or someone like that I might believe you, but Kadri just helped his team win the cup. Took them over the top. Definitely not a cancer.

Your concern is way off base as well. So the best players play on the PP and teams score on the PP so stay away from those guys? Illogical.

Lastly, the lowly Sabres. Kadri wouldn't make them a "contender" but he might get them into the playoffs as a wild card and that would be huge for the franchise and it's attempt to rebuild a culture. Players might even stop listing Buffalo in their 10 team no trade clauses if that happens. As for the development space, yes, they have numerous young players, but they also have some big holes and a solid #2 C is one of those holes. Cozens isn't ready to be that guy yet. Moving him to Kadri's wing or #3 C would help him immensely.

It boggles my mind to think you can make an argument that a team wouldn't be better by adding a guy like Kadri. Just can't figure that logic out.

You obviously misread my entire post or I wrote it poorly, but rereading it, I don't believe one should have had the take-aways you did if it was actually read.

First, I said he is a cancer in the league, not his team. Kadri definitely helps his team, but he is a piece of crap human that intentionally tries to injure players the likes of which the league has not seen since Matt Cooke.

Second, I stand by what I say about his inability to drive offense on his own. The numbers and metrics support my position.

Third, I said he won't be worth anywhere near his contract, not that he won't help a team.

Lastly, I said he does not make buffalo a contenders not that he wouldn't make them better.

I admit he is a great complimentary player, but no matter how well he plays, he has zero respect for his fellow players around the league, and the league would be much better off without him.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
You obviously misread my entire post or I wrote it poorly, but rereading it, I don't believe one should have had the take-aways you did if it was actually read.

First, I said he is a cancer in the league, not his team. Kadri definitely helps his team, but he is a piece of crap human that intentionally tries to injure players the likes of which the league has not seen since Matt Cooke.

Second, I stand by what I say about his inability to drive offense on his own. The numbers and metrics support my position.

Third, I said he won't be worth anywhere near his contract, not that he won't help a team.

Lastly, I said he does not make buffalo a contenders not that he wouldn't make them better.

I admit he is a great complimentary player, but no matter how well he plays, he has zero respect for his fellow players around the league, and the league would be much better off without him.
That's the same sort of BS they say about Brad Marchand and others. Is Kadri a dirty player? Ya, he is. Does he help your team win? Ya, he does. I like hockey. Not a fan of figure skating. It's all part of the game, the "cancer" talk is insulting, disingenuous, and utter nonsense.

If you'd simply said "Kadri is a dirty player and I don't like him" I'd be fine with that, but calling him a cancer is offensive to him and to fans like me who like a little rough stuff and physicality in the game.
Where's your outrage and "cancer" for the rapists in the league? What about scumbags like Evander Kane? You want to call somebody cancer how about him???? Or how about the Russians who support Putin? Why are they playing and being cheered for?
Maybe your Kadri hatred has a little racism attached to it?

Kadri makes a team better and he will be a solid fit with the NYI (which it seems like they will be his landing spot).

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Did you seriously just imply I am a racist because I have no tolerance for players that repeatedly cross the line and have no respect for the game or their fellow players?

What Kadri does isn't "playing physical", it's playing cowardly. It's sickening and it's like praising the Bertuzi-Moore incident.

Hockey is still physical when played within the rules, but certain players repeatedly let their emotions overwhelm them and show intent to injure other olayers. There is no place for that crap in the NHL. Respect the game. Go watch MMA if you want to watch morons injure each other.

Reactions: brewski420

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Did you seriously just imply I am a racist because I have no tolerance for players that repeatedly cross the line and have no respect for the game or their fellow players?

What Kadri does isn't "playing physical", it's playing cowardly. It's sickening and it's like praising the Bertuzi-Moore incident.

Hockey is still physical when played within the rules, but certain players repeatedly let their emotions overwhelm them and show intent to injure other olayers. There is no place for that crap in the NHL. Respect the game. Go watch MMA if you want to watch morons injure each other.
Dude, calling people a "cancer" is just not cool.
Flippantly using the word "cancer" is not cool.
You just aren't getting it. We're done here.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Dude, calling people a "cancer" is just not cool.
Flippantly using the word "cancer" is not cool.
You just aren't getting it. We're done here.

So your post is suggesting that it's ok to call Evander Kane a cancer, but not Matt Cooke or Kadri?

That was rhetorical, please do not answer. What I think is happening here is that you are numb to certain uses of the term cancer due to it's frequent use, but take offense with it's use in other references, and you fail to see the hypocrisy of the situation.

I apologize if using the term cancer is upsetting to you. As a cancer survivor myself, I used to be a little put off when people would call everyday annoyances "cancer", but I quickly got over that, as it is everywhere, and it is pretty much a staple term on these boards to describe malcontents or brash personalities on teams. If we are going to use the term locker room cancer in everyday discussions, then I don't really see the problem of using the analogy on something I feel much more passionate about.

I'm assuming you never played the game. Playing in college, I hit a guy coming around the net hard. It was clean, but it had to hurt. I collected the puck, cleared it around the boards and turned to skate up ice when he two-handed me across the back of my helmet and broke his stick in the process. I am lucky it was a new (at the time) lousiville composite stick, and not an aluminum or a an old aspen sherwood, or I likely would have been seriously injured. It was not pleasant, but the fact that he broke a 120 dollar stick on my head was somewhat satisfying. I've been slew-footed, chopped on the back of the leg down inside of my skate's tendon guard, butt-ended on the seam of the pants right on the hip that actually chipped my hip bone, two handed across the forearm with enough force that it would easily have broken my arm had I been wearing soft pads instead of elbow pads with a long shelled forearm protector (still left a nasty bruise for weeks). And the recipient of dozens of other dirty plays. Way more than I can count.

I've been in a lot of situations where I could have retaliated on players, where I found them later in a game in an extremely compromised position, and I could have "accidentally" run into them, with a good chance of injuring them, but hockey is just a game. I want my opponents to respect my safety and I need to respect theirs. That is what kept me from trying to hurt them, even though my emotions were high and I was angry and I wanted to.

People that never played will often say "Hockey is a fast game, I don't think it was intentional", but growing up playing hockey, we all learn subtle dirty tricks and how to disguise them. Thankfully most players have respectable coaching at some level of their development along with solid morals, and they learn what is wrong and what is right, but a few never do.

Kadri does not have that filter. Some players never develop this control, and I do not believe he ever will.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Nice diatribe, but completely off topic and totally wrong.

I'm Canadian. I played hockey. Still do, although the knee can't really take it any more. Best check I ever threw, very memorable, was taking Dave Andreychuk full on out of the play. but what does that matter. I guess you brought up playing the game to give yourself some extra weight or credibility? I don't claim any myself. Got nothing to do with Kadri.

Kadri is a good hockey player. He is not a cancer. The cancer metaphor, although somewhat offensive to people who deal with actual cancer, is used properly for players that destroy teams like a virus. They ruin the locker room. other players dislike them. Teams fall apart. It is generally fitting for players with off ice issues. Like Evander Kane. Kadri, on the other hand, is a winner, and popular with his team mates. He makes any team better. Seattle can't afford him. Buffalo is too stupid to sign him. Islanders will probably compete for the playoffs again if they add him.

On ice, the players settle issues themselves. As it should be. Kadri has to deal with that if he makes a dirty play, just like he did against the aforementioned Evander Kane, who played dirty against him. That's hockey. I love the game. All of it.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Nice diatribe, but completely off topic and totally wrong.

I'm Canadian. I played hockey. Still do, although the knee can't really take it any more. Best check I ever threw, very memorable, was taking Dave Andreychuk full on out of the play. but what does that matter. I guess you brought up playing the game to give yourself some extra weight or credibility? I don't claim any myself. Got nothing to do with Kadri.

Kadri is a good hockey player. He is not a cancer. The cancer metaphor, although somewhat offensive to people who deal with actual cancer, is used properly for players that destroy teams like a virus. They ruin the locker room. other players dislike them. Teams fall apart. It is generally fitting for players with off ice issues. Like Evander Kane. Kadri, on the other hand, is a winner, and popular with his team mates. He makes any team better. Seattle can't afford him. Buffalo is too stupid to sign him. Islanders will probably compete for the playoffs again if they add him.

On ice, the players settle issues themselves. As it should be. Kadri has to deal with that if he makes a dirty play, just like he did against the aforementioned Evander Kane, who played dirty against him. That's hockey. I love the game. All of it.
That was your takeaway?

I brought up my experiences as a point, not to lend weight. We play hockey and we love the game, but as humans we are actually quite fragile. We are all one bad injury away from not being able to play the game.

Everyone that has played, whether it is organized youth hockey, beer leagues, college, club, major junior or the pros, have found that there is always a player in every league that has no control over his emotions and crosses the line and intends to injure others. They have no respect for the safety of their opponents and no respect for the game.

So many players play very physical, but don't lose their minds on a shift and run around jumping into every check, throwing elbows, cross checking guys in the head, and trying to slam heads into the glass like Kadri does oh so often. There is a huge difference.

You say you like rough stuff - does that entail breaking the rules while trying to injury players? Like driving players headfirst into the boards? Sucker-punching guys in the head? Crosschecking players in the face? Going in low on players knees. There are things you do not do. If you like that crap I don't know what to say. Players that regularly cross those lines are garbage and I don't want them on teams i root for, regardless of whether or not they might make the team better.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Hits I delivered back in my day, some of them are illegal today for sure. It was a different time. Only time I low bridged a guy though was when he went for my head and I ducked. Still caught a bit of my shoulder but he went right over me and jammed his neck in the landing. So I avoided being concussed but he had clavicle damage. So who was the dirtier player? (rhetorical)

I like Kadri, he's a good player. All I will say on that.

This, however, was some crazy beer league stuff:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I think the only 21-22 Kraken still unsigned are Victor Rask and Daniel Sprong. Pouliot signed with an AHL team, if nobody caught that. Curious where those two land. You'd think Rask would at the very least get some bidding going on hovering at the lower end of the pay scale that would get him a paycheck with an NHL team at the very least.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think the only 21-22 Kraken still unsigned are Victor Rask and Daniel Sprong. Pouliot signed with an AHL team, if nobody caught that. Curious where those two land. You'd think Rask would at the very least get some bidding going on hovering at the lower end of the pay scale that would get him a paycheck with an NHL team at the very least.

I think both of them are still hoping for NHL contracts and will most likely end up signing a PTO or two way contract right before training camp starts.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The Sens just extended Tim Stützle for eight years and $66.8 M($8..36 AAV).

I think that's something to keep in mind for next summer(or the one after) if Beniers needs to be re-signed.
At least if Matty's able to produce as well as we're all hoping.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
That Stutzle deal is a huge gamble imo. Don't want to jump the gun on paying Beneiers. let's see him prove he deserves it first. There's plenty of time and he can always be bridged if there is uncertainty over what level to pay him at.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm very confident in Stutzle and I'm very confident in Beniers.

That Stutzle deal is a huge gamble imo. Don't want to jump the gun on paying Beneiers. let's see him prove he deserves it first. There's plenty of time and he can always be bridged if there is uncertainty over what level to pay him at.

He can't be extended until next July at the earliest so he'll have to prove it regardless.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
While not FA related, does anyone here follow Nils Lundkvist? I don't know much about him but given the lack of option on D, I am wondering if it would be worth us trading for him? I would do a 2nd round pick in 2023 or 2024. Would we be willing to add a prospect instead of the draft pick? If yes, what quality of prospect would we want to move?

The prospects I consider 'untouchable' for us are Wright, Beniers and Firkus but outside of that, I would move anyone for a shot at a true top-4 RHD option (if Lundkvist is one).

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I wouldn’t move Winterton or Nyman either. We did have a discussion about Lundkvist a few days ago. I’d go for a surplus mid round pick for him. Maybe.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Given a chance think Lundkvist could be a legit 4th defenseman in future. Be a good trade in case of injuries and want guy to rotate in and out lines. NYR have jam of RD right now so he got not much games/ice time last season. Considering are options for defenseman be a good idea to gain an upper hand in the fatigue category this upcoming season.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Given a chance think Lundkvist could be a legit 4th defenseman in future. Be a good trade in case of injuries and want guy to rotate in and out lines. NYR have jam of RD right now so he got not much games/ice time last season. Considering are options for defenseman be a good idea to gain an upper hand in the fatigue category this upcoming season.

We have a lot of forward prospects who have legitimate chances of becoming top-6 forwards. Not only that, that is our position of strength on the current roster.

While I am not sure if fatigue is an issue for this season. While we lack elite D-men we have a lot of depth:

Dunn-Larsson
Oleksiak-Schultz
Soucy-Borgen
Kempny-Fleury

Not so much in the top-4 D category. Evans and Nelson but there is no guarantee and Nelson is at least a few years away. If Lundkvist is really a legit top-4D prospect, he may be worth a small risk because he is further up the development curve than any of our other prospects.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I think that deal should look good for the Sens.
Maybe not as good as the Draisaitl deal does for the Oilers, but Stützle showed last season that he's got a lot of talent and as soon as he was put at center he started producing even though his linemates weren't all that great.

Combine that with the fact that the cap is supposed to go up quite a bit in 2024 or 2025, and that they basically bought his best years(he'll be 29 at the end of that contract) I think it should be fine barring any injuries.

Overall I think people need to realize that those top young players aren't going to be bridged that often anymore but rather extended long term.

It started first with Nylander in Toronto, where similar young guys later on signed deals like his and now it seems like Jack Hughes has started another trend(around $8M AAV for seven or eight years) signing his deal last summer.

While not FA related, does anyone here follow Nils Lundkvist? I don't know much about him but given the lack of option on D, I am wondering if it would be worth us trading for him? I would do a 2nd round pick in 2023 or 2024. Would we be willing to add a prospect instead of the draft pick? If yes, what quality of prospect would we want to move?

The prospects I consider 'untouchable' for us are Wright, Beniers and Firkus but outside of that, I would move anyone for a shot at a true top-4 RHD option (if Lundkvist is one).

I personally wouldn't mind taking a chance on someone like him given that our defensive core is solid, but nothing special and clearly lacks guys with a lot of upside(besides maybe Dunn) offensively, which is needed in today's NHL.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We have a lot of forward prospects who have legitimate chances of becoming top-6 forwards. Not only that, that is our position of strength on the current roster.

While I am not sure if fatigue is an issue for this season. While we lack elite D-men we have a lot of depth:

Dunn-Larsson
Oleksiak-Schultz
Soucy-Borgen
Kempny-Fleury

Not so much in the top-4 D category. Evans and Nelson but there is no guarantee and Nelson is at least a few years away. If Lundkvist is really a legit top-4D prospect, he may be worth a small risk because he is further up the development curve than any of our other prospects.

This is part of why I'm not sold on the Justin Schultz acquisition. He's not badly overpaid or anything like that, but he's a soft PP2 guy and will soak up a lot of the easier minutes that young offensive D would need to develop at the NHL level - that is if we were to acquire one further along than Evans or perhaps if Evans or a player like that is ready next year. For example, it wouldn't make sense to pick up Lundqvist if you weren't going to give him a lot of offensive minutes and PP time.

Reactions: Dog

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This is part of why I'm not sold on the Justin Schultz acquisition. He's not badly overpaid or anything like that, but he's a soft PP2 guy and will soak up a lot of the easier minutes that young offensive D would need to develop at the NHL level - that is if we were to acquire one further along than Evans or perhaps if Evans or a player like that is ready next year. For example, it wouldn't make sense to pick up Lundqvist if you weren't going to give him a lot of offensive minutes and PP time.
Not sold on the Schultz acquisition either. While he should help with PP2, he is not a top-4 D-man and not great in his own zone.

Lundqvist would have been cheaper (2 years left on his ELC) though would have cost us some assets. I think at this point though, Francis may not quite be ready to move assets for an unproven prospect like Lundqvist. Which could be the main reason he went with a proven Schultz. Evans did not show that he was ready at development camp either.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad