GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2022 - DAY 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
The real problem is that management seems to be going down the same path that Jim Benning did: try for a "retool on the fly". Now I don't doubt that the current management will implement this strategy 100 times better than Benning did, it does raise two interesting questions:

1. what are the prospects of success for this approach? I think its possible to successfully implement this strategy but I would think the odds are decidedly against any management team trying this strategy (i.e., you will end up competing with teams who have had many top picks and who had accumulated lots of other picks over a three year or so period); and

2. ironically, if the strategy is implemented averagely, then we will likely end up in a worse situation than if it was implemented terribly since we don't receive any top draft picks (i.e., Jim Benning over the last 7 years but without Pettersson and Hughes).
The previous mgmt felt that retooling on the fly was an appropriate strategy for a core of players over the age of 30 at the end of their cup window. Our current management is trying to sift out the refuse and waste around a core of under 25 year olds with a couple 27/28 year olds mixed in to try to build them into a contender.

Last edited:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Columbus is maybe the most obvious team that should add Miller, with the real chance to sign him being close to his hometown.

Now with JG there's a good chance Laine and voracek stay, they have good goaltending and defense and a pipeline of top prospects on the way to bolster all positions with ELCs.

They're literally right on the cusp of top contender and JT would surely tip the scales for them.
1st, Ceulemans, Peeke, Marchenko etc etc should all be on the table immediately, and they still keep nearly all their top prospects. We should be able to take nyquist too for even better return.

Its a no brainer and similar with a few other teams, i dont get the holdup..

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If they were in on Kadri to that amount, then surely they're going to be in on Miller on the trade market.

They’ve been rumoured as a Miller sleeper option for a while now too.

Something that should motivate them to buy is that they’ve now added without giving up any assets. They have no clear #1 center and loads of picks, NHL ready prospects, and defensive depth. My only question for them is how they expect to fit Laine under the cap.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think the CBJ interest in Kadri was before Gaudreau signed, no? Don't think they would still have interest.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think the CBJ interest in Kadri was before Gaudreau signed, no? Don't think they would still have interest.

Possibly. They still don’t have a #1 center that lets them compete right away unless Sillinger takes a huge jump in his sophomore season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It means they considered a major investment in a #1C to be a priority.

They still have cap space, and they still don't have a #1C.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

What’s the status of Texier, Jenner, and Tarasov? Unless those guys go on LTIR, I don’t think they have the necessary cap space.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Possibly. They still don’t have a #1 center that lets them compete right away unless Sillinger takes a huge jump in his sophomore season.

They don't really have any cap space, they still need to sign Laine. Don't see how they can really still fit Kadri.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What’s the status of Texier, Jenner, and Tarasov? Unless those guys go on LTIR, I don’t think they have the necessary cap space.

Yeah, I was just looking at it.

Capfriendly must've been slow putting Gaudreau and Gudbranson on there yesterday because after Gaudreau signed I looked and they had like a $15 million number there, so I assumed they had enough for Laine and Miller.

They're actually going to have to make some moves and unless they trade Nyquist and we take Roslovic back in a Miller trade, they wouldn't have room.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
They don't really have any cap space, they still need to sign Laine. Don't see how they can really still fit Kadri.
But they could maybe fit Miller? If the package was good enough I'd be in favour of retaining salary to make it happen.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Yeah that Gudbranson contract kinda screwed them over already - I think they'll have to move an asset to get rid of Voracek/Nyquist just to be cap compliant.

Clearly, we can bring home BC boy Kent Johnson in a Miller trade.

Reactions: sting101

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
It’s not just a one division league.

We have to play the true elite teams at some point in the playoffs. Two middle six wingers isn’t bridging that monstrous gap

One team from this division makes the conference final. Being in the conference final is to be a contender. This division will have a new #1 with Calgary imploding. You don't just go 'well, we aren't likely to be one of the two teams to make the cup final, lets blow it up!'

This isn't EA Sports, they are human beings, not avatars. We've seen what happens when word gets out about a market and UFA avoid it. If you have a legit shot at a division title, you go for it. Or, enjoy the rep as being an NHL backwater.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Yeah, I was just looking at it.

Capfriendly must've been slow putting Gaudreau and Gudbranson on there yesterday because after Gaudreau signed I looked and they had like a $15 million number there, so I assumed they had enough for Laine and Miller.

They're actually going to have to make some moves and unless they trade Nyquist and we take Roslovic back in a Miller trade, they wouldn't have room.

There are ways to making it work but both sides gave to be motivated. Taking on Nyquist, resting salary, etc. They seem like a natural trading partner.

However, the Finns do hate the Swedes so…

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I too was kind of thinking blue jackets (again)… they really don’t have a top centre. Cap looks tight for them and still having to resign laine. So not sure how that would work. But they could be a more desirable location for miller now.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
But they could maybe fit Miller? If the package was good enough I'd be in favour of retaining salary to make it happen.

They would still have to make other moves. I don't know, seems like it might be difficult for me them to add much salary at all.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Gaudreau Miller Laine could be a line that would put Columbus in the conversation

We would have to take Nyquist Texier and then they can give us Kent Johnson

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't see Nashville wanting to lose Tomasino. They need forwards and holding onto a cheap young one makes sense.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I don't see Nashville wanting to lose Tomasino. They need forwards and holding onto a cheap young one makes sense.
For sure but they also have Trenin (25) and Svechkov.

Miller gives them a C that fits with Josi, RyJo and Duchene.

They would still have Kemell and Evangelista.

So the cupboards would not be bare.

Coupled with traded for McDonaugh, they seem to be wanting to make a push.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
They would still have to make other moves. I don't know, seems like it might be difficult for me them to add much salary at all.

Who are you? Chuck Fletcher? Oh it’s too hard to trade. Wah wah.*

Honestly, this has been a gripe of mind for years. NHL teams are far too precious about their picks and prospects. Columbus, for example, has now committed a lot of money to win now moves. If they don’t capitalize they just live in that weird mushy middle and come out with nothing to shore for it other than a few mid-round exits.

Kent Johnson’s peak is what they hope to get out of JT Miller right now and to not maximum their return on investment in Gaudreau and snicker Gudbranson is the height of NHL conservatism.

But yes. I don’t think they’ll actually be motivated to make a trade work. I also think they are wrong.

*I’ve been drinking

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Who are you? Chuck Fletcher? Oh it’s too hard to trade. Wah wah.*

Honestly, this has been a gripe of mind for years. NHL teams are far too precious about their picks and prospects. Columbus, for example, has now committed a lot of money to win now moves. If they don’t capitalize they just live in that weird mushy middle and come out with nothing to shore for it other than a few mid-round exits.

Kent Johnson’s peak is what they hope to get out of JT Miller right now and to not maximum their return on investment in Gaudreau and snicker Gudbranson is the height of NHL conservatism.

But yes. I don’t think they’ll actually be motivated to make a trade work. I also think they are wrong.

*I’ve been drinking
Impressive spelling in the response if drinking.

Mine would look my 2 yr old did it.

But she does know her alphabet already.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
For sure but they also have Trenin (25) and Svechkov.

Miller gives them a C that fits with Josi, RyJo and Duchene.

They would still have Kemell and Evangelista.

So the cupboards would not be bare.

Coupled with traded for McDonaugh, they seem to be wanting to make a push.
Svechkov might be a better target, he's not on the team so they would be more likely to move him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad