GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2022 - DAY 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Where are you seeing $1.8? I see 2 years left at $3 million AAV on capfriendly.

I was surprised that he would be available which is why I was asking the OP for a source.
I was wrong. Not sure where that came from. My bad.

I don’t see how moving DeMelo makes sense for the jets. Who would take his spot? Jets also have Dillon a left to go wi the Stanley and Morrissey. Lionel and Schmidt on the right.

Prospects wise I recall Simon Lundmark from 2019 draft a rhd from Sweden. So he’s 21. But I am not sure the jets are banking on him just yet.

Seems like a poor move to add a winger for a 3rd pairing Dman.

Jets have to figure out what they are going to do. Scheiffle, Helly and PLD all ufa in 2024. Wheelers deal ends in 2024 as well. Big decision on direction of the jets upcoming. Who is staying and who is going?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Where are you seeing that Demelo is available?

Wonder if something based around Pearson for Demelo would work for both teams?
I'm a moron and thought he was UFA. But that's a trade I'd make 10/10 times and pretty close value and salary wise.

No idea how or why I thought that. I blame it on Friday beers.

Reactions: MS

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm a moron and thought he was UFA. But that's a trade I'd make 10/10 times and pretty close value and salary wise.

No idea how or why I thought that. I blame it on Friday beers.
Not if you are Chevy. Lol.. if the jets had a replacement that they were sure on I could see it but I don’t think that’s the case.

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
So do we still think they had the deals in place to get us out of cap trouble before signing Mikheyev?
The moment I heard he was signed I knew they were being coy, they have something or somethings in discussion, at this point Miller, Garland and Pearson become quite expendable. Not, all but up to two of them.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I have to retrain myself to not be aghast whenever an announcement comes through
I find the same thing, also I find this for rumours.

With Benning the rumours were almost always accurate and since the deals were also bad, cringing at rumours became an ingrained response.

This front office hasn't leaked anything and almost all the rumours have been bogus, so I've had to retrain myself to not get too ruffled or excited by them

Reactions: Nucker101

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
We should be for two years.

We should have been a pacioretty team.
The division title is up for grabs. Calgary is in an accidental retool, Vegas continues to slide. Edmonton got better. SJ and Anaheim continue to be messes, Seattle's tanking and LA is taking a step back. Top 3 should be Edmonton, Vancouver and Vegas. It's time to dump the tank mentality.

Reactions: alternate

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I find the same thing, also I find this for rumours.

With Benning the rumours were almost always accurate and since the deals were also bad, cringing at rumours became an ingrained response.

This front office hasn't leaked anything and almost all the rumours have been bogus, so I've had to retrain myself to not get too ruffled or excited by them
Benning leaked stuff. Allvin nothing gets out. So you have to make that switch and not believe everything that’s coming out from the media.

Pay careful attention to the media’s wording. For me, if they are not saying My Sources. If they aren’t prepared to say it’s from people that the media person relies on then it’s not to be believed. Using I’m hearing, or there’s talk or anything else that gets them off not putting their reputation on the line I just ignore it.

Reactions: racerjoe

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If it's true Columbus got shot down by Kadri for a 7-year, $50-$55m deal...man, what a bullet dodged.

I think anyone that signs Kadri to a deal like that is in for a nasty surprise - maybe not right away, but that will age like milk with the style of game he plays.

(I think he's going back to Colorado, who are in their Cup window, so who cares, really, I suppose)

Reactions: Canucker

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If it's true Columbus got shot down by Kadri for a 7-year, $50-$55m deal...man, what a bullet dodged.

I think anyone that signs Kadri to a deal like that is in for a nasty surprise - maybe not right away, but that will age like milk with the style of game he plays.

(I think he's going back to Colorado, who are in their Cup window, so who cares, really, I suppose)

If they were in on Kadri to that amount, then surely they're going to be in on Miller on the trade market.

Reactions: racerjoe and Vector

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

EJ can be moved to any of 19 teams. He holds a nmc for waiver purposes. They would have to give up an asset as he is due $6 mill cash so that is real money. To fit a contract onto the roster.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The division title is up for grabs. Calgary is in an accidental retool, Vegas continues to slide. Edmonton got better. SJ and Anaheim continue to be messes, Seattle's tanking and LA is taking a step back. Top 3 should be Edmonton, Vancouver and Vegas. It's time to dump the tank mentality.
It’s not just a one division league.

We have to play the true elite teams at some point in the playoffs. Two middle six wingers isn’t bridging that monstrous gap

Reactions: timw33

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
The more this drags on, the more resigned I become to the increasingly possible reality that Miller isn't getting dealt. I was 99.8% certain a deal would be made by the end of this weekend. Still could happen, but all the smoke signals suggest otherwise.

For me, the big one was when Allvin was asked if this is the roster we will see in Training Camp and he answered with a convincing "yes." No hedging, no "we like our group but do have some conversations going on, so we will see." Just, yes.

Add that all the media reports are consistently reporting that nothing is happening on the JTM front, JR'S comments, etc. It's looking more and more like short of a homerun package, the hopes are an improved roster + improved work environment + being in a playoff race = Miller being willing to sign an extension that makes sense for him and the organization.

My preference unequivocally is to trade him ASAP. But of course my preference has zero influence in this situation. So I'm starting to pivot to what things look like with JTM still in the fold. As much as we generally agree on the risks of extending JTM, we also generally agree that he is a very good hockey player and a valuable piece to a contender.

With Miller, we do have a deep forward group. Lines will be changing all the time, game to game, period to period, injury to injury. But I'd start something like:

Hoglander-Miller-Garland
Mikheyev-EP-Podkolzin
Kuzmenko-Horvat-Boeser
Pearson-Dick-Lazar
Joshua

Basically a top 9 that is pretty balanced and tough to match up against, with a 4th line that should be able to handle heavy defensive deployment. Dick and Lazar can take faceoffs on their strong side, and while Pearson and Dickinson make for a Benning like 4th line when it comes to AAV, it is what it is.

On defense, we all know the situation. To much $$$ at the top of the pairings. With that said, OEL-Myers was a good shut down pairing, even if overpaid. We've got pieces to put together a solid 3rd pairing, especially if Rathbone takes a step in his development. And Hughes needs a partner, but is a top 15 dman in the league, and still has room to grow. I like the idea of Hughes-OEL, but then it leaves us short of a true shutdown pairing, unless they take on that role. I'd look at something like:

Hughes-Poolman
OEL-Myers
Rathbone-Schenn
Dermott-Burroughs

I dunno, expect Poolman to be better than he was last year. And would be surprised if Schenn's play didn't slip a bit. Also be a bit surprised if Dermott didn't start in the top 6. So some mixing and matching here during camp and preseason for sure, but I don't see it as *terrible* just inefficient use of cap space and a glaring hole beside QH.

If there isn't a market for JT that makes sense (or the stomach to move him on the part of JR/Allvin) next option would be to package a surplus winger with a depth defender and see if we can't find a top 4 dman. This could be (ideally) a fit for beside Hughes, but I'd even take a LS partner for Myers and move OEL to Huggy Bear's flank.

What value does Garland+Dermott have, or Pearson+Poolman, etc. I'd even put Rathbone in the package, but have to be the perfect fit for that.

Long post, more me working through things in my own head. But if Miller stays at PPG, and Petey gets there, and Bo and Boeser both put up 25+ goals, and the Russians all fit, and the PK is respectable, and Demko stays healthy...we are a playoff team. Would that be enough to get JTM, and then EP to sign window friendly extensions? Is it a better gamble than just taking a mid tier package for JTM? Don't know, but looking more and more like we are going to find out imo.

BlamBlam

Jan 25, 2010
Ok Colorado and Ottawa could just trade Erik Johnson and leave Canucks out but maybe Ottawa isn’t on his list. How about

Myers + JT Compher and/or Avs Pick to Ottawa
Erik Johnson (retained) to Vancouver
Future Considerations and/or Mathieu Joseph to Colorado

Avs clear space to sign Kadri by moving Johnson. Canucks replace Myers with less term and AAV. Ottawa gets a ‘top-4’ RD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad