GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2022 - DAY 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
For the right return, I’d hope they’d take Nyquist and retain 50% on Miller. Nyquist is still very much a good NHL forward that could be flipped for a pick or two at the deadline.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I'm willing to be patient. I don't think that just because Miller is on the team in the fall, he stays until the deadline and we're screwed.

Once the season starts, there's always 1-2 teams that were expected to do well and hit a slump – GMs get desperate for a change to the lineup. Another 1-3 teams will also have a longer-term injury and will need a replacement to stay competitive. That's on top of teams that should be interested in Miller to improve their lineup in general. I do agree that probably the best time to have traded him was the previous deadline but there's still a lot of potential and time for a good return.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Who are you? Chuck Fletcher? Oh it’s too hard to trade. Wah wah.*

Honestly, this has been a gripe of mind for years. NHL teams are far too precious about their picks and prospects. Columbus, for example, has now committed a lot of money to win now moves. If they don’t capitalize they just live in that weird mushy middle and come out with nothing to shore for it other than a few mid-round exits.

Kent Johnson’s peak is what they hope to get out of JT Miller right now and to not maximum their return on investment in Gaudreau and snicker Gudbranson is the height of NHL conservatism.

But yes. I don’t think they’ll actually be motivated to make a trade work. I also think they are wrong.

*I’ve been drinking

I think trading their young guys in this situation would be impatient. Gaudreau isn't enough to completely change your trajectory by 2-3 years. I would rather play Sillinger/Johnson/etc in key roles this year and if they play well enough to make that leap quicker than expected then add pieces closer to the deadline. They should still be eying that 2023/24/25 window.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I think trading their young guys in this situation would be impatient. Gaudreau isn't enough to completely change your trajectory by 2-3 years. I would rather play Sillinger/Johnson/etc in key roles this year and if they play well enough to make that leap quicker than expected then add pieces closer to the deadline. They should still be eying that 2023/24/25 window.
Miller would fit that window ideally for them, and plays a position they are in need of...and they have enough pieces to make a trade work...if they can get creative with the cap management...probably still a longshot to happen, but to follow up an aggressive move and to not address an area of need would be a little puzzling on their part. Sillinger and Johnson are the future but probably need a little bit of sheltering over the next 1-2 years.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

I look at it as they’ve made a massive financial commitment on established players and if they don’t try to capitalize on the guaranteed years of productivity then they never should have bothered. Same goes for maximizing those player’s ELCs.

Difference of perspective though. I favour aggression when it comes to contention windows.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I look at it as they’ve made a massive financial commitment on established players and if they don’t try to capitalize on the guaranteed years of productivity then they never should have bothered. Same goes for maximizing those player’s ELCs.

Difference of perspective though. I favour aggression when it comes to contention windows.

I agree with your last paragraph, we just disagree on them being in that window.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Had no idea Columbus is in as bad of shape as they are in. Can't blame them for signing Gaudreau when they had the chance -- market like Columbus has to grab big ticket players when they're willing just so they can be seen as a destination UFAs will consider. But man that Real Gud contract makes things tight. I'm not fully informed on their roster if they have some LTIR or other hidden cap savings, but they're looking like they can't afford to pay Laine even what he made last year.

Dollars would have to be pretty even in/out for a deal to work between us. Nyquist is the obvious cap return, and he's an effective player. But does another small skill $5m+ winger really fit on this roster? Would be a trade that needs another team/transaction to make sense imo.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
As soon as things die down, people stop asking about Miller he’s going to get dealt. They aren’t giving a 30 year old a 6-7 year deal. They also were never going to deal
Him just because fans were getting impatient.

Two things. First is they know need they to shed cap. That’s coming in some form. Secondly, they Know their d is tragic and that they can’t match the same group out.

So things are still going to happen.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Had no idea Columbus is in as bad of shape as they are in. Can't blame them for signing Gaudreau when they had the chance -- market like Columbus has to grab big ticket players when they're willing just so they can be seen as a destination UFAs will consider. But man that Real Gud contract makes things tight. I'm not fully informed on their roster if they have some LTIR or other hidden cap savings, but they're looking like they can't afford to pay Laine even what he made last year.

Dollars would have to be pretty even in/out for a deal to work between us. Nyquist is the obvious cap return, and he's an effective player. But does another small skill $5m+ winger really fit on this roster? Would be a trade that needs another team/transaction to make sense imo.
At the moment they have over 7m to play around with. If they spent 1.5-2 less on Gudbranson they wouldve been fine

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Maybe Nashville in the mix?

Tomasino, Prokop + 2023 1st

Nashville is an interesting dance partner (and not because Friedman mentioned them recently lol). Given that the organization has expressed an interest in young, NHL ready players however I'd probably suggest something like Jeannot, Sissons, 1st for Hoglander and Miller. Dump Pearson, re-sign Motte, trade Garland to sort out the defence.

Jeannot - Petterson - Boeser
Kuzmenko - Horvat - Podkolzin
Dickinson - Sissons - Mikheyev
Joshua - Lazar - Motte

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
They got a streaky scorer in Fiala but lost Brown and their D core is pretty green aside from Doughty and Edler, and Elder is slower than molasses.

I would place LA higher in the pacific over Vancouver personally.

Edmonton
Vegas
Calgary
LA

I think are all higher in the standings then Vancouver at least as things stand now.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

Edmonton
Vegas
Calgary
LA

I think are all higher in the standings then Vancouver at least as things stand now.
Grans, Turcotte, and a pick would be a reasonable package

Realistically the pick is probably a 2nd

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

Edmonton
Vegas
Calgary
LA

Calgary will be jettisoning Tkachuk too likely and Markstrom is getting way too many starts, which came back to bite him in the playoffs. Calgary, as it currently stands, won't be in the playoffs. LA overachieved and I expect them to return to the mean. Vegas is in a tailspin due to poor management, players don't want to go there now. They still need to clear cap space even after giving away their max goal scorer. They probably have enough on D though to sneak in this year, but their long term trajectory is a train wreck.

Based on free agency so far I've got;

Edmonton (108 pts)
Vancouver (105 pts)
Vegas (95 pts)
LA (93 pts)
Calgary (88 pts)
San Jose (75 pts)
Anaheim (68 pts)
Seattle (62 pts)

Edmonton got stronger in net, which will help them in the division chase. Canucks got quicker and better on the PK. Vegas got worse. LA added Fiala, but we know how streaky he is. The other 4 teams are at various stages of retools or rebuilds.

• Wow
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I’d help CBJ out with their cap situation.

Miller For Nyquist, Gavrikov, Ceulemans/Mateychuk + pick

Nyquist needs to be included for cap and can be flipped for a pick/prospect. Could keep till TDL if can get rid of Pearson or Dickinson.

Cost is a bump with a additional pick.

Gavrikov helps ST (and hopefully LT with an extension).

Ceulemans or Mateychuk adds to the prospect pool while still allowing CBJ to keep one alongside Jiricek.

Reactions: Vector

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Calgary will be jettisoning Tkachuk too likely and Markstrom is getting way too many starts, which came back to bite him in the playoffs. Calgary, as it currently stands, won't be in the playoffs. LA overachieved and I expect them to return to the mean. Vegas is in a tailspin due to poor management, players don't want to go there now. They still need to clear cap space even after giving away their max goal scorer. They probably have enough on D though to sneak in this year, but their long term trajectory is a train wreck.

Edmonton (108 pts)
Vancouver (105 pts)
Vegas (95 pts)
LA (93 pts)
Calgary (88 pts)
San Jose (75 pts)
Anaheim (68 pts)
Seattle (62 pts)

Edmonton got stronger in net, which will help them in the division chase. Canucks got quicker and better on the PK. Vegas got worse. LA added Fiala, but we know how streaky he is. The other 4 teams are at various stages of retools or rebuilds.
I think Vancouver might leapfrog Calgary, but I don't see them as being a 100 point team. LA is probably second in the division with the addition of Fiala.

Vancouver will be fighting for a wild card spot with a likely improved PK for the full season, but nothing else has really changed the makeup of the team. I see them as being in the same tier as Vegas/Nashville/St. Louis/Dallas. Good but not really championship calibre.

Reactions: Vector

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

Edmonton (108 pts)
Vancouver (105 pts)
Vegas (95 pts)
LA (93 pts)
Calgary (88 pts)
San Jose (75 pts)
Anaheim (68 pts)
Seattle (62 pts)

LA will absolutely finish above Van.

I stated the same last year.

Nucks are at best, playing for 3rd in the Pacific and essentially one of the last spots to get in the playoffs.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Canucks were a good team under Boudreau and have gotten better in terms of their lineup. I think they're a 100 point team next year tbh. Totally fine if this prediction bites me in the ass and someone brings it back to shove in my face; the west is wide open and our division has only gotten weaker

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I think Vancouver might leapfrog Calgary, but I don't see them as being a 100 point team. LA is probably second in the division with the addition of Fiala.

Vancouver will be fighting for a wild card spot with a likely improved PK for the full season, but nothing else has really changed the makeup of the team. I see them as being in the same tier as Vegas/Nashville/St. Louis/Dallas. Good but not really championship calibre.
I think the big difference will be the PK, now that we have speed demon Mikheyev and Lazar. I'm also expecting a productive season out of Kuzmenko and EP and BB will have better seasons. EP because his wrist is fully healed and BB due to family reasons. Fixing the PK was huge though, that will save us several points in the standings.

Nucks are at best, playing for 3rd in the Pacific and essentially one of the last spots to get in the playoffs.
I think they improved the PK enough it Mikheyev and Lazar that there will be a big difference in the standings, it was the main reason we were out by Xmas. You are also pricing in a Miller trade, and from JR's interview, it seems he isn't inclined to do that unless they have no contract by the trade deadline. He's not giving away a 99 point scorer with an AAV $3m below market value just for the sake of making a trade.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

I’d say right now..LA and the Canucks are about the same..(with a full season of Boudreau)..Yes,LA has Fiala,but they also rely heavily on two guys that are on the wrong side of their mid 30’s..Danault and Arvidsson are 29..and none of their prospects look ready/capable to take over these spots..

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Canucks were a good team under Boudreau and have gotten better in terms of their lineup. I think they're a 100 point team next year tbh. Totally fine if this prediction bites me in the ass and someone brings it back to shove in my face; the west is wide open and our division has only gotten weaker

They weren't a top ten team in the league after BB took over. Their old defense is one year older this year - Myers had his best year in a long time, OEL had his best season he's had in a long time, Schenn had the best season he's had in a long time, and Hughes had his best of his career. I don't know how sustainable that is, especially given three of those guys are in their 30s.

OTOH, they've added two top nine wingers and upgraded their 4th line center. PK should be vastly improved.

I think they are closer to the playoffs because we play in a shitty ass division, but I don't see us any closer to a cup

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think the big difference will be the PK, now that we have speed demon Mikheyev and Lazar. I'm also expecting a productive season out of Kuzmenko and EP and BB will have better seasons. EP because his wrist is fully healed and BB due to family reasons. Fixing the PK was huge though, that will save us several points in the standings.

I think they improved the PK enough it Mikheyev and Lazar that there will be a big difference in the standings, it was the main reason we were out by Xmas. You are also pricing in a Miller trade, and from JR's interview, it seems he isn't inclined to do that unless they have no contract by the trade deadline. He's not giving away a 99 point scorer with an AAV $3m below market value just for the sake of making a trade.

If we start the season with Miller on the team, we have much bigger problems than trying to sneak in to the playoffs next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad