GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2022 - DAY 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The rumours around Chychrun were that the Coyotes were asking for an astronomical return and no team was willing to even engage in that discussion.

Really, I think as we talked about in another thread, teams are probably just more willing to sit on their cap space until the prime free agents are gone and only then trade assets to improve.

Conversely, the price for Provorov is reported to be quite small.

I feel like they could pay an astronomical price for Chychrun. Certainly the #7 overall they traded for Debrincat would have bridged a huge part of that gap.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
pretty sure it's more than melnyk died

Cannot wait for Daddy Aquilini to view the continued ownership of the Vancouver Canucks as untenable with respect to the future of the family business.
They're still doing the same things financially.

Traded for hamonic, fired weirdo pierre mcguire, immediately started crushing trades...

Once they sign Giroux they've basically won the offseason already.

But it's been incredible to watch leafs fans lose their minds, high entertainment value.

Reactions: Indiana

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Conversely, the price for Provorov is reported to be quite small.

I feel like they could pay an astronomical price for Chychrun. Certainly the #7 overall they traded for Debrincat would have bridged a huge part of that gap.

This was quite a while ago, may have even been during the regular season, but it was something like 3 unprotected 1st round picks and a blue chip prospect.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Dubas is giving me Chayka vibes. Thinks he’s way smarter than everyone else but he’s looking like a complete rookie. Should be canned next year.
He's caught on the goalie carousel and can't get off. They don't have a perfect goalie and just keep cycling, digging deeper and deeper holes. They should have stuck with Andersen. He was good enough on a well built team.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
ZAR would be a great free agent signing, and has the Pittsburgh connection (believe Derek Clancey would've been the one scouting him in college).

Could definitely use him for the role Sutter was supposed to be playing pre-injury/health issues.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
How is NYR going to afford paying Kadri 8m AAV? They have 10M in cap space. JT Miller is right here for the taking.

Weird, they also didn't buyout Nemeth like rumoured. It's a really good question though, they have that 10MM but have at least 3F 2D 1G spots they'd need to fill.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
How is NYR going to afford paying Kadri 8m AAV? They have 10M in cap space. JT Miller is right here for the taking.

Chris Drury won't trade quality pieces for players. He's one of the most stingiest GMs in the league

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
ZAR would be a great free agent signing, and has the Pittsburgh connection (believe Derek Clancey would've been the one scouting him in college).

Could definitely use him for the role Sutter was supposed to be playing pre-injury/health issues.

He's listed as a C but he's been a full-time winger for his entire NHL career.

He's a solid, physical low-event defensive bottom-6 winger. Kind of like Dickinson. If you could sign him for in the neighborhood of $1.2 million, sure. Start paying a bottom-6 winger more than that, and it's a case of Benning-itis.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Maybe that's part of the play - if they get Kadri, they go "all-in" on Miller at 50% and finally part with Schneider and Kakko?? And we take Chytil and send them Hog to make the cap work?

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Maybe that's part of the play - if they get Kadri, they go "all-in" on Miller at 50% and finally part with Schneider and Kakko?? And we take Chytil and send them Hog to make the cap work?

I can't see a scenario where the trade significant assets for Miller if he's a rental. There's almost no situation where they can sign Miller long term and Kadri as well.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Chris Drury won't trade quality pieces for players. He's one of the most stingiest GMs in the league

I am hoping that the Rangers do something so hilariously stupid like signing a 32 year old Kadri to an 8 mil x 8 year contract. Dude legit had a career year, won a cup and will expectedly regress very soon with the mileage he's put on his body.

As a GM, you shouldn't pay a premium for rental or short-term players, but moves like signing a guy exiting his prime to a bad contract can kill a franchise even more.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

ZAR would be fantastic, i think people still perceive him as a scorer since he won the Hobey Baker, but he quickly realized he couldnt be that guy in the NHL and has done a good job transforming his game in a physical brand or reliable 2 ay hockey.

He was top 20 in hits with 230, in comparison, i believe Miller led our forwards with 170 hits. This is all while only playing around 13 min a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad