GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2022 - DAY 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Palat seems like a desperation move by NJ because of the Gaudreau snub. It's a ridiculous contract to give a 31 year old. Cirelli got a similar deal that eats up UFA years as a 25 year old today and it's 6.25AAV.

They could've just traded for Pearson and saved themselves the headache.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
The one trade that stands out to me yesterday is the Brent Burns to Carolina deal.

That is what the OEL trade should've been last year.

And it is what Vancouver will probably be forced to do at some point in the next year or two.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I really like our forward group. Arguably the best it’s been, lots of depth. But still feel like someone (or 2) will have to be moved if we ever have a chance to improve our back-end. Don’t see anyway around that, especially since we are also not in a position to move high draft picks.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Boeser's re-signed here twice for less than what he could have got. Hughes is signed long term. Doesn't seem to be that much of a problem for us. Maybe try being less cold next time other Canadian cities. Anyways, off to put a downpayment on a 1br apartment for $800k.

We've gotten Hughes, Demko, and Boeser to all sign into their UFA years.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Palat seems like a desperation move by NJ because of the Gaudreau snub. It's a ridiculous contract to give a 31 year old. Cirelli got a similar deal that eats up UFA years as a 25 year old today and it's 6.25AAV.

They could've just traded for Pearson and saved themselves the headache.
I agree. And Cirelli’s deal doesn’t kick in for another season. All 3 TB signings were a year early.

Sometimes it’s better to take a lessor player on a shorter term like a Pearson or a more expensive cap hit on a shorter term than going as long as 4 years.

We've gotten Hughes, Demko, and Boeser to all sign into their UFA years.
So did Calgary with gaudreau on their last deal. It’s the next one where it’s all ufa years and no rfa ones that Canadian clubs typically struggle with.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So crunching the numbers here, with a standard roster (13F, 8D, 2G) we are looking at about $585k in space. Can play with the edges a bit (Joshua vs Lockwood, 14F v 8D etc) but 550-600k is kind of the range we are at.

I think GMs are going to want to get things cleaned up pretty quickly, so hopefully we are looking at a deal or two by the end of the week.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I still dont like it but definitely less horrible considering. He's effective defensively atleast, and creates chances, just cant finish nearly all of them.
That’s the knock on him from Leaf fans. But he did score at a 32 goal pace last year without first unit PP time. Maybe he’s one of those late bloomers who figures out the offensive side.
He’s also a strong scoring threat in the PK and a very good defensive player. He’s overpaid but he definitely fills a big hole on the team with his PK’ing, speed and defensive play. If he gets 30 goals that’s a pretty decent contract.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
So crunching the numbers here, with a standard roster (13F, 8D, 2G) we are looking at about $585k in space. Can play with the edges a bit (Joshua vs Lockwood, 14F v 8D etc) but 550-600k is kind of the range we are at.

I think GMs are going to want to get things cleaned up pretty quickly, so hopefully we are looking at a deal or two by the end of the week.

There is actually 1.4 million in cap space, you left Brady Keeper on IR which counts against the cap.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There is actually 1.4 million in cap space, you left Brady Keeper on IR which counts against the cap.

I don't even have Keeper listed on my roster, so no.

I am showing approximately 585k with Joshua as the 13th forward, Burroughs & Rathbone as the 7th/8th d-men.

Reactions: Vector

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
I don't even have Keeper listed on my roster, so no.

I am showing approximately 585k with Joshua as the 13th forward, Burroughs & Rathbone as the 7th/8th d-men.

You don't need an 8th defenceman on the roster when your farm team is driving distance. Take out the 8th defenceman, and you have a little over 1.3 million in cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad