GDT: Free Agent Frenzy #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Too much term. Can't eat that. Would rather hope Staal returns to form.

It then he blocks a young player deserving of those minutes. The Rangers have someone who can replace Staal. Brown, as a PKer and someone who can play a more physical style, oddly, is something this team lacks.

And I'm not saying I like Brown, but what he brings is more unique than what Staal brings for this team currently.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Too much term. Can't eat that. Would rather hope Staal returns to form.

Yeah if it's a bad contract for contract the aim is to trade for a guy who has a shorter contract. We part with an asset and then buy out the player we just acquired. Not sure who'd fit that bill.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
It's more costly to stunt the development of the young Dmen Gorton has amassed because of the short-sided tendencies this coach has reagarding Staal. The buyout is mitigated by having ELCs during the time of the highest hits, as well as having one of you top 4 Dmen probably on a bridge contract.

Good point.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Valid point. Try with McPhee though. Seems gullible

He was real lucky yesterday to find someone to dump Emelin on. He's still got Garrison, Sbisa and Stoner--pretty big contracts for bottom pairing defensemen.

Unless a team thinks that Staal can play big minutes for them you'd have to be crazy or desperately need someone to get you to the cap floor to want to pay Staal $5.7 mil for the next four years. IMO there's no market for Staal and I wouldn't want to use draft picks and/or prospects to entice some other team to take his contract on---or even if we retained 50% dealing any other worthwhile asset would not really make it worthwhile.

It's a ****ing mean thing to do in a way--like a lot of the businessy **** we see all over today. That concussion his brother Eric gave him and the Voracek deflection to his eye has turned him into a shell of the player he once was--though he was never great handling the puck in the first place especially outside the defensive zone.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
If we find a taker for Staal we need to consider:

What - if anything - do we retain? Up to 50%
What do we need to add? Maybe nothing, any asset should make the retain amt drop
What are we getting back (robbing Peter to pay Paul?)?
who cares what we get back

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
10 days ago our board sounded like this " Omg. Gorton sux bc he hasn't made any trades. We will ice the same line up and nothing will change."

Today? "Huzzah!!! Gorton is the greatest GM ever! Gorts for the hall of fame".

Love it. :)

The guy still isn't done so don't take your seat belts off yet. I think we still have one more big move to make.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It's more costly to stunt the development of the young Dmen Gorton has amassed because of the short-sided tendencies this coach has reagarding Staal. The buyout is mitigated by having ELCs during the time of the highest hits, as well as having one of you top 4 Dmen probably on a bridge contract.

Smart business is signing Skjei to an 8 year contract for $40M next summer. 20/20 hindsight. The Rangers should have given McDonagh 8 years instead of 6 years in 2013. The Rangers didn't have the space for 8. Can't make the same mistake.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Smart business is signing Skjei to an 8 year contract for $40M next summer. 20/20 hindsight. The Rangers should have given McDonagh 8 years instead of 6 years in 2013. The Rangers didn't have the space for 8. Can't make the same mistake.

Maybe we see what Skjei looks like next season before throwing 8 year deals at him?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

That'd send a great message to Shattenkirk who Gorton told "we're not doing long term contracts anymore", lol.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
There's a big difference going long term with RFAs then UFAs. I'm all for going long term with good RFAs, avoid long term UFA deals like the plague though.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Maybe we see what Skjei looks like next season before throwing 8 year deals at him?

Id encourage all GMs to try for more 4 year deals and look at 5 years as a limit. I do not like how often the long term deals end up badly. I think those anchor/buyott contracts are bad for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad