531 132 123 255 395 Brouwer

443 110 200 310 239 Oshie

Actually a pretty fair deal.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I'm excited to watch our own draft picks play. Howden alone should help the pk. I think they will be better this season.

Agreed. Our 4th line was beyond useless. Holden will add ALOT of speed and make our PK much more dangerous. We had 0 SH goals last season I think. That's embarrassing. Maybe 1, Bolland EN? I really think we will surprise next season.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I don't see how one guy is supposed to make so much of a difference. If you don't think this team has a chance as is, then one guy won't turn this team into some sort of dominate team that toys with teams on some nights.
I'm not interesting in getting into the playoffs, I'm interested into becoming a contender for the foreseeable future.
None of these trades is about becoming a contender, these trades are about just getting into the playoffs, next year, no more. There's no concern about the future after that, or anything outside of that at all.
Oshie can't get out the first round with the Blues, how is he going to all of sudden turn this Panthers team that everyone thinks is not a playoff team without him into a top team in the east with him? Sharp is 33 years old and mediocre, how is that going to take this team from being a for sure non playoff team into a for sure playoff team? Forget Kessel, I don't even want to get into that discussion anymore.
And, there are 30 teams in the league, this crazy freaking out because 1 of these 3 players didn't go to the Panthers out of the other 29 possibilities is wacko.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
So much hypocracy on these boards... People whine and ***** that guys like Rocco are sent down and not in the nhl cause of veterans with less talent... Now u ***** cause we're going with the youth hahah... In ****ing believable... We're finally good enough that we can pretty much fill from within and not fill massive holes via free agency and u still *****... Good teams don't fill massive holes through free agency... If our core can't take us into playoffs then they aren't good enough and it need to be blown up anyway... They r still ridiculously young and inexperienced but the talent is obviously there... It's not comparable to pre tallon prospects who were mediocre at best... These r legit studs... They had 91pts last year with a joke of a 4th line and no scoring from the backend.. We r a better team than last year without touching a single player due to experience... We're gonna have a lot of speed and finishing ability on our 4 th line this year... I still can't believe some of u refuse to knowledge that internal growth is a bigger factor than any free agent ever will be... I know we like to think we r knowledgeable fans but I'm questioning it with some of these posts... Laughable to think we could have gotten oshie... Blues r in win now mode... I could go on but this is laughable

I feel you. This board will nitpick and complain for every would've/could've/should've-trade or other move on the market, and cry for Tallon to resign even if this franchise wins the cup.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Agreed. Our 4th line was beyond useless. Holden will add ALOT of speed and make our PK much more dangerous. We had 0 SH goals last season I think. That's embarrassing. Maybe 1, Bolland EN? I really think we will surprise next season.

This... Except it won't be much of a surprise... Our youth is trending in that direction.. They will be better next year... Barkov will be 20 ****ing years old... Huby will be another year and offseason stronger ... Scoring may not be as much of an issue as u guys think... We have a very diverse team that can play a lot of different styles...

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I feel you. This board will nitpick and complain for every would've/could've/should've-trade or other move on the market, and cry for Tallon to resign even if this franchise wins the cup.

The fans have waited for a long time so it's understandable but I want to be a cup contender not just a playoff team.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
This... Except it won't be much of a surprise... Our youth is trending in that direction.. They will be better next year... Barkov will be 20 ****ing years old... Huby will be another year and offseason stronger ... Scoring may not be as much of an issue as u guys think... We have a very diverse team that can play a lot of different styles...

Our first line will be much improved. They dominated for 20 games and we almost made the playoffs. If they and the Bjugs line stay healthy we are going to be a good team.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
^I understand.

But i think for most people here, when they say kids, they mean the AHLers. no one here is denying Barkov, Bjugstad, Pirri, and Huberdeau are going to be really Good forwards for us.

Think the issue is, yes, we are so close to be a playoff team then a contender. But, the reliance on potential (Grimaldi, Howden, even trocheck to a lesser extent) can get tiresome. At some point, proven talent > potential.

The frustration towards Tallon is simply on his current actions (and some non-actions).

Saying Things Like Kessel wouldn't push us over the edge, thus the lack of exploration for a trade sounds crazy to me.

the complaint isnt with the core, it's with the handing of the spots on the roster for "potential."

And Pirri has had one good half a year, so I still hold some apprehension towards him, especially when he has already had a number of extended injuries

RatKingBolland*

^I understand.

But i think for most people here, when they say kids, they mean the AHLers. no one here is denying Barkov, Bjugstad, Pirri, and Huberdeau are going to be really Good forwards for us.

Think the issue is, yes, we are so close to be a playoff team then a contender. But, the reliance on potential (Grimaldi, Howden, even trocheck to a lesser extent) can get tiresome. At some point, proven talent > potential.

The frustration towards Tallon is simply on his current actions (and some non-actions).

Saying Things Like Kessel wouldn't push us over the edge, thus the lack of exploration for a trade sounds crazy to me.

the complaint isnt with the core, it's with the handing of the spots on the roster for "potential."

And Pirri has had one good half a year, so I still hold some apprehension towards him, especially when he has already had a number of extended injuries

Insert: Thank you! gif

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
So much hypocracy on these boards... People whine and ***** that guys like Rocco are sent down and not in the nhl cause of veterans with less talent... Now u ***** cause we're going with the youth hahah... In ****ing believable... We're finally good enough that we can pretty much fill from within and not fill massive holes via free agency and u still *****... Good teams don't fill massive holes through free agency... If our core can't take us into playoffs then they aren't good enough and it need to be blown up anyway... They r still ridiculously young and inexperienced but the talent is obviously there... It's not comparable to pre tallon prospects who were mediocre at best... These r legit studs... They had 91pts last year with a joke of a 4th line and no scoring from the backend.. We r a better team than last year without touching a single player due to experience... We're gonna have a lot of speed and finishing ability on our 4 th line this year... I still can't believe some of u refuse to knowledge that internal growth is a bigger factor than any free agent ever will be... I know we like to think we r knowledgeable fans but I'm questioning it with some of these posts... Laughable to think we could have gotten oshie... Blues r in win now mode... I could go on but this is laughable

After 20 years of this ****, we're all a bit insane lol.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Very disappointed that is all it took to get Oshie. Really think he would have been great on a line with Bjugstad and Pirri.

And an addition like that would have been a real boost to the top 6 and the team as a whole. It wouldn't have guaranteed a playoff spot, but it would have increased our chances. Instead we're relying on 1 goal in 7 games Grimaldi to be our saviour. And Smith who might be better than Hayes. Oh and we bought out Boyes for some reason.

Washington has got stronger. Columbus has got stronger. Buffalo has got stronger but still probably won't make the big dance. Boston has got worse overall.

I think this current team will be just on the outside looking in. Again.

But hey it is not over, still could get Sharp!

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Oshie wasn't a free agent. He was traded.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
For those overreacting..

GP G A Pts PIM
531 132 123 255 395 Brouwer

443 110 200 310 239 Oshie

Actually a pretty fair deal.

I don't understand the comparing of stat lines here. One has averaged 57 points over his career and the other has averaged 39.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
The overreaction a here are hilarious. Our core group is a year older and should be ready to explode on to the scene. Would I rather have Sharp or Oshie to help out? Of course. But these kids are talented and will be just fine.

Having serious flashbacks.... To every off-season the past 15 years

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Blues have been looking for an apples for apples trade of core guys for some time. In Brouwer they get a character guy, more physical player

Nothing we could have done.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
^I understand.

I don't get the attitude that "Tallon didn't acquire X == Tallon didn't pursue X". Who knows exactly what he did or didn't do?

Kessel could push us over the edge. Selanne and Kariya-duo could have made the Avs a powerhouse in the west in 03-04, but it didn't pan out as many had planned. Kessel is still in the potential-category, but in a different sense. Taxes and death are the only two "sure" things in life.

Kessel ain't the only playa on the market this season. Much better would be to acquire E.Staal at the trade DL because the Canes aren't likely in the mix for the playoffs, Canes should let Lindholm and Rask take over 1C/2C, they still have J.Staal for 3C, and E.Staal most def would like to hoist the cup especially considering his level of skills, Staal and Bjugs could switch take turns with the 2C, etc.... That is just one scenario, but imo Crouse/Pirri - Staal - Bjugstad is much more interesting, Tallon-like (#size) and probable (fewer other teams after Staal ***) than Crouse/Pirri - Bjugstad - Kessel/Sharp + the Cats could trade the Savard onward to Canes. In other words, the trade market ain't over until it's over. Canes most likely would accept picks and prospects: 1st+ , something similar to Perron-trade.

*** e.g. MIN would need centers coz Granny, Coyle and Koivu aren't getting the job done but they are strapped for cap. They could drop Pommer but he ain't going from a contender to a rebuilder.

2cents...

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
It is a bummer that it didn't take much for the Caps to trade for Oshie, sign Williams, and the Pens to get Kessel as we could have easily offered more.

However, who knows if Tallon was in the hunt for Oshie. Maybe he was. Maybe he wasn't. Who also says that he would have accepted to come to an unproven playoff team like the Panthers. The Caps are just that with some existing star players on the roster.

The last two days does make me worry a bit as some other teams in the East that we will have to battle to get a playoff spot are getting better. I'm just not so sure if entirely going with the youth movement is such a good idea when looking at the competition. I'm more accepting now of trading for Sharp as I was two days ago. I'd guess Tallon is likely waiting until the Hawks lower their expectations dramatically, but could it be too late?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Blues have been looking for an apples for apples trade of core guys for some time. In Brouwer they get a character guy, more physical player

We have a load of character guys. Our whole team is made up of character guys! That is what we have plenty of! lol

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
It is a bummer that it didn't take much for the Caps to trade for Oshie, sign Williams, and the Pens to get Kessel as we could have easily offered more.

However, who knows if Tallon was in the hunt for Oshie. Maybe he was. Maybe he wasn't. Who also says that he would have accepted to come to an unproven playoff team like the Panthers. The Caps are just that with some existing star players on the roster.

The last two days does make me worry a bit as some other teams in the East that we will have to battle to get a playoff spot are getting better. I'm just not so sure if entirely going with the youth movement is such a good idea when looking at the competition. I'm more accepting now of trading for Sharp as I was two days ago. I'd guess Tallon is likely waiting until the Hawks lower their expectations dramatically, but could it be too late?

Oshie doesn't have a NTC, so that would not have been an issue.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013

Well if they were looking for a #character guy, somebody on our roster immediately comes to mind haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad