GDT: Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Having serious flashbacks.... To every off-season the past 15 years

Yup. I can't believe people are still buying this. It's okay to want to add legit talent to the young guys progressing. People did see how Jagr changed Barkov and Hubs' game.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I don't get the attitude that "Tallon didn't acquire X == Tallon didn't pursue X". Who knows exactly what he did or didn't do?

Kessel could push us over the edge. Selanne and Kariya-duo could have made the Avs a powerhouse in the west in 03-04, but it didn't pan out as many had planned. Kessel is still in the potential-category, but in a different sense. Taxes and death are the only two "sure" things in life.

Kessel ain't the only playa on the market this season. Much better would be to acquire E.Staal at the trade DL because the Canes aren't likely in the mix for the playoffs, Canes should let Lindholm and Rask take over 1C/2C, they still have J.Staal for 3C, and E.Staal most def would like to hoist the cup especially considering his level of skills, Staal and Bjugs could switch take turns with the 2C, etc.... That is just one scenario, but imo Crouse/Pirri - Staal - Bjugstad is much more interesting, Tallon-like (#size) and probable (fewer other teams after Staal ***) than Crouse/Pirri - Bjugstad - Kessel/Sharp + the Cats could trade the Savard onward to Canes. In other words, the trade market ain't over until it's over.

*** e.g. MIN would need centers coz Granny, Coyle and Koivu aren't getting the job done but they are strapped for cap. They could drop Pommer but he ain't going from a contender to a rebuilder.

2cents...

Oh I've been big on Staal since he was announced to be "available." he jumped to priority one on my trade for list.

Kessel was not in my top 3 to be honest.

Staal
Nash
Oshie

is my list. I don't covet Kessel like some

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
now that the shock is wearing off, I still have every appendage I have crossed that we get Nash or Staal, and the impossible dream of Tarasenko, but I fear arthritis may set in before it happens

RatKingBolland*

now that the shock is wearing off, I still have every appendage I have crossed that we get Nash or Staal, and the impossible dream of Tarasenko, but I fear arthritis may set in before it happens

Tarasenko you just have to give up, it's beyond dreamland borderline cuuko's nest. Regarding Nash i can agree with the "bare minimum" guys is a bad move and will cost way to much.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
Yup. I can't believe people are still buying this. It's okay to want to add legit talent to the young guys progressing. People did see how Jagr changed Barkov and Hubs' game.

Honestly, I get that people get annoyed when they come on here and see a ton of complaints about every guy that we don't get. However, after suffering from the longest playoff drought in NHL history, I think the only thing more frustrating than that is the people who come on here only to complain about the complainers. I think some believe management can do no wrong. Anybody who has stuck with this team through all the BS deserves a ton of credit, and certainly has every right to question things when nothing changes, again.

We've made the playoffs once in 15 years. That's almost unfathomable. Barring anything crazy, the Rangers, Penguins, Capitals, Blue Jackets, and Islanders all look like solid playoff teams. Tampa is going to make it. Montreal always finds a way. That leaves one playoff spot available for us, Detroit, Boston, Ottawa, etc. Yes, that is assuming a lot of things, but when you've been out of the playoffs as long as we have, and need success as badly as we do, you can't turn Jimmy Hayes into Reilly Smith and say, "Oh, we're better. We've done enough."

Those who are still here after all of this ridiculousness have earned the right to be upset after we miss on a player who is traded for cheap. Yes, it's entirely possible there are circumstances that we don't know about that made it impossible for something to happen. But, I think we've all heard comments like "he wouldn't have put us over the top" and other excuses, far too many times.

Personally, instead of sarcastically responding to every poster who posts negatively about missing a player who could have helped our mediocre offense, I'm just glad we have enough fans who still care to argue.

RatKingBolland*

Honestly, I get that people get annoyed when they come on here and see a ton of complaints about every guy that we don't get. However, after suffering from the longest playoff drought in NHL history, I think the only thing more frustrating than that is the people who come on here only to complain about the complainers. I think some believe management can do no wrong. Anybody who has stuck with this team through all the BS deserves a ton of credit, and certainly has every right to question things when nothing changes, again.

We've made the playoffs once in 15 years. That's almost unfathomable. Barring anything crazy, the Rangers, Penguins, Capitals, Blue Jackets, and Islanders all look like solid playoff teams. Tampa is going to make it. Montreal always finds a way. That leaves one playoff spot available for us, Detroit, Boston, Ottawa, etc. Yes, that is assuming a lot of things, but when you've been out of the playoffs as long as we have, and need success as badly as we do, you can't turn Jimmy Hayes into Reilly Smith and say, "Oh, we're better. We've done enough."

Those who are still here after all of this ridiculousness have earned the right to be upset after we miss on a player who is traded for cheap. Yes, it's entirely possible there are circumstances that we don't know about that made it impossible for something to happen. But, I think we've all heard comments like "he wouldn't have put us over the top" and other excuses, far too many times.

Personally, instead of sarcastically responding to every poster who posts negatively about missing a player who could have helped our mediocre offense, I'm just glad we have enough fans who still care to argue.

Good post, agree with you.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

Yup and got him for picks... guess no one's been paying attention to what oshie went for... it wasn't picks, it wasn't futures... Tallon will make a move if it makes sense like it has the last few trades he's made... he won't overpay and if someone wants something significant we have young kids to fill the spot... as it should be...

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
so unless injuries happen, by all accounts nyr, nyi, pit, wash, and clb should make the playoffs id imagine. meaning only way we get in, if thats the case, is through a divisional spot.

id like to think tb and montreal are making it, leaving that 1 last spot. it'll be down to us, boston, detroit, and ottawa. I'm not too worried about ottawa, and i think we can be better than boston. detroit will be our biggest opponent imo. we need to get that divisional spot to get in or else its not happening most likely.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Yup and got him for picks... guess no one's been paying attention to what oshie went for... it wasn't picks, it wasn't futures... Tallon will make a move if it makes sense like it has the last few trades he's made... he won't overpay and if someone wants something significant we have young kids to fill the spot... as it should be...

It was one pick, it was one future, and it was a current okay player. True, we didn't have that type of player to trade with them.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

And it's great to have the kids fill out the roster spots, I completely agree with that, as long as they earn it. but consequently, I do not , ever, remember A team becoming a contender without an influx of proven talent to augment your kids.

"i want to be the youngest and best team in the league."

Sorry, only one of those can happen.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

Well there was bug change last year so again I guess u have t been paying attention...yes missing playoffs for that long sucks but u dont undo what Tallon has built the last 5 years just to make playoffs... the future is just as important as the present.... this is the first time we've had a strong farm team and been carried to 91 pts by our core group of home grown players... the belief is our players r good enough to get it done and there's no need to change it... trading or signing a player doesn't make u a better for sure... there has to be a system fit, chemistry etc that go into a player having success on another team... I don't think Saad fits in with Columbus as good as he did in Chicago and they gave up a ton for him... they r by no means a lock for playoffs... they have a brutal backend... they lost a very solid center in anisimov aND Dano who i think will be just as good as saad... it's not as cut and dry as Columbus is better because saad... that's not how it works... Detroit might be brutal without babcock... mtl might nit score enough goals or price might get hurt... rangers r worse.. u act like everyone around us git better and tallon didn't want to... it's absolutely laughabke...

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
still hoping we can make 1 more addition on offense. either trade for sharp if you can get a good deal on him, or even add ward if cheap and is willing to sign for just 2 or 3yrs.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
And it's great to have the kids fill out the roster spots, I completely agree with that, as long as they earn it. but consequently, I do not , ever, remember A team becoming a contender without an influx of proven talent to augment your kids.

Tampa's kinda proving otherwise lol.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

Well we won't be the best and I don't expect to be.... I expect to be improved yet again from internal growth like we were last year... noone had a huge breakout year and we jumped that high.. we need 3 more wins than last year.... that's miniscule.. internal growth can achieve that rather easily... there so many changes from the start of last year to the start of this year... eventually it has to be our players in the lineup not outsiders year after year... weve shown were on the right track so why change it? Makes 0 sense... everything that has happened has been expected by me... I said a few days ago I don't see a fit for Boyes and Hayes and boom they r gone... makes sense... we have 5 or 6 kids battling for 2 spots... noone is guaran teed anything and they will have to battle and compete their ***** off to make it...

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Well we won't be the best and I don't expect to be.... I expect to be improved yet again from internal growth like we were last year... noone had a huge breakout year and we jumped that high.. we need 3 more wins than last year.... that's miniscule.. internal growth can achieve that rather easily... there so many changes from the start of last year to the start of this year... eventually it has to be our players in the lineup not outsiders year after year... weve shown were on the right track so why change it? Makes 0 sense... everything that has happened has been expected by me... I said a few days ago I don't see a fit for Boyes and Hayes and boom they r gone... makes sense... we have 5 or 6 kids battling for 2 spots... noone is guaran teed anything and they will have to battle and compete their ***** off to make it...

Yes your right, we were super close last year. it was exciting. and I was excited for potential moves this summer to push us over the edge. it didn't need to be a blockbuster, just solid moves that definitively makes the team better. I don't think that has happened.

Now, teams are better around us, and points are going to be even harder to get.

Think we get 7/8 points against buffalo again for sure? How about a healthy Carolina team? Toronto we took 6 of 8 last year, sure that can happen again. we barely got 3 points against Columbus as it is. Think we take 8 against Detroit for sure?

There are less bad teams next year throughout the league imo. not everyone improved drastically, but enough to put doubt in some of our minds.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
Well there was bug change last year so again I guess u have t been paying attention...yes missing playoffs for that long sucks but u dont undo what Tallon has built the last 5 years just to make playoffs... the future is just as important as the present.... this is the first time we've had a strong farm team and been carried to 91 pts by our core group of home grown players... the belief is our players r good enough to get it done and there's no need to change it... trading or signing a player doesn't make u a better for sure... there has to be a system fit, chemistry etc that go into a player having success on another team... I don't think Saad fits in with Columbus as good as he did in Chicago and they gave up a ton for him... they r by no means a lock for playoffs... they have a brutal backend... they lost a very solid center in anisimov aND Dano who i think will be just as good as saad... it's not as cut and dry as Columbus is better because saad... that's not how it works... Detroit might be brutal without babcock... mtl might nit score enough goals or price might get hurt... rangers r worse.. u act like everyone around us git better and tallon didn't want to... it's absolutely laughabke...

A little respect man. I've been following hockey religiously since I was 5 years old, so let's cut the not paying attention and laughable crap. Just because someone has a different opinion than yours doesn't mean it's wrong. What big change was there last year?

I never said everyone around us got better. I said we're probably on the outside looking in. You can't say, things are ok because "maybe Price will get hurt." You can say that about any team's best player. Chances are, it doesn't happen. All I said is there's nothing wrong with people questioning our direction when we've had virtually no success in 15 years. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If everyone just goes along with things and never says anything, it would be one quiet and boring message board.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
And we are all so quick to discount Boston, why Belesky isn't that good right? well that one guy has had an equal number of good seasons as Pirri, and we aren't discounting him.

what if Krejci is healthy? Pasternak and Spooner looked terrific. And Rask, at this point in their careers, is better than Luongo. yeah I said it.

This season will hinge on Luongo once again and he isn't even the best anymore amongst our competition.

RatKingBolland*

So adding proven talent at a rather low/midd cost will ruin Tallons not that impressive plan? I find that hard to believe. No one here is asking for a trade the farm deal, most are asking for some proven talent at a rather low/midd cost.. Atm that guy is either P.Sharp or J.Ward. If a trade like that would ruin everything then i guess the other 29 teams are doing it wrong.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
And we are all so quick to discount Boston, why Belesky isn't that good right? well that one guy has had an equal number of good seasons as Pirri, and we aren't discounting him.

what if Krejci is healthy? Pasternak and Spooner looked terrific. And Rask, at this point in their careers, is better than Luongo. yeah I said it.

This season will hinge on Luongo once again and he isn't even the best anymore amongst our competition.

You're not totally off here. Boston did miss the playoffs, and lost Lucic & Hamilton, but they can't be considered out of contention. Bergeron and Krejci are studs. Rask is rock solid. I think they miss the playoffs because their D is looking quite vulnerable, led by an aging Chara, but they are still going to contend, most likely. Nothing will come easy for us, especially with no improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad