Free Agency XII | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
As long as Adams isn't a lock for every game, I can stomach it. Still ridiculous he's still on this team. But whatever.

I like hearing Dupuis isn't a lock with Sid like the local media has us believe. Tocchet wanting lefties on LW and righties on RW should help as well.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
As long as Adams isn't a lock for every game, I can stomach it. Still ridiculous he's still on this team. But whatever.

I like hearing Dupuis isn't a lock with Sid like the local media has us believe. Tocchet wanting lefties on LW and righties on RW should help as well.

If we keep lefties on the left and righties on the right, then Dupuis just needs to outplay Spaling for a LW spot with Sid or Geno. I don't see how that helps keep Dupuis out of the top 6. I don't think it has much of an effect either way. If we really do stick to that plan, I would go with

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Spaling-Sutter-Downie

unless Spaling really surprises.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Yeah. That's a potential relief.

Less pleased that he'll possibly be tried with Malkin. As those two go together just about as well as water and oil. Not that it surprises me. Their options in the top six are... uh... thin. So it's inevitable that Dupuis gets his crack at it.

Sounds like the Penguins are more interested in forward "pairs" along with a rotation of third wheel players depending on circumstance and how hot/cold players are running. Makes sense. I feel like that's the direction the league has been going for a few years, now.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Actions will speak louder than words. Last year, this time, DB said Despres was a top 4 defender on our team and that our youth would get chances to play.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Actions will speak louder than words. Last year, this time, DB said Despres was a top 4 defender on our team and that our youth would get chances to play.

This might be picking nits... but didn't he actually say that during his glue-haze right after they got eliminated? He said lots of weird stuff during that presser.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
There is also a little video of Mike Johnston's interview yesterday on the Trib website. He does mention those guys by name, but I don't think necessarily as leaders, but mentions that he liked their character. I'm always glad when there is video that is the basis for an article, especially with the Trib, since they tend to put their own little spin and speculation into their stories.

http://triblive.com//x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/

Thanks for posting. The video is much more helpful. I think he just said Adams along with the list of guys he's met so far. I don't put much stock in that. Hopefully, he evaluates the ability of these guys first and their personality second.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sounds like the Penguins are more interested in forward "pairs" along with a rotation of third wheel players depending on circumstance and how hot/cold players are running. Makes sense. I feel like that's the direction the league has been going for a few years, now.

That makes sense really. Sid and Geno each with either Hornqvist or Kunitz. Sutter with Spaling. Downie, Bennett and Dupuis bounce between the other three spots.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Ugh I don't like that Adams quote. Hopefully by move around, he means from the press box to the waiver wire.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
This might be picking nits... but didn't he actually say that during his glue-haze right after they got eliminated? He said lots of weird stuff during that presser.

Yepp. He called Despres a top-4 defensemen and Beau a top-6 winger during his really bizarre post-sweep presser. He was interviewed again in early July right after free agency and declared that our top was Orpik-Martin Scuderi-Letang, KCD was still together, and one of Jokinen and Bennett would play LW with Geno and Neal.

He never left things open, he had his plan and he was going to stick to it no matter what.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Meh. I will wait until the regular season to see if he's on the opening line-up or not. If I was Mike Johnston, I would dress him and send him to fight some player that could knock him out. Put him out the entire season with a concussion.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If we keep lefties on the left and righties on the right, then Dupuis just needs to outplay Spaling for a LW spot with Sid or Geno. I don't see how that helps keep Dupuis out of the top 6. I don't think it has much of an effect either way. If we really do stick to that plan, I would go with

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Spaling-Sutter-Downie

I havent seen anything that would lead one to believe they'll separate Sid and Kunitz. The article linked above has MJ singling those two out.

Dupes' injury and lack of chemistry with Geno will work against him I think. I think Spaling can give him competition.

Just as Downie can with Bennett.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
For me, i just believe theres a better coaching mix now and things that don't work won't stick for long. And if Megna(or whoever) is seen as a better player than Adams, then Adams will be seeing the press box more often. Still means he can help out and be part of the "leadership" for the year.

Only time will tell if i'm right but i have to believe.:)

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Didn't DK corroborate the entire "Adams is a snake" thing a few weeks back?

Could be wrong.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the idea that Adams will be on the roster. It could just be a "give him enough rope to hang himself with" thing but I don't think it means nothing that he was referenced by name by the new head coach in two different articles the last 24ish hours. In one he was lumped in with the "leadership core."

Adams is the poster child of what's wrong with the team. It amazes me that this guy will be back for another year.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I havent seen anything that would lead one to believe they'll separate Sid and Kunitz. The article linked above has MJ singling those two out.

Dupes' injury and lack of chemistry with Geno will work against him I think. I think Spaling can give him competition.

Just as Downie can with Bennett.

If Hornqvist works better with Sid than he does with Geno (which I believe will be the case), then there is a strong possibility that Kunitz will be with Geno. He said they have to look at where everyone fits in. I don't think he's written anything in stone yet.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Of course Winnipeg wants to keep Kane. All 30 teams would want to keep Evander Kane given the situation. But this is a guy who's been about as vocal as possible about getting out of Winnipeg. Simply put, he doesn't want to be there. Even Winnipeg fans have accepted this.

Cheveldayoff hasn't made a player trade yet. He eventually will with Evander Kane. If you think Evander Kane finishes his career in Winnipeg (or his current contract, even), you're wrong.

If you think I think he won't be traded at some point, you would be wrong as well. The point I was making was that they are going to possibly move him for something they need with their forwards, if you look at their roster, they have a weak C depth. Kane is a guy that can maybe bring you back a solid young center, I mean the Flyers example makes the best example of this.

You think they'd want another young defenseman (Of which they have enough of) instead of a young C/W like Couts or Schenn? Or possibly Voracek depending on how desperate the Flyers get? We can't match that. Sutter would need to score 30 for people to think he's a guy that might fetch a better top 6 winger. But I don't think Maatta gets us that from that team.

I mean I would be happy with Ladd or Wheeler as well.

If the Pens can move Fleury I'm sure they will, cause let's be honest it's his last season signed and I don't think he get's an extension unless he plays lights out this year which I doubt. If he can be moved then ship him out of town!!!

I hope he walks, his agent is happy with the situation right now, I think at this point both parties will test the market.

I just hope Greiss plays enough for the team to know.

I am curious where MAF ends up though and I don't see him being moved at the deadline, not unless Greiss plays exceptionally well and it's while his workload is increased and it turns into a Lack/Luongo situation where Greiss is played in games you would have bet MAF would get and he pushes for a new home (a good scenario I think, we'd get something for him then).

Next off season though? Sharks are the only team that will be losing their #1, Wild lose Harding but I have a feeling Kuemper gets more games this year and is seen as the new #1 anyway. Hope he lands on his feet, I want nothing to do with Niemi.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Hornqvist works better with Sid than he does with Geno (which I believe will be the case), then there is a strong possibility that Kunitz will be with Geno. He said they have to look at where everyone fits in. I don't think he's written anything in stone yet.

Who do you put on the LW on Sid's line in that case? I think there's a good possibility of a Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist attempt and I wouldn't be against seeing a Spaling-Malkin-Bennett shot as well.

Or do people see Hornqvist as being the LW/RW and Bennett just solely being a RW again.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That makes sense really. Sid and Geno each with either Hornqvist or Kunitz. Sutter with Spaling. Downie, Bennett and Dupuis bounce between the other three spots.

Most likely scenario I think.

So we'll see pairs of this:

Kunitz - Crosby
Malkin - Hornqvist
Spaling - Sutter
Comeau - Goc

I included Goc because it does matter that the 4th line sees some consistency as well.

That leaves Megna, Bennett, Downie, and Dupuis as the guys rotating around...and sadly maybe Adams.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

That quote by MJ suggests he'll be building off Kunitz/Sid as a pair. Nothing's written in stone, but I'd bet that's pretty close.

Hornqvist will fit in fine with anyone. Players with his skillset can carve out a niche on any line. I think he'd fit in very well with Sid bringing the best elements of Guerin and Dupuis. But there's an argument to be made that he may fit in better with Geno since his skating wouldn't be as much of an issue. And his weaknesses carrying the puck up ice and neutral zone play would be minimized not playing against the stiffest competition and with a center who likes to carry the puck most of the time anyway.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Spaling-Sutter-Downie

Under those restrictions, that's probably the best we can do with what we have, with a possible flip-flopping of Downie and Bennett depending on how the two look there.

Said it before, but I hope Dupuis has been taking that junk that Ray Lewis took to fix his ligaments.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Deer antler, dried tiger penis and a healthy dose of various large-game animal hormones should fix him right up!

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Who do you put on the LW on Sid's line in that case? I think there's a good possibility of a Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist attempt and I wouldn't be against seeing a Spaling-Malkin-Bennett shot as well.

Or do people see Hornqvist as being the LW/RW and Bennett just solely being a RW again.

Bennett will almost certainly be a RW. Tocchet retweeted something last year about how LW isn't his position. Hornqvist can play LW.

That quote by MJ suggests he'll be building off Kunitz/Sid as a pair. Nothing's written in stone, but I'd bet that's pretty close.

Hornqvist will fit in fine with anyone. Players with his skillset can carve out a niche on any line. I think he'd fit in very well with Sid bringing the best elements of Guerin and Dupuis. But there's an argument to be made that he may fit in better with Geno since his skating wouldn't be as much of an issue. And his weaknesses carrying the puck up ice and neutral zone play would be minimized not playing against the stiffest competition and with a center who likes to carry the puck most of the time anyway.

He was asked if he had forward pairs in mind. He said that he knows Sid and Kunitz play well together, then he went into a long discussion about how they need to see where everyone fits. Context is important. I don't think saying that they're a good pair is the same as saying that they will be attached to each other's hip no matter what.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Under those restrictions, that's probably the best we can do with what we have, with a possible flip-flopping of Downie and Bennett depending on how the two look there.

Said it before, but I hope Dupuis has been taking that junk that Ray Lewis took to fix his ligaments.

I expect Spaling to beat out Dupuis in camp for top 6 duty not necessarily because I think Spaling is a world-beater, but because the wheels might come off Dupuis. That leaves Sutter most likely with Downie or Duper as his guy.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i have a feeling tocchet disagrees with a few of these things

also have a feeling johnston can't know much of anything until training camp

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Bennett will almost certainly be a RW. Tocchet retweeted something last year about how LW isn't his position. Hornqvist can play LW.

I actually looked up Hornqvist's linemates over the years. Doesn't look like he's played LW for more than 5% of his total minutes in Nashville. Wilson, Sullivan, Kostitsyn brothers, Spaling and Bourque are all pretty locked in LWs. Erat and Dumont are the only guys he played with that would have forced him to LW. And that was a very small amount of the time.

Maybe there was a stretch of time I'm missing, but I think it's a much safer bet he's on RW this year.

He was asked if he had forward pairs in mind. He said that he knows Sid and Kunitz play well together, then he went into a long discussion about how they need to see where everyone fits. Context is important. I don't think saying that they're a good pair is the same as saying that they will be attached to each other's hip no matter what.

I like Hornqvist, but he's not a better player at ES. Doesn't make much sense to split Kunitz and Sid up IMO. If a more dynamic winger is brought in, I'm all for it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I expect Spaling to beat out Dupuis in camp for top 6 duty not necessarily because I think Spaling is a world-beater, but because the wheels might come off Dupuis. That leaves Sutter most likely with Downie or Duper as his guy.

I still don't know anything about Spaling, but I also expect the bold, despite hoping for the best.

I wouldn't bet against Dupuis flunking out of consideration for a top six spot within a month. Possibly even in camp. It's not his fault, his game's based on leg strength. I can't imagine he'll have enough again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad