Free Agency XII | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I expect Spaling to beat out Dupuis in camp for top 6 duty not necessarily because I think Spaling is a world-beater, but because the wheels might come off Dupuis. That leaves Sutter most likely with Downie or Duper as his guy.

I just have never seen Dupuis look very good with Malkin. Their styles just don't mesh. If Hornqvist ends up with Geno, Spaling's recent history playing with him may give him a leg up. Malkin could make do with those two for now. Two guys who work the boards, go to the net and help cover up defensively.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I expect Spaling to beat out Dupuis in camp for top 6 duty not necessarily because I think Spaling is a world-beater, but because the wheels might come off Dupuis. That leaves Sutter most likely with Downie or Duper as his guy.

Yeah. A 35 year old who blew out his knee and was already looking like he'd lost something before that happened makes me think Spaling will take it if they really stick to handedness. Use Spaling as a temporary puck retriever who will go to the net.

Ultimately I think things will be more fluid than they were in the past.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I still don't know anything about Spaling, but I also expect the bold, despite hoping for the best.

I wouldn't bet against Dupuis flunking out of consideration for a top six spot within a month. Possibly even in camp. It's not his fault, his game's based on leg strength. I can't imagine he'll have enough again.

Dupuis could legitimately flunk out of top 9 duty altogether if your suspicions about his leg strength are confirmed. He had good chemistry with Sutter in limited time last year, but that chemistry was almost entirely based on his speed.

If Dupuis can ever get back to being a functional top 9 forward, I expect it will come next year assuming no further setbacks. And that's a big if. The tendency will be to over-compensate and begin to suffer injuries of the nagging variety in the other leg. The worst case scenario is that he ends up back on a 4th line, unable to crack our top 4 or 5 PK forwards. I hope I'm wrong, but I consider that the most likely outcome this year along with some stints on IR.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I hope when Sid and Malkin are together, that Malkin takes the center role. It's frustrating watching Malkin playing as a winger, when Sid plays that role much better. Malkin the primary puck handler, Sid focusing on puck chasing and shooting and not deferring. I thought that Neal would have been better on the left side instead of Kunitz, because when Kunitz is with them there's too much passing back and forth and Sid and Malkin are only looking for each other. Why was Neal-Malkin-Crosby never tried? It just made too much sense to me.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Dupuis could legitimately flunk out of top 9 duty altogether if your suspicions about his leg strength are confirmed. He had good chemistry with Sutter in limited time last year, but that chemistry was almost entirely based on his speed.

If Dupuis can ever get back to being a functional top 9 forward, I expect it will come next year assuming no further setbacks. And that's a big if. The tendency will be to over-compensate and begin to suffer injuries of the nagging variety in the other leg. The worst case scenario is that he ends up back on a 4th line, unable to crack our top 4 or 5 PK forwards. I hope I'm wrong, but I consider that the most likely outcome this year along with some stints on IR.

On a third line, Dupuis would probably just be asked to counterattack, stay in position and go up and down the wall. I think he should still be able to do that, unless he's lost a step and a half.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he'll flunk all the way to the fourth. At least not yet.

The way he was functioning on the top line the last several years is that he was initiating contact away from the puck in traffic and high value areas. Pushing people slightly out of position to create seams that one of his more talented linemates could use. Really depends on lower body strength to pull that off.

In my mind, I can't reconcile an injury like his at his age allowing him to still be capable of doing that. And if he can't do that, all he is is a dude with a rubber blade on your top line.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
On a third line, Dupuis would probably just be asked to counterattack, stay in position and go up and down the wall. I think he should still be able to do that, unless he's lost a step and a half.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he'll flunk all the way to the fourth. At least not yet.

The way he was functioning on the top line the last several years is that he was initiating contact away from the puck in traffic and high value areas. Pushing people slightly out of position to create seams that one of his more talented linemates could use. Really depends on lower body strength to pull that off.

In my mind, I can't reconcile an injury like his at his age allowing him to still be capable of doing that. And if he can't do that, all he is is a dude with a rubber blade on your top line.

I hope you're right. We need to get some additional mileage out of that cap space, this year in particular. If he can't be a useful contributor on the third line and play at least 60 games, it really reduces our margin for error in terms of depth and cap space to adequately fill out a legit top 9.

If we can get 65 games, 15G/15A, with 3rd line TOI, and give or take a minute on the PK per game out of him, I'll be pretty happy.

Last edited:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I actually looked up Hornqvist's linemates over the years. Doesn't look like he's played LW for more than 5% of his total minutes in Nashville. Wilson, Sullivan, Kostitsyn brothers, Spaling and Bourque are all pretty locked in LWs. Erat and Dumont are the only guys he played with that would have forced him to LW. And that was a very small amount of the time.

Maybe there was a stretch of time I'm missing, but I think it's a much safer bet he's on RW this year.
Well the organization has really been pushing the idea that he can play both sides and Hornqvist himself said the same. If he's only going to be a RW, then him and Beau won't be on the same line and one of Dupuis or Spaling would have to be in the top six.

I like Hornqvist, but he's not a better player at ES. Doesn't make much sense to split Kunitz and Sid up IMO. If a more dynamic winger is brought in, I'm all for it.

Why doesn't it make sense to split them up? I think they could benefit from it if it happens, and Kunitz also plays well with Geno.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If i was the coach, it would be fluid but Kunitz/Horns would never be on the same line. Just think it provides a better balance. Maybe Tochett/MJ will eventually think the same way. Who knows.

Also really depends how the other players do and how they fit at camp. Downie, Bennett, Spaling are probably gonna be the guys battling for top 6 spots imo. I agree with most here that Dupuis just won't have it, especially to start the season. I see the 3 mentioned just looking better at camp whether they be with Sid or Geno. I'd really like 2 or all 3 of them to look great at camp cuz that'll push Dupuis where he belongs.

My other wish is for Megna to have a great camp and knock Adams off the starting roster.

Last edited:

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Just watched the Johnston video on the trib website. A lot of that to me sounded like leadership and locker room personality. I'm not gonna read too much into him mentioning Adams.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Kunitz and Hornqvist should stay split up. Not just because they are our best wingers and it spreads the wealth, but because they are also our best net crashers and it makes sense to have one on each line.

As far as left handed and right handed guys playing on the correct side, I think Bennett is the one guy who that should be most strictly followed. He is a playmaker first and foremost far more than anyone else on the wing, and having the puck on his backhand is not good for that.

Downie will almost certainly see time in the top 6 most nights, but probably only a handful of shifts.

Spaling is most likely going to play on the 3rd line as the guy Sutter can get comfortable with.

Dupuis, whether we like it or not, deserves a chance to get back to where he was before last season. If he plays at that level, he is probably our 4th best wing. Unless maybe Downie gets back to his peak too. I would also be less upset to see Dupuis with Hornqvist than Kunitz.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Well the organization has really been pushing the idea that he can play both sides and Hornqvist himself said the same. If he's only going to be a RW, then him and Beau won't be on the same line and one of Dupuis or Spaling would have to be in the top six.

Maybe there was a quote I missed. But from what I remember, it was more of the generic, "I'll play wherever they need me" type answer. I'm sure he's capable of playing LW. Just saying that I checked it out myself, and it doesn't look like he has much at all.

Why doesn't it make sense to split them up? I think they could benefit from it if it happens, and Kunitz also plays well with Geno.

Kunitz made Team Canada b/c of the chemistry he has with Crosby. I doubt MJ dismisses that b/c we have PH now.

I wouldn't necessarily be against it. But I can certainly see a new coach wanting to have some semblance of familiarity/continuity. Especially for his 1st line center. He'll have enough on his plate implementing his system.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kunitz and Hornqvist should stay split up. Not just because they are our best wingers and it spreads the wealth, but because they are also our best net crashers and it makes sense to have one on each line.

As far as left handed and right handed guys playing on the correct side, I think Bennett is the one guy who that should be most strictly followed. He is a playmaker first and foremost far more than anyone else on the wing, and having the puck on his backhand is not good for that.

Downie will almost certainly see time in the top 6 most nights, but probably only a handful of shifts.

Spaling is most likely going to play on the 3rd line as the guy Sutter can get comfortable with.

Dupuis, whether we like it or not, deserves a chance to get back to where he was before last season. If he plays at that level, he is probably our 4th best wing. Unless maybe Downie gets back to his peak too. I would also be less upset to see Dupuis with Hornqvist than Kunitz.

Spaling and Downie also spend alot of their time in the offensive zone around the net. I think Kunitz and PH will end up on different lines too, but having net crashers on different lines isn't the main reason.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Spaling and Downie also spend alot of their time in the offensive zone around the net. I think Kunitz and PH will end up on different lines too, but having net crashers on different lines isn't the main reason.

and they are most likely going to be on the 3rd line.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Don't know if anyone saw this yet:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/26/johnston-will-enter-camp-looking-for-wingers-for-malkin/

Before his 2013-14 campaign was cut short due to a knee injury, Pascal Dupuis was typically the third man on that top unit, but that might not be the case under Johnston.

“(Dupuis) can play anywhere in the lineup,†Johnston told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “He certainly has played well with Sid before. Can he play well with (Malkin)? That’s what we’ve got to see."

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, Eklund gonna Eklund but it would take 2 money guys going the other way with Marleau's 6.6M salary or 1 Letang.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The move that makes a heluva lotta sense to me is letting Scuds prove he still has game left in him while Maata is out and moving him before the deadline for Geno's LW'er. (like the Scuds for Upshall move discussed earlier. something like that).

Atleast, if you wanted to contend this year, that makes the most sense. The next one would be packaging Martin with something but you're losing alot on the back end if you want to contend. Other move would be moving a blue chip (Maata or Pouliot) with a money player(or players) to fit the winger coming back under the cap.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Maybe there was a quote I missed. But from what I remember, it was more of the generic, "I'll play wherever they need me" type answer. I'm sure he's capable of playing LW. Just saying that I checked it out myself, and it doesn't look like he has much at all.

They've been really pushing the idea that he can play both sides, and I believe he mentioned it when he had his conference call with our media. Maybe he played it more frequently in Sweden. I honestly don't think it would affect his game very much the way it would for Bennett. As Ogre said, Bennett shouldn't play LW. I haven't heard anything about Downie being able to play both sides. So if we're saying that Hornqvist can only play LW, that means we're penciling in one of Spaling or Dupuis in the top six, which limits our options a lot.

Kunitz made Team Canada b/c of the chemistry he has with Crosby. I doubt MJ dismisses that b/c we have PH now.

I wouldn't necessarily be against it. But I can certainly see a new coach wanting to have some semblance of familiarity/continuity. Especially for his 1st line center. He'll have enough on his plate implementing his system.

I don't think it matters what happened with Team Canada. Having pairs that were already comfortable together were important in the Olympics because of the very limited amount of time the team had to practice together and build chemistry. We have 82 games for that to take place.

It's also not just about Sid and what makes the best possible first line, it's about making the best possible lineup from the first to the fourth.

I'm not saying that Johnston is definitely going to split them up, but it's a possibility that shouldn't automatically be pushed aside.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Marleau to the Pens makes zero sense.

If we're going to add a winger, it's going to be someone cheap, someone on an ELC, or we're going to ship out the likes of Sutter/Scuds/Dupuis, etc to open up cap space.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd rather try Sutter on Sid's wing than recreate KCD. Sutter's actually got some decent hands, is responsible defensively, and has a nice shot. We've got enough centers that Goc and Spaling can just take over the 3C/4C spots with Sutter promoted.

Not ideal, mind you. But it looks like we're starting the season with these holes in the top six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad