Proposal: Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don’t see him going anywhere else. His wife is a homebody, very very big on family. I think she gets what she wants. They have enough money, they aren’t going to starve if he signs for 7 x 10.. that’s like 45 million after taxes.. how many millions do you need when you only have one life to live? To some people family and happiness is more important.

And what other teams can afford him? A team that can actually contend for the cup with him in the lineup? Barely no teams that’s who. There aren’t many options here that will keep his wife happy. Rangers? She probably wants nothing to do with living there. And people will say “oh it’s just xxx hours away by plane, she can fly down when ever blah blah blah”, inventing solutions for what you think people want doesn’t make them viable. It sounds like she wants to be very close, the kind of close that is only a short drive away.

It's not just about the wife, although that's the main driving factor. EK thrives in a hockey market imo he wants to play here for the attention, prestige and winning a cup for the CH, nothing better. He wants it. Not like the typical hockey player who would normally shun the habs.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fair. I think some people gave Galchenyuk a break cause they though he should of been given more time at center? And no break goes to Drouin cause he got his one full season chance at center?

The difference to me is that Galchenyuk appeared to want to play center and was playing center on his last junior year before succumbing to a major injury.

Drouin, on the other hand, was pressed into service to play center -- he admitted himself at the end of the first season that it wasn't his position of choice and that his performance suffered because of it.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
All I am saying is that he was a liability defensively this year. People have the right to be concerned with him. No player was on the ice more for goals against than Erik Karlsson in the playoffs. A team will sign him for his offensive talent, not his defensive play.
You score 3 goals with ek and I think price can deal with it. Habs are starved for great offensive d men. Ek is a no brainer.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The biggest difference which you forgot to mention: Kessel is a hard worker, Drouin is a slacker.

Kessel >> Drouin

I don't think there is any evidence to that opinion.

Both have had serious questions about their training diligence.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Karlsson is coming to Montreal. Mark my words.

The wife wants to move back here, it’s official. It’s Montreal or Ottawa for them right now, it sounds nuts but it’s the truth.

Bergevin will sign him. Let’s hope it’s no more than 7 years X 9.5 mil
Try 7 11. That’s what it will be. Subban is half the player and is 9. I’d pay ek 11 no probs.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
In the four years before Toronto traded Kessel he put up ppg numbers for 3 of them and the only time he didn't he still put up over 60, whereas Drouin has not even 60.

The difference in value between a weak/lazy defensive player who puts up ppg #s and one that only puts up 50 points is huge. There is simply no reason to build a team with the idea of letting a 50 point player shine.

We either need to find a sucker GM who still thinks Drouin is a potential ppg player, bend over backwards to make Drouin look good in an effort to trade him, or accept him for the average player he is.

Yeah, but those 3 years coincide with Drouin's next 3 years...

And during that time, Kessel was given full reigns from the organization, despite the team's lack of success.

Im no fan of Drouin, but I don't doubt he could put up ppg stats the next 3 years if CJ & the Habs gave him first line duties & full PP ice time, regardless of behavior or team results.

In any case, I agree that we need to find either a GM who overestimates what Drouin is (like MB did) or one who has a roster fit for him that would allow him to shine & willing to pay value for that.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Did you leave your family, move your family, have no friends or support and away from everyone you love at a time when you just lost a baby?

I moved away from home when I was single but not a single one of my friends or family who had their own family did the same. It’s much harder to uproot your family and move to where you don’t have anyone especially if you’re incredibly close to them as she apparently is with hers.

Can’t compare your experience to hers. Money doesn’t buy family and comfort.
Forgot she lost a baby. My bad. That would explain a lot.

Reactions: Runner77

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
If Skinner actually clocks in at $9 million, the best course of action is to go all in on Karlsson (priority #1) and Panarin (priority #2) only. After they undoubtedly strike out on Panarin, walk away from UFA forwards and just hope for some progress from within.

Guys like Skinner and Duchene just don't tilt the ice enough to command this kind of money, cap inflation or not. And I'm a big Duchene fan.

EDIT: I wouldn't cry if Duchene was signed...

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
The fun thing for this year is that, to begin with, Duchene's dad was a Habs fan and Matt was too.
Erik Karlsson's wife wants to be closer to home, Ottawa..... or Montreal.
2 high end players who "might" have interest in playing in Montreal. Not bad. It'll keep Bergevin busy.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Yeah, but those 3 years coincide with Drouin's next 3 years...

And during that time, Kessel was given full reigns from the organization, despite the team's lack of success.

Im no fan of Drouin, but I don't doubt he could put up ppg stats the next 3 years if CJ & the Habs gave him first line duties & full PP ice time, regardless of behavior or team results.

In any case, I agree that we need to find either a GM who overestimates what Drouin is (like MB did) or one who has a roster fit for him that would allow him to shine & willing to pay value for that.

Are you saying we didn't give Drouin full reign? What do you call sticking with him at center for a whole year. He's had 1st line duties & full PP time since day 1 in Montreal. And if you want to compare how they started the NHL, they were arguably similar in their rookie/sophmore years, but the major difference is Kessel got better year over year, with Drouin it's almost the opposite, the only difference between now and his rookie year and now is he's been getting lots of PP. He hasn't actually gotten better in his first 4 years, which is why expecting him to suddenly break out is unlikely.

And for the record, I don't think there is a roster fit that would allow him to shine and the team to do well. What we can hope to do is make him shine at the expense of the team in order to "trick" a GM into thinking Drouin is actually a good player.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Zero chance they are good in two years. Terribly D, an aging tender and no offense. 5-10 year rebuild minimum
Uh no. Check their young d. And they Still have zib. Hayes probably back. And I have not checked on their 6 first round picks the last few years. Rags will contend in 3 years. I’m never wrong.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The fun thing for this year is that, to begin with, Duchene's dad was a Habs fan and Matt was too.
Erik Karlsson's wife wants to be closer to home, Ottawa..... or Montreal.
2 high end players who "might" have interest in playing in Montreal. Not bad. It'll keep Bergevin busy.
B8Ik1AOCcAAfzXt.jpg

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Lavoie Dreger Denis all said that it’s not happening... I this we should start to think more about Duchene then Karlsson

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

This prospects watcher guy is the same individual who claimed Detroit was a better landing spot for EK.

And now he’s tweeting an absurdly ambiguous reference about Dreger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad