Speculation: Free Agency Thread

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
On another note, after seeing Brouwer and Backes leave and no FA signed to replace Backes, Hitch having a swan song next season seems really weird.

Army's press was bit arduous. Love those bit too long quiets moments after he get questions and how he respond couple questions.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I really hope Boedker told us now, otherwise, that was a terrible move by Army.

And sounds like he took a discount to play there, so whatever.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
It's starting to become obvious players don't want to either play with Hitch, Army, or the whatever the **** you call a coach in waiting Yeowhatever

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Surprised Vesey hasn't signed with anyone yet. You would have thought that by now he would have decided where he wants to go. He will be a low cap hit for whichever team he goes to.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
It's starting to become obvious players don't want to either play with Hitch, Army, or the whatever the **** you call a coach in waiting Yeowhatever

The **** are you talking about? We just don't have the cap space to sign these guys(we did Boedker, but clearly he wanted to play for Deboer in San Jose). Chicago signed a washed up Brian Campbell, Michael Rosival who might be the worst player in the league, and Brandon Mashinter. Does that mean nobody wants to play for Q? No, it means they can't offer the kind of money other teams can because they're already near the cap.

Backes signed for more than we can realistically afford to give him, Brouwer signed an absolutely HORRENDOUS contract with Calgary, Okposo got WAY overpaid like everyone knew he would, Ladd got 7 ****ing years at 30 years old, Lucic got 7x6 from Edmonton....which of those contracts would you like the Blues to take on? They are all HORRIFIC. Winning teams don't hand out awful contracts like that plain and simple.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Surprised Vesey hasn't signed with anyone yet. You would have thought that by now he would have decided where he wants to go. He will be a low cap hit for whichever team he goes to.

He isn't an UFA until something like August 15. Different rules for players in that situation.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Which is why they'd need to move someone like Krejčí out, clears salary for Shattenkirk. Bergeron, Backes and Spooner down the middle.

Not that I expect it, but I can absolutely see it happening. Particularly with the decision to buy out Seidenberg.

I'd prefer to try to add to the deal and move either Berglund or Lehtera and have them add Spooner to the deal. Krecji + Spooner is $8.175M in cap space, which is really close to either 22+21 ($7.95M) or 22+12 ($8.95M) at this point.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
The **** are you talking about? We just don't have the cap space to sign these guys(we did Boedker, but clearly he wanted to play for Deboer in San Jose). Chicago signed a washed up Brian Campbell, Michael Rosival who might be the worst player in the league, and Brandon Mashinter. Does that mean nobody wants to play for Q? No, it means they can't offer the kind of money other teams can because they're already near the cap.

Backes signed for more than we can realistically afford to give him, Brouwer signed an absolutely HORRENDOUS contract with Calgary, Okposo got WAY overpaid like everyone knew he would, Ladd got 7 ****ing years at 30 years old, Lucic got 7x6 from Edmonton....which of those contracts would you like the Blues to take on? They are all HORRIFIC. Winning teams don't hand out awful contracts like that plain and simple.

Eh, I personally could stomach the Okposo contract. But for the other players, I believe I share a similar feeling with you. I'd feel pissed if Army gave Ladd 7 years.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Eh, I personally could stomach the Okposo contract. But for the other players, I believe I share a similar feeling with you. I'd feel pissed if Army gave Ladd 7 years.

I could stomach it, but I don't think he's anything more than a 50 point player without Tavaras.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Missing out on Boedker is the only downside this FA.

Those other guys' contracts are absolutely insane. Benning is a complete tool.....held onto Hamhuis then watched him go to the team he was going to trade with anyways and then turns around and gives LE 6x6.....

Okposo and Ladd....oooof.

Blues aren't looking to be in amazing shape but damn, I don't see anything during this FA that would have made me happy. I thought this team was a dumpster fire last year and look what they did. Not saying I expect a repeat or an improvement, but as always...I'll see how this works out.

Shatty trade is so damn critical now.......Taylor ****ing Hall....so close SMH

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis

Main reason I wanted Okposo was to see him on a line with Schwartz.But yea that contract wasn't going to fly here

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I still think he'd be able to score 20-25 goals if paired with Stastny.

Maybe, but are we in a position to pay 6M for 7 years for 20-25 goals? We already have 4 wingers(Steen, Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Fabbri) who could realistically hit that mark(and more in the case of Tarasenko and Schwartz). It just seems like a lot of unnecessary money to tie up in a winger when our top 6 wingers are already pretty damn good, and all but Steen are young.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe, but are we in a position to pay 6M for 7 years for 20-25 goals? We already have 4 wingers(Steen, Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Fabbri) who could realistically hit that mark(and more in the case of Tarasenko and Schwartz). It just seems like a lot of unnecessary money to tie up in a winger when our top 6 wingers are already pretty damn good, and all but Steen are young.

The Blues really don't have any wingers in the system that have that ceiling(I'm not sold on Rattie), and I'd think Okposo would fit like a glove with regards to replacing Backes' offensive production and thus justify the contract. Army didn't have an issue with the $, but the term to Backes, so I think they could've afforded Okposo if they wanted to go that route.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well he did talk to Okposo. Possible Okposo wanted to stay in the New York area. Still though, that's alot of money for alot of years for a guy that doesn't nessisaraly drive the offense. That's why Hall would have been fine at that price. He creates alot of offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad