Speculation: Free Agency Thread

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I didn't see one so I thought I would take a minute to make one up. Mods if you feel this belongs in the Off Season Sticky, you can move it there.

At this point, it doesn't sound like Backes will be back, with everything being said in the media.

So, assuming we have close over 13 million coming off the books (Backes, Brouwer, Shatty). But another 4 likely going to Schwartz, what do you see being done with the 9 million. (I have Ott's money going to Soby).

Kyle Okposo may be the best forward available - when you look at age. Isn't big, but very at 217. fairly solid.

Staal may be the most underrated. At 31, likely has the most mileage left in his game. Doesn't have the injury history and wont cost what Stamkos will cost.

Stamkos - best UFA to hit the market in years. But boy had he had injury issues. Not sure we can bring him in w/o serious cap hell a couple of years from now when CP, Fabbri, Steen, etc are all due for raises or new contracts.

Loui Eriksson is a Steen clone and while a great UFA, I don't see any reason to trade for him. I think Army has already moved on or he would have been with the team at the deadline.

David Backes - with his playoffs and likely cost, I am not sure I want to eat a contract. There is a business side to this, unfortunately.

Andrew Ladd is another interesting player looking to get paid. Very similar to Backes, but not able to center. At his age, you begin to wonder when his body will start to pay the price for his physical play.

Milan Lucic - Similar to Ladd, but song pedigree for winning. But rumor has it he wants to stay out West.

Someone I wouldn't mind getting for the 4th line would be Dale Weise. Add a physical presence, plus solid d skills.

Who do you like and why?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We currently have roughly 14.5 million in cap space. Lets say Shattenkirk makes that 18.75.

Schwartz at 6, Sobotka at 2.725, and Brodziak at 1 bring it to 9.025. Lets just assume that Lindbohm takes Shattenkirk's spot or Schmaltz does, so our defense isn't adding any money. Rattie brings us down to 8.175ish. We have around 8 million to either resign Paajarvi, Upshall, or another 4th line/spare forward. Then we have roughly 6-7 to sign a top 6/9 guy. That makes most trade options for Shattenkirk a possibility, whether it is a cheap guy like Spooner or a vet type with some salary. Maybe we go for a pure future trade and try and sign a free agent. I think the main point is, if Backes is the guy we are signing, we are going to have some very limited flexibility if it doesn't work out.

Most realistic scenario is that Shattenkirk returns a cheap roster or NHL ready prospect, and then Army tries to bolster the bottom pairing with an offensive guy. Having a bottom 3 consist of Edmundson, Lindbohm, Bortozzo, and Schmaltz seems pretty risky for Army. That would leave 4ish for another forward depending on if we need it after a Shattenkirk trade, so it could get pretty tight.

Don't put stock into that lineup, I was just plugging guys into reasonable spots. Ideally Jaskin steps up and secures a top 9 spot, making Lehtera, Berglund, or Sobotka either expendable or play on the 4th.

Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Steen-Stastny-Fabbri
Berglund-Sobotka-XXX
Jaskin-Brodziak-Reaves

Rattie, XXX

Last edited:

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I think our best bet is to get Draisaitl out of Edmonton. Even if we have to add Shattenkirk+28 for Draisaitl+2nd/3rd I think is decent value. Draisaitl is still kn his ELC and very young, allowing us to potentially bring in a UFA on short term maybe Eric Staal? Darren Helm? Not sure what UFA would want but we have that option. Draisaitl in my opinion is the perfect player, obviously very skilled and has the size and strength to matchup against any effectively.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Eriksson would be a huge pick up. But yea like you said it's a long shot. Personally I would love to see Lucic as a blue but I think I'm in the minority on that.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Our best scenario behind salary cap hell is trade Shattery for futures or let him walk after next year for nothing and what really will happend to Steen next year? Most have add he'd be our next captain, but in reality can we afford to keep him too?

bleedblue1223 said:
Most realistic scenario is that Shattenkirk returns a cheap roster or NHL ready prospect, and then Army tries to bolster the bottom pairing with an offensive guy. Having a bottom 3 consist of Edmundson, Lindbohm, Bortozzo, and Schmaltz seems pretty risky for Army.

Totally agree, hope Army don't do any bad decision.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I don't know why trading Shatty this offseason is such a guarantee to so many people. I can easily see the Blues keeping him at least until the deadline or even giving him another contract if say it makes more sense and you have a good offer for JBo.

Shatty has been great for this team. Disappoints me to see so many people write him off so easily.

I thought for sure many different times that Berglund would be gone. Even Backes a few times. Heck, it even made sense to trade Elliott or Allen a couple times in the past.

Just my opinions here. I wont be surprised if Shatty is a Blue opening day and in the playoffs next season.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I don't know why trading Shatty this offseason is such a guarantee to so many people. I can easily see the Blues keeping him at least until the deadline or even giving him another contract if say it makes more sense and you have a good offer for JBo.

Shatty has been great for this team. Disappoints me to see so many people write him off so easily.

I thought for sure many different times that Berglund would be gone. Even Backes a few times. Heck, it even made sense to trade Elliott or Allen a couple times in the past.

Just my opinions here. I wont be surprised if Shatty is a Blue opening day and in the playoffs next season.

Bolded: Don't hold your breath.

Upper @bleedblue1223 writed down team that really doesn't impress at all. I don't believe with that team has change for going playoffs.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Bolded: Don't hold your breath.

Upper @bleedblue1223 writed down team that really doesn't impress at all. I don't believe with that team has change for going playoffs.

We'll be fine. We are not losing many significant pieces, and that team was missing a key piece from the forward group, the return of a Shattenkirk trade or a player that was acquired with the money saved from Shattenkirk/Backes/Brouwer/Ott.

We are still a top team in the West.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Because there are a ton of signs pointing to it happening.

I now think Backes will be gone. He will get a pretty dumb contract in free agency. Will be interesting to see who we replace him with.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Teams have maximum flexibility now, and can trade futures assets (draft picks) which are more valuable to the Blues now. Its the most likely time for him to move. But yes, he could move later.

From a competitive standpoint it makes less sense for the team to make a big change mid-season, but it still may happen that way.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010

I think the fact that people wanted Shatty moved has more to do with Parayko playing amazing as a rookie, the presence of Schmaltz, and the cap more than Shatty's own performance.

I'd love for Shatty to spend the rest of his career in St. Louis. But the cap makes it very difficult for that to occur.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
We have to remember this is Hitch last year and he'll demand best possible roster on paper to get work out.

So hold on what will happend in this summer. :laugh:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Nothing army has said has signaled an "all in" approach.

I'm just assuming they're all-in now. Pointing Hitch last year and Blues 50th anniversary.

Not sure but didn't Stillman prefer something in his letter to fans, that they are going to push the limits (ALL-IN)?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm just assuming they're all-in now. Pointing Hitch last year and Blues 50th anniversary.

Not sure but didn't Stillman prefer something in his letter to fans, that they are going to push the limits (ALL-IN)?
I think that's more lip service. I don't think they'll blow it up by any means. A quick retool seems more reasonable. We can't bring back the roster we had. We don't have any elite talent young'ins in the system to step in. With Armstrong's ominous quotes about Backes, seems like he's walking. Brouwer is going to get overpaid, so I'd bet he walks. Maybe Upshall and Brodziak return?

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I agree that Shattenkirk has decent odds of starting the season as a Blue. Army certainly should consider trading him and get a feel for his value, but to meet team needs we likely need to move something of value, as there aren't any good centers available with just trading Shattenkirk.

Then again, if there's truth to his game going south due to worrying about being traded, it may work against us.

I think we see what teams offer at the draft and if we can't meet our team needs, we aim for the TDL or an extension to improve value.

Ultimately, I don't expect we explore FA options unless we can't resign Brodziak or we end up dealing Shattenkirk + a roster player.

Last edited:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I wouldn't write off Backes returning yet. It's not unusual when there's a gap between two parties to let the market help set the price, and that seems to be what's going to happen here. He'll get a feel for what sort of price (or, more accurately in this case, term) he commands, and then come back to the Blues and see if they can give him something reasonably close.

I think Backes is going to struggle to get the 5 or 6 years he's hoping for from someone else. If that's the case, or if he can only get it from someplace he doesn't want to go, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up returning to the Blues.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Because there are a ton of signs pointing to it happening.

I now think Backes will be gone. He will get a pretty dumb contract in free agency. Will be interesting to see who we replace him with.
I am not sure about signs pointing to it and I am not saying it cannot or will not happen. Just saying I can just as easily see them holding on to him for a bit. He is a great asset and trade chip to have. No need to rush getting rid of him. He was having a Norris kind of year not long ago before he got injured and missed a ton of games. He has some serious value. But who knows, if someone shows up with a good offer for JBo maybe you take that and keep Shatty?

I agree with Backes assessment.

Teams have maximum flexibility now, and can trade futures assets (draft picks) which are more valuable to the Blues now. Its the most likely time for him to move. But yes, he could move later.

From a competitive standpoint it makes less sense for the team to make a big change mid-season, but it still may happen that way.
Why does it make less sense from a competitive standpoint to make a trade deadline deal instead of an offseason move? Trades will often inspire guys to play their guts out and if done right you can get the right guy to fill a hole in your team and make you better. Look at the Pens the last two times they won the cup - coaching change halfway through the season. I am not saying big deadline deals or mid-season changes work all the time 100% of the time. Just saying they can help. Sometimes I think its better during the season to make the change because you know what you got and what other teams have.

I think the fact that people wanted Shatty moved has more to do with Parayko playing amazing as a rookie, the presence of Schmaltz, and the cap more than Shatty's own performance.

I'd love for Shatty to spend the rest of his career in St. Louis. But the cap makes it very difficult for that to occur.
Parayko has been pretty fantastic and I get that with the cap doesn't help but I just don't see the rush. Again I am not saying we should never trade him just saying I wont be surprised if we hold on to him.

Teams get desperate at the deadline - especially teams on the playoff bubble. You can really take advantage of that more than in the offseason.

Just my 2 cents.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
at $900,000. Nice deal. Love having Upshall back

Great news! I'd rather have him than any old low-cost 4th Liner. He skates well, plays his guts out all the time, plays 2-way hockey, stands up for his teammates, and can even score a decent amount. Great signing. Great value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad