Speculation: Free Agency Thread

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It totally is and a good one at that.

Fabbri is going to be a star. Colton is the Next Shea Weber. Blues scare the crap out of me.

I agree on your assessments of those two. I think considerably less of our forward group not named Schwartz/Tarasenko/Steen/Stastny.

Its definitely not as good as the team last year. They will sorely miss Backes and to a lesser extent Brouwer

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
We have taken a step back. We are not in a position to take a serious run this season. Not by a long shot.

That's assuming no one replaces Backes' role, which remains to be seen. And I'm skeptical on Jaskin doing that right now if no one else is brought in, but we'll see.

I think Perron's fine as a replacement for Brouwer and his regular season production won't be missed.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Just looked at Detroit's roster and with the 2 UFA signings they now have 15/16 NHL forwards. I think they are going to be the destination for Shattenkirk, as long as he is willing to sign and extension with them. They would have to move someone back at a similar salary to Shatty (Nyquist $4.75/yr) to make a deal work and wouldn't be able to take contract like Bergy back. I would like to see Nyquist + 2017 1st or Nyquist + Svechnikov. Then I think the Blues look to dump Berglund for a draft pick. Not sure if Detroit would consider this, but I don't think they could get Fowler for this type of return.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
If nothing more happens it's been a bad off-season. Swapping out Backes and Brouwer for Perron is borderline disaster.

If Shattenkirk goes for an NHL quality scoring RW things will be okay.

Oshie trade was basically a giveaway although Brouwer did help make a WC finals run. Shows the risk of trading for a vet with one-year contract.

Sure hope Jaskin and Rattie are ready for prime time.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Just looked at Detroit's roster and with the 2 UFA signings they now have 15/16 NHL forwards. I think they are going to be the destination for Shattenkirk, as long as he is willing to sign and extension with them. They would have to move someone back at a similar salary to Shatty (Nyquist $4.75/yr) to make a deal work and wouldn't be able to take contract like Bergy back. I would like to see Nyquist + 2017 1st or Nyquist + Svechnikov. Then I think the Blues look to dump Berglund for a draft pick. Not sure if Detroit would consider this, but I don't think they could get Fowler for this type of return.

That doesn't get Shattenkirk just for 1 year. If they are wanting him with an agreed extension, that offer gets laughed at.

Boston are still the favourites here.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaz View Post
That doesn't get Shattenkirk just for 1 year. If they are wanting him with an agreed extension, that offer gets laughed at.

Who would you want with Nyquist if Shattenkirk signs and extension? Mantha? Athanasiou? Maybe two of their top prospects?

What can Boston offer that would be better?

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
If nothing more happens it's been a bad off-season. Swapping out Backes and Brouwer for Perron is borderline disaster.

If Shattenkirk goes for an NHL quality scoring RW things will be okay.

Oshie trade was basically a giveaway although Brouwer did help make a WC finals run. Shows the risk of trading for a vet with one-year contract.

Sure hope Jaskin and Rattie are ready for prime time.

Summer is still early. Can't expect this lineup to stay put for now. Also, neither Jaskin or Rattie are our saving grace anyways

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
I guess if Boston would offer Pasternak for Shattenkirk, that would work, but Sweeny has already stated that they aren't trading Pasternak. I don't see much else from Boston that would excite me for Shatty.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I guess if Boston would offer Pasternak for Shattenkirk, that would work, but Sweeny has already stated that they aren't trading Pasternak. I don't see much else from Boston that would excite me for Shatty.

Bergervin said he isn't trading Subban. That worked out....

Anything is possible.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Boston is loaded at center now so they could definitely make a deal, but now acquiring Spooner makes even less sense than it did a week ago.

I think there will be suitors for Shattenkirk, but now it looks like the Rangers have the best pieces to offer and I'm not even sure they'll be in the race (?). The other teams don't impress me with a whole lot.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Who would you want with Nyquist if Shattenkirk signs and extension? Mantha? Athanasiou? Maybe two of their top prospects?

What can Boston offer that would be better?

Nyquist had a ~40 point year, and has seen his numbers (& shooting percentage) fall ever since he broke out. Then he disappears in the playoffs, 4-4-8 in 35 games, or 2-1-3 in the last 3 years (17 games).

He has speed, but when he isn't scoring he isn't contributing. If he was solid defensively, it wouldn't be a big issue.

I'd be wanting Tatar, Svechnikov ++ for Shattenkirk with an extension.

Boston have Krejčí. I doubt they would do Pastrňák & Colin Miller. I say they are favourites because I think they are going to be most willing to pay the steepest price. Detroit are always too committed to what they have.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
With Boston landing Backes, Spooner has to be on the way out, we Need to find a way to make that happen.

There's still so much left up in the air with Sobotka and Shattenkirk. If we can grab Spooner as a 2C, let Lehtera play 1C, and have Stastny as our shutdown... Maybe we even consider trading Steen if w can't get an extension done?

Steen Lehtera Tarasenko
Schwartz Stastny Fabbri
Jaskin Spooner Perron
Sobotka brodziak Upshall

Bouwmeester Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson Shattenkirk
Edmundson Parayko

Allen
Hutton

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
With Boston landing Backes, Spooner has to be on the way out, we Need to find a way to make that happen.

There's still so much left up in the air with Sobotka and Shattenkirk. If we can grab Spooner as a 2C, let Lehtera play 1C, and have Stastny as our shutdown... Maybe we even consider trading Steen if w can't get an extension done?

Steen Lehtera Tarasenko
Schwartz Stastny Fabbri
Jaskin Spooner Perron
Sobotka brodziak Upshall

Bouwmeester Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson Shattenkirk
Edmundson Parayko

Allen
Hutton

We wouldn't be interested in Spooner as a main piece for Shattenkirk. We have had interest, but it was based around Eriksson and Spooner.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL

Steen Lehtera Tarasenko
Schwartz Stastny Fabbri
Jaskin Spooner Perron
Sobotka brodziak Upshall

Bouwmeester Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson Shattenkirk
Edmundson Parayko

Allen
Hutton

That is one small, soft forward group

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
On another note, after seeing Brouwer and Backes leave and no FA signed to replace Backes, Hitch having a swan song next season seems really weird.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't think they do either. I can't see them affording Shattenkirk anyway.

Which is why they'd need to move someone like Krejčí out, clears salary for Shattenkirk. Bergeron, Backes and Spooner down the middle.

Not that I expect it, but I can absolutely see it happening. Particularly with the decision to buy out Seidenberg.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

Boston are still the favourites here.

At this point I'll be shocked if Shattenkirk is not on the roster for opening day with the Blues. As utterly stupid as that sounds after watching this farce of a management cluster **** this off season up that is what I expect. Army basically said Shattenkirk will play his final year as a Blue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad