GDT: Free Agency Nonsense Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If gropp ends up to be like cody eakin, that would be a huge disappointment. Come on now. They had this guy rated as the number 6 forward in the draft.

Seems rather ambitious from the Rangers to have Gropp rated at #6.

FWIW - Eakin was a .88 point per game in his draft year in the WHL. Gropp was a .87 point per game player in his draft year in the WHL.

Eakin was heralded for his two way play. Gropp his heralded for his two-way play.

Gropp has size on Eakin. But if Gropp becomes a 20-20 guy at the NHL level while providing good hockey sense, two-way play, etc... (like Eakin), I believe Rangers brass would be more than happy with that.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Bergeon? Gropp is a LW, not a center, and his NHL comparables are Jamie Benn or James Neal. We'd be lucky if he develops into a solid second-line sniper. Bergeon is the best all-around center in the NHL, so let's slow it down a bit before we start comparing prospects to him.

Yeah, let's not compare him to the best all around center in the NHL, but compare him to an Art Ross winner and one of the league's best shooters...

HFNYR, you are weird today.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
If gropp ends up to be like cody eakin, that would be a huge disappointment. Come on now. They had this guy rated as the number 6 forward in the draft.

It's not like the Rangers always hit their high picks out of the window... i.e., McIlrath.

And while I'm not a scout in the least, if they actually had him ranked as the 6th best forward in this draft, I'd be concerned. He's not a better prospect than: McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Strome, Barzal, Zacha, etc. If you expect him to be that good, of course you are going to be disappointed.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
No. A bad pick is when you pick a big Dman with no potential over two highly talented players.

Sanguinetti was projected to go high and Giroux was a nobody. It just didn't work out.

by that logic, Datsyuk and Hank weren't good picks, they just happened to turn out to be superstars

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah, let's not compare him to the best all around center in the NHL, but compare him to an Art Ross winner and one of the league's best shooters...

Haha woops, meant to say his playing style is comparable to, not the actual skillset

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Seems rather ambitious from the Rangers to have Gropp rated at #6.

FWIW - Eakin was a .88 point per game in his draft year in the WHL. Gropp was a .87 point per game player in his draft year in the WHL.

Eakin was heralded for his two way play. Gropp his heralded for his two-way play.

Gropp has size on Eakin. But if Gropp becomes a 20-20 guy at the NHL level while providing good hockey sense, two-way play, etc... (like Eakin), I believe Rangers brass would be more than happy with that.

I think a good comparison is Brock Nelson. Big bodied player. Nelson to me projects as a winger not a center. Good shot. Solid on both ends. Nelson was the last pick in the first round, Gropp was a high 2nd rounder. Nelson might project to be a better point producer, but I see the comparison here.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
this thread is off the rails.

gropp
tarasenko
jessiman
sanguineti
messier
datsyuk
mcilrath
bergeron
francis

and hit and run drivers

lololo

this place :laugh:

NJRangers35

Apr 11, 2011
The Rangers might have. No one else did. Rangers also thought McIlrath was a top 10 player in 2010.

And Anthony Duclair went in the 3rd round and people were saying he was untouchable last year. So because of the McIlrath pick we are going to write off their scouting reports? That is ridiculous.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

you said:

Sanguinetti wasn't a bad pick though. He just happened to bust.

Draft acumen is determined by how well draft picks work out. Period (Save for extenuating circumstances i.e. Cherapanov)

If we can chalk the Sanguinetti pick up to being unlucky, then we can say that the Hank pick was just luck.

I just looked at my post and realized my wording was a bit odd

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
you said:

Draft acumen is determined by how well draft picks work out. Period (Save for extenuating circumstances i.e. Cherapanov)

If we can chalk the Sanguinetti pick up to being unlucky, then we can say that the Hank pick was just luck.

I just looked at my post and realized my wording was a bit odd

Hank was just luck. The best goalie of this era fell from the sky into this incompetent management's laps and they still weren't able to do ****.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013

Wasnt that Art Ross winner a 5th round pick? Anything is possible..

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
61-16-36
20-21-10
Etem-13-19
Glass/Stalberg-28-Lindberg/Gibbons

This could very well be the forward group going into G1 of this season. Dat bottom 6 is kind of ugly. Did Stepan electing for arb. decrease the chance NYR sign someone?

Obviously, Semin/Boyes on a 1-1.5/1 year deal would be nice. Despite Klein still being an asset, I would move him with the caveat that the receiving team also takes on Glass, you free up 4.35 right there.

In the perfect world, you move Klein/Glass for a 3rd/4th and sign Semin to 1.5/1 yrs.
4.35 - 1.5 = 2.85 gain in the cap we already have. That should be enough to hopefully take care of Stepan (6-6.5 at most) and other RFA'ing the team has to do?

61-16-36
20-21-Semin
Etem-13-10
Stalberg-Moore-Fast/Lindberg

27-5
18-22
93-McIlrath/Diaz

Feasible? Make sense?

This thread running wild. I will quote what I said before to try and get on track.

Kklein could probably fetch 2nd/3rd + on his own. He is a great #5 and good #4 with a friendly cap hit. Does it make sense to move him for a 4th/5th just to rid the existence of Glass as a NYR? What teams potential takers?

Then, you hopefully have room for Semin/Scoring UFA and all your RFA's.

Stalberg should be on the 4th line on this team, he's not that good a offensive hockey player. Someone said it perfect, fast and dumb, put him out against slow 4th liners and hopefully he can bring back scoring to our 4th line...Tanner Glass anchored it so badly.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
This. Stalberg isn't a top6 NHL player. I really don't know how people can't see this after watching him play.

I don't even want him in our top9. We were the best scoring team last year and I want to keep it that way. 3rd line should be Etem-Hayes-Semin/Boyes/Scoring UFA

Yes.
I'm on the RW Hayes bandwagon myself in wanting to see a line of Krieder-Stepan-Hayes. And giving a 3rd line of Fast-Lindberg-Miller and a 4th line of Etem-Moore-Stalberg can do out of camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad