GDT: Free Agency Frenzy is here - NHLN coverage starts 11 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
For people that say they can live without jvr for that money. Well guess then the devils are going to be a homegrown team because everyone that goes to ufa is going to be “overpaid” so not sure where everyone’s mind is

there arent many big name UFA signings on the last few Cup champion teams. Cup winners are built on drafting and smart trading these days

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Potential trade partners, like how we've acquired our better veteran forwards over the last 3 years. UFA isn't the only way to bring guys in.

Here’s a question.

Would you be fine with ray trading picks to get guys or sign them for free and keep the picks

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 18s18 seconds ago
More
Action picking up on Erik Karlsson trade talks in OTT. Some with teams prepared to take Bobby Ryan but some with teams not taking Ryan.

Hmmmm......Devs can afford Ryan's salary. Hmmmmm....

Theoretically sure but you're talking about if you re-sign Karlsson you have like $18-19 million locked in under the cap for the next three years and if you don't re-sign him you just have Ryan on a stupid contract the next three years.

I actually get the feeling he's going to Vegas which would be one heck of a troll move for them.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Here’s a question.

Would you be fine with ray trading picks to get guys or sign them for free and keep the picks

Free is a misnomer...trading for them at least you see them with your team before you have to sign them to a big deal, case in point Grabner. God forbid we didn't trade for him then wound up giving him some long-term deal today since he fits the 'prototype' we'd likely just be stuck with a dog the next few years.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Oh good lord, is the number of interested going to get into double digits?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Here’s a question.

It's always going to end up depending on the situation and the player(s) involved. If we can turn picks into cost-controlled players as we have with Palmieri and Johansson or find a way to upgrade in a hockey deal like we have with Hall and Vatanen, I think it's the more sound approach than throwing money at the UFA market where guys tend to be overpaid and contracts don't age well.

That said, I think I would have been fine with JVR at that price at 5 years. $7 mil seems a bit steep, but it's actually fairly reasonable for a guy like him who's coming off another 30 goal season.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Bobby Ryan at 7.25 for the next four seasons is not very appealing. His last two seasons have been dreadful although he did have a nice 2017 playoff run.

Also, Ryan has a 10 team no trade clause. I wonder which teams make up the 10.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
would karlsson even fit our team?

In what context? Not only would he be a 1LD we'd sorely need he's one of the two or three best D's in the league and we have the cap to afford a long-term deal with him. The only reservation is if you trade for him you get stuck with the bag if he walks, especially if you take Ryan back as well.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Rad Dude83

Jun 23, 2013
Jersey
In what context? Not only would he be a 1LD we'd sorely need he's one of the two or three best D's in the league and we have the cap to afford a long-term deal with him. The only reservation is if you trade for him you get stuck with the bag if he walks, especially if you take Ryan back as well.
I was just messin around. he does look good in red though. but common sense tells me gryba is our big signing of the day. and the trade for ek would be something we shouldn't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad