Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wrong. His max performance bonuses this year was 1.85M.

850k is max for schedule A for Sanderson. The other 1M is for schedule B, which he did not hit.

• Performance Bonuses are broken into 2 categories: Schedule A and Schedule B
    • Schedule A Bonuses may not exceed $250,000 ($212,500 prior to 2022) per individual bonus, and $1,000,000 in total ($850,000 prior to 2022).
    • There are two types of Schedule B Bonuses:
      • League-wide award/trophy bonuses that are paid by the league (these do not count against the salary cap if earned)
      • Player and club agreed upon bonuses, of which the maximum is $2,500,000 per season ($2,000,000 prior to 2022), which do count against the salary cap if earned.

Last edited:

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I often read on this forum about how bad the Zibanajad trade was. IMO the Stone trade hurt us more. He would have been worth the ask.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I often read on this forum about how bad the Zibanajad trade was. IMO the Stone trade hurt us more. He would have been worth the ask.

Keeping Stone would have changed the complexion of the rebuild but Melnyk wasn't prepared to give him franchise player terms, Vegas was.

If I recall, our contract offer was something like 5 years 10.5 million with signing bonuses, but it did not have a NMC. That means the Senators who clearly were cutting cash would have had incentive to trade him later had be signed that.

The biggest misstep was probably not going long term on his previous bridge contract if he was willing to do so at the time. Based on who Stone's agent is, I would guess it was a mix of Stone betting on himself, and the team favouring a bridge to save cash and prepare for the eventually sell off of all the talent.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
850k is max for schedule A for Sanderson. The other 1M is for schedule B, which he did not hit.

• Schedule A Bonuses may not exceed $250,000 ($212,500 prior to 2022) per individual bonus, and $1,000,000 in total ($850,000 prior to 2022).
      • League-wide award/trophy bonuses that are paid by the league (these do not count against the salary cap if earned)
      • Player and club agreed upon bonuses, of which the maximum is $2,500,000 per season ($2,000,000 prior to 2022), which do count against the salary cap if earned.
Regardless he was 1 point away from another 212K

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

It might have hurt us more but at least it wasn't a complete own-goal like the Zibanejad trade.

After the team went the rebuilding route Stone was a goner and we had to trade him.

Selling low on a raw talent like Zibanejad to buy high on Brassard was just dumb.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well, imo, the Zibanejad trade was just incredibly misguided, both in value in return and thinking it was wise in the 1st place, whereas the Stone trade was from having a guy that didn't want to sign up for their shit show and they took table scraps in return. But trading away your #1 center for the next decade plus is a rreal good way to expedite the need to rebuild in the first place.

Take away the Zbad trade and work with short term bad money instead of taking on Phaneuf and maybe things look different on the need to rebuild and guys wanting to leave. Probably doesn't matter wither way with Scrooge McDuck running the show, but interesting to think about.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Looks like we have a 850K overage carrying into next season according to CapFriendly.
I wonder how that works, we had a final cap space of 16,437 which is have assumed any overages would have gone against first, not that it would make a significant dent.

What annoys me is that had we not retained on Tank, it would have covered just about all the overage, still can't believe we needed to retain to get a 3rd.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Nah, 850K is the max for his schedule A bonuses.

1 million max I believe as he signed in 2022 when they increased it from 212.5 to 250k for each. Unless it had to be after July 1 in 2022.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I wonder how that works, we had a final cap space of 16,437 which is have assumed any overages would have gone against first, not that it would make a significant dent.

What annoys me is that had we not retained on Tank, it would have covered just about all the overage, still can't believe we needed to retain to get a 3rd.

That's pretty crazy. Thought the deal was bad enough as is.

Pretty significant cost for doing a favour for a mercenary with no history with this franchise.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I think the 16,437 means we could add a 16437 dollar player prorated to 1 day.

Dorion screwed us. The only way we could move Tarasenko was retaining.

That's pretty crazy. Thought the deal was bad enough as is.

Pretty significant cost for doing a favour for a mercenary with no history with this franchise.
The cost of not trading him would have been no better.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Think it has something to do with the LTIR space that was used. Don’t know how much no retention would have made a difference.

1 million max I believe as he signed in 2022 when they increased it from 212.5 to 250k for each. Unless it had to be after July 1 in 2022.

It’s either July 1,2022 or the 2022 draft class and after. Based on the number being 850k Sanderson hit four bonuses which is the max. The difference between 1M and 850k is that each bonus is 250k vs 212k. Him having a 925k total salary rather than 950k is also a good indicator that those increased ELC numbers don’t apply to him. 5th overall would be getting max total salary, especially to come out of college.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Think it has something to do with the LTIR space that was used. Don’t know how much no retention would have made a difference.

It’s either July 1,2022 or the 2022 draft class and after. Based on the number being 850k Sanderson hit four bonuses which is the max. The difference between 1M and 850k is that each bonus is 250k vs 212k. Him having a 925k total salary rather than 950k is also a good indicator that those increased ELC numbers don’t apply to him. 5th overall would be getting max total salary, especially to come out of college.
He obviously has negotiated some B bonuses as well.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He obviously has negotiated some B bonuses as well.

Yes his total for performance bonuses was 1.85m. 850K schedule A, 1M schedule B.

Here is a breakdown that is perhaps a little clearer.

Last edited:
Reactions: GCK

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Also would have helped if we didn’t have Dorion and traded stone when it was appropriate. Montreal got more for oaccioretty from Vegas than we did for stone.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Also would have helped if we didn’t have Dorion and traded stone when it was appropriate. Montreal got more for oaccioretty from Vegas than we did for stone.

Tkachuk wasn't going to sign if we tore down the team. They also were losing the season ticket base and thought if they misrepresented the selloff as a retool it might help. They already traded Karlsson that summer.

That's why Stone, and Duchene were kept and they also traded Hoffman for a top 6 forward in Boedker (lol).

• Haha
Reactions: Loach

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Tkachuk wasn't going to sign if we tore down the team. They also were losing the season ticket base and thought if they misrepresented the selloff as a retool it might help. They already traded Karlsson that summer.

That's why Stone, and Duchene were kept and they also traded Hoffman for a top 6 forward in Boedker (lol).
Tkatchuk? Like signed his ELC?
Yes he would have. Why did he sign an extension? After signed his ELC and then us trading stone from under him lol. He could have demanded a trade right there and then.

He didn’t keep that as some sort of chess move to get tkatchuk to sign his ELC. Tkatchuk would have been even more offended if that was the reason and then those pieces are immediately moved?

Dorion thought we could play. Plain and simple. He’s bad.

Same guy who tries to take us to the next level with Matt Murray Derek Stepan Dadanov and Erik Gudbrnasson.,..

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Bad owner + Bad GM = Bad situation.

I’m hopeful since there is now some professionalism in place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad