Salary Cap: Free Agency Doldrums - Part VII | Taters Signs Rehab Contract with Pens. e6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
New numbers for new #Pens:
Thomas Greiss, 1
Christian Ehrhoff, 10
Nick Spaling, 13
Blake Comeau, 17
Steve Downie, 23
Patric Hornqvist, 72

I didn't want Hornqvist to wear 27, because I feel like that number would just be bad luck.

But it does kind of bother me that he's 72. Maybe it shouldn't, but I liked that whenever the team was put in numerical order Sid and Geno were next to each other.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I didn't want Hornqvist to wear 27, because I feel like that number would just be bad luck.

But it does kind of bother me that he's 72. Maybe it shouldn't, but I liked that whenever the team was put in numerical order Sid and Geno were next to each other.

I'm more concerned that he took #72 because #27 is still owned by someone on the roster. :shakehead

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That's more rationalization, Rip. Kulemin's agent never once said that they were a package deal, only that it was a priority. I'm sure playing with a friend was a priority, along with money, a quality team etc. We had all three, but balked at providing the most important.

If you honestly think Kulemin would have picked playing with one friend on the Islanders or another with the Penguins - all other things being equal - I don't know what to tell you.

But, according to agent Gary Greenstin, the early discussion is that they would like to sign with the same team if possible
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014...ovski-could-be-a-package-deal-in-free-agency/

I'm not denying that we wanted Kulemin, or that he was a realistic target. But it didn't happen. We don't know if that's from a lack of interest (and thus an underwhelming offer) from JR, or if Kulemin simply decided in the end to take the money and go play with Grabovski. We can make assumptions... but that's all they are. Unless someone comes out and says JR offered Y, and Kulemin wanted X, and thus decided to go to Long Island instead of here, we're stuck guessing.

I think that if you told most Pens fans before the fact that the return for Neal would be Hornqvist and a Spaling, they'd have laughed in your face.

When Neal was with Malkin he scored a lot, regular season or playoffs (a few games at the start of the last playoffs notwithstanding). When he wasn't, he didn't. The regular season/playoffs narrative with Neal is off-base, and Hornqvist hasn't shown anything to suggest he's better when it counts. That's really just what we're all crossing our fingers and hoping for to justify the deal.

Neal is a very good shooter. However, even before this year, while he would put up points, it all came in bunches (even discarding his first playoffs here). Thats fine, and I'm not trying to take anything away from that... but if he wasn't scoring, he frequently looked invisible. Game 4 (I think it was 4) against the Rangers, he was a beast. He forechecked, hit, and was skating. He looked amazing. Yet only had 1 assist and was +1 with 2 shots on net. But he was skating - something he frequently hasn't done over the years. Which is not the same as saying he didn't produce - because points per game wise, he did. Hornqvist on the other hand will still make an impact when he's not scoring.

Ehrhoff was good value. Would he make us a better team than Kulemin would if the right scoring wing isn't acquired between now and October? I doubt it.

Depends. Ehrhoff is a true PPQB, which is something we haven't had since Gonchar was here. IF Martin really won't sign an extension, and Ehrhoff would, then he could replace Martin, and allow us to trade him. Ehrhoff/JR hinted that it would be something they'd look at in the future depending on how things panned out (cap/fit/etc).

Would I rather have had Kulemin? I don't know. I never gave it a ton of thought (getting Ehrhoff), as it wasn't something I'd thought was realistic. Sure the move on it's own (regardless of the value) seems odd in the sense we have a ton of D, and are really weak up front - regardless of the depth JR signed.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Yeah... I also find it funny that they apparently couldn't make Craig ****ing Adams give Hornqvist the number. Not good.

We can still hope that 27 will be available by the time the regular season starts.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I swear, people here forget that the #1 goal is to win a cup. If we can get a top-6 winger for him, we should definitely do the trade. However, trading him for futures because of asset management is stupid. If we can get something to help our roster now, it would be a great idea. If we're getting futures, it's stupid.

Either way, Scuderi should be dumped now.

Define "futures". If you're talking about a meh prospect (or one that's 3+ yrs off) and a 1st, I agree completely. However if you're talking about a young guy (Tatar, Nino, Coyle, Jurco+, etc) then I'd disagree. IF Martin doesn't want to sign, AND you can get a quality return with players who are close to being NHL ready (aka they're NHL ready but might not be making a big impact this year), then I think you have to do that.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's very possible Johnston's expectations are even worse for Scuds. Dan wanted the D moving the puck quickly. He didn't seem to care how accurately you moved it.

Johnston's made it a point to say banking the puck off the glass instead of making an intelligent play to an open outlet is something that he views as completely unacceptable. On his best day, Scuds couldn't really do what Johnston's asking. It's not Scuds' best day.

Maybe he has something left, maybe he doesn't. Regardless, I'm pretty confident he will fail miserably if he stays here.

Sometimes there isnt' an intelligent low risk play, and banking it off the glass is the best play.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
Yeah... I also find it funny that they apparently couldn't make Craig ****ing Adams give Hornqvist the number. Not good.

Remember when Kovalev had to change his number because Craig Adams?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So Preds get Volchenkov for a 1 year and we couldn't do that? Defensive D, shot blocker, grit, tough. Instead we get Ehrhoff and I am suppose to believe that makes us a better defensive team with his -32 last season :lol:

Odd... seeing how he was only -27. 3 other D were -29, -21, -26 and 2 forwards were -26 and -25. Its one thing if the rest of the team is half ass decent (+/-) but when the team sucks, and is brutal defensively, it's hard to single one guy out.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Sometimes there isnt' an intelligent low risk play, and banking it off the glass is the best play.

Johnston explicitly doesn't want "low risk" plays to be made by the D.

• Defense needs to look for the smart play
• Allow passes to the front of the net or through the middle
• Discourage the “dump out†or “no look rim†style of play
• Safe plays stifle creativity

But don't correct me if you don't like any of this. It's not my plan.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Johnston explicitly doesn't want "low risk" plays to be made by the D.

But don't correct me if you don't like any of this. It's not my plan.

There is a difference between having some guidlines (such as those above). But with someone like Scuder or even Bortuzzo, you don't want them making a high risk play across the front of the net in a tight game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA