GDT: Free Agency Day! Wednesday July 13th 2022 Noon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Aww yea!!!

Should be a fun one with all the guys who will be testing the market.

Geaudreau, Kadri, Malkin, Klingberg, Palat.

Also, will we get the announcement of this famous trade that was done at the draft but can't be announced yet?

Reactions: SwiftyHab

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hopefully Petry is gone today and we stay away from Kilngberg's overpayment also just wait and sign Dubois if you really have to have him

Aww yea!!!

Also, will we get the announcement of this famous trade that was done at the draft but can't be announced yet?
Malkin signed in Pittsburgh

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Of course I value Dubois over Dvorak but some Jets fans are saying Dvorak is negative value at $4.45M. Well imagine what value Dubois is at $8M when his career numbers are 54 pts and 23 goals. Ignoring things past points and goals is the stupid part and it applies to both players. Both play solid 200' games but yeah, one is worth more than the other. Adding Dach on top is a fair offer and the Jets need center depth. Especially with Scheifele 2 years away from UFA.

Career:
Dvorak:
0.5 pts/game (0.22 goals/game)
Dubois: 0.66 pts/game (0.28 goals/game)

Last two Seasons:
Dvorak:
0.57 pts/game (0.25 goals/game)
Dubois: 0.66 pts/game (0.29 goals/game)

Difference in points/goal production over the last two years is 7 pts and 3 goals. And they got the nerve to say Dvorak is a negative contract. Comical

In fact, the Dvorak and Dach offer might be too much. Maybe a Dvorak, Kidney, and Struble offer is as far as we go. Hard to say.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Of course I value Dubois over Dvorak but some Jets fans are saying Dvorak is negative value at $4.45M. Well imagine what value Dubois is at $8M when his career numbers are 54 pts and 23 goals. Ignoring things past points and goals is the stupid part and it applies to both players. Both play solid 200' games but yeah, one is worth more than the other. Adding Dach on top is a fair offer and the Jets need center depth. Especially with Scheifele 2 years away from UFA.

Career:
Dvorak:
0.5 pts/game (0.22 goals/game)
Dubois: 0.66 pts/game (0.28 goals/game)

Last two Seasons:
Dvorak:
0.57 pts/game (0.25 goals/game)
Dubois: 0.66 pts/game (0.29 goals/game)
I don't mind them not wanting Dvorak, but this whole "negative value" is of course pure idiocy.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Not that I’m really expecting anything Habs-wise today in terms of UFA (no cap space and it’d be for the best to stay away from many of these guys anyways) I’d still like to see some contracts moved out.

Not sure how productive I’ll be at work today..

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed. Tank for Bedard and clear cap space. Then only think about climbing up the standings.

We all would love to get Bedard but winning back to back lotteries is rare and this Habs roster will be better than last year. Lots of factors involved...

* MSL for a full season
* Price plays more than 5 games
* We likely don't have as many injuries. Almost broke records last year
* Long off season for players to train and rebound.
* Better energy heading into the season with less expectations.

If you follow Gorton and Hughes narratives, the plan is not to tank. Fans want it but I see a pick from 8-12 range. Not impossible for us to have a top 5 pick but I think this roster with rising youth gains momentum.

Habs fan base is getting emotionally attached to Bedard. I'd love it but we are just not in the same situation as the Coyotes. Last season was a disaster not a good team but still a disaster that lead to us finishing last. They were deflated by the KK offer sheet, Price/Weber injury, and Danault walking.

RationalExpecations ;)

Last edited:

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Expect petry gone today, à couple offers to mid level free agents nothing too serious. Don't expect a Dubois trade. Jets gm doesn't work this way.
Agreed, all this Dubois chatter is to let him know we’re interested so that when he is a free agent he’ll know we want him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Expect petry gone today, à couple offers to mid level free agents nothing too serious. Don't expect a Dubois trade. Jets gm doesn't work this way.

The longer the Jets GM waits, the less cap space there is from across the NHL. What teams in the bottom 1/3 with cap space will trade youth for Dubois and then sign him for $8M when it's likely he forces his way to UFA with their team too?

Jets have very little leverage here with Dubois. If they wait too long, Hughes might say, I had to make other plans and our previous offer is no longer on the table due to our available cap space.

Last option for the Jets? Sign him for 1 year and hope things change in that year? That might be their play

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The longer the Jets GM waits, the less cap space there is from across the NHL. What teams in the bottom 1/3 with cap space will trade youth for Dubois and then sign him for $8M when it's likely he forces his way to UFA with their team too?

Jets have very little leverage here with Dubois. If they wait too long, Hughes might say, I had to make other plans and our previous offer is no longer on the table due to our available cap space.

Last option for the Jets? Sign him for 1 year and hope things change in that year? That might be their play
Law of diminishing returns, longer Jets wait to deal PLD, the closer he gets to UFA status, and lower the return

Reactions: Habs Halifax

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Let's see how HuGo does.

They have big shoes to fill after years of us being spoiled by the excellent wheelings and dealings from the Maestro.

I have full confidence they can replicate his magistral work.

• Haha
Reactions: atrud66

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't mind them not wanting Dvorak, but this whole "negative value" is of course pure idiocy.

Agreed. I actually would like it if our centers were Suzuki/Dubois/Dvorak/Evans. That's very solid!

Dubois is a career 54 pts and 23 goal center. Difference between Dvorak and Dubois over the last two years is 7 pts and 3 goals. Go figure eh.

Jets fans hate the Habs. Most of them anyways. There is a trend on HF boards. I value what some of them say but most of them can go pound sand.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
First things first, get some legitimate cap space.

Not sure if we will take back a 1/2 year contract around $1M or retain $1M on Petry. But we will get around $5.25M of cap space in the Petry trade regardless IMO. Dach will get around $2.5M max IMO.

Imagine if Hughes signs Subban as the RD vet replacement for Petry? :scared:

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Not sure if we will take back a 1/2 year contract around $1M or retain $1M on Petry. But we will get around $5.25M of cap space in the Petry trade regardless IMO. Dach will get around $2.5M max IMO.

In my opinion, it will rather be something like a 3/4m contract coming back with 1/2 year term, teams don't dump 1m players usually

I think Subban back to MTL is a real possibility in terms of PR move. I would not like it or mind it in a rebuilding team.

I couldn’t picture Malkin in another jersey.

Penguins will be declining soon and these contracts are going to age real bad.

Well in 3 years Letang and Malkin on LTIR, PIT tanks, gets a new crosby and contends for 15 years after that ;) All according to the plan.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Aww yea!!!

Two forwards ages 29 and 31 who had ridiculously above normal single seasons after 7 /11 seasons establishing much lower Production as their norms. Amongst all NHLers, Gaudreau is 10th in scoring over the last 4 years and Kadri is 69th, just behind Mike Hoffman.

A third forward, Palat who is a good complementary player averaging 56 points per 82 games (52 the last 4 years) and is 31 years old. The past 4 seasons he has been 111th in league scoring, 8 spots behind Philip Danault.

Klingberg is a 30 year old defenceman with 160 points the last four seasons (249 gp) whose defensive game got worse every year. Not a top tier player anymore. He has not had a single vote for the Norris Trophy the last 4 seasons (18-23 guys per year get votes). To put that in context, Jeff Petry has had a 13th and an 18th Norris finishes, has 155 points in 279 games and has been on the ice for fewer goals against even though he has been on a worse team. In his favor, Klingberg is younger but if he is considered the best of the D UFA crop, it is not that impressive.

This free agent season is a lot ado about not much.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I couldn’t picture Malkin in another jersey.

Penguins will be declining soon and these contracts are going to age real bad.

Then they'll get the 1st overall in a random year when a super prodigy is available. It's their style.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

Yep, just what we need: an expensive defenceman who is slower than Savard.

Reactions: angusyoung
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino