Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Justin Braun and Tyler Myers should be on the cheaper end and would be good experiments with Rielly.
I was really hoping we'd get a guy like Braun or Hjalmarsson at the trade deadline. If we could pick one up in the off-season to bolster our D, I'd be thrilled.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
He has had 3 shoulder dislocations I think. Left shot but had Played right (don’t know how much). He won’t be insurable which would help the leafs I would guess as money isn’t an issue if he gets ltir.

I would be down for him if his shoulder could hold up like at all.

Shoulders are always a worry, because once you really screw them up, they can nag. If he doesn't command more than 5 million per, I think he's a solid chance to take.

I like Carlson, but for the money he'll command after this year, he's just not gonna line up with paying the 3 youngsters and filling out the rest of the squad moving forward.

Rielly De Haan
Gards Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey

That's a better defense core by a good bit. Hainsey is a placeholder until Lilly is ready to make the jump. Or Borgman.... or Rosen.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I’d lose a lot of respect for Lou and Shanahan to see him in a blue and white jersey

why?
yes. Voynov did an incredibly heinous thing (I don't know if it's allegedly or whatever because i didn't track everything). however you don't know if he did therapy or anything re-hab esque (stuff i'd imagine any team (including LA) would see if he was truly repentant). but everyone has some skeletons in their closet and just because Voynov's was against his wife (and everyone knows about it) doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a second chance if he' gone through the process of redemption.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
why?
yes. Voynov did an incredibly heinous thing (I don't know if it's allegedly or whatever because i didn't track everything). however you don't know if he did therapy or anything re-hab esque (stuff i'd imagine any team (including LA) would see if he was truly repentant). but everyone has some skeletons in their closet and just because Voynov's was against his wife (and everyone knows about it) doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a second chance if he' gone through the process of redemption.

he kicked his wife numerous times while she was on the ground, at least that what I read. He was charged with a prison sentence, then immigration took him in. He can have his second chance on 30 other teams thanks

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Zaitsev wasn't a known quantity like Voynov is. Not arguing for Voynov or trying to diminish how bad what he did was though. On the ice he would solve an obvious problem for us, so I was just trying to take the temperature on what people thought
no I understand what you are saying and this is only IMO of course I just do not want a POS. You may find majority of leaf fans may want him, I personally want nothing to do with him

Call me a piece of **** if you want but I'd be willing to take Voynov on

He did a ***** thing and I'm not trying to downplay that but if he makes our team better (which he would) and you can get assurances he's not going to do it again I think he's worth the risk

I don't have to go in front of the fans and explain why I'm bringing a noted women beater on board however

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

He did a ***** thing and I'm not trying to downplay that but if he makes our team better (which he would) and you can get assurances he's not going to do it again I think he's worth the risk

I don't have to go in front of the fans and explain why I'm bringing a noted women beater on board however
I thought there would be some of this opinion out there. I wouldn't want a big commitment to him, but if he looks like an instant fix for us I'd be willing to give it a shot too. Especially if he was showing that he was apologetic for his actions, not sure if he was at the time or not

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I thought there would be some of this opinion out there. I wouldn't want a big commitment to him, but if he looks like an instant fix for us I'd be willing to give it a shot too. Especially if he was showing that he was apologetic for his actions, not sure if he was at the time or not

He's a bloody good player

I thought he was the best defenseman on the ice during the Olympics by quite some distance and LA's 2nd best defenseman on one of there cup runs

If he's contrite and has shown a willingness to change i believe the guy should be allowed the chance to rehabilitate himself even if what he did was disgusting

I like winning, a lot, and was a dirty cheat when I used to play sports so that does guide me on this slightly

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

No voynov is a POS not anybody that wants him that is for each person decide how they fall on the issue. I personally don’t want that POS on my team

Reactions: Menzinger

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
He's a bloody good player

I thought he was the best defenseman on the ice during the Olympics by quite some distance and LA's 2nd best defenseman on one of there cup runs

If he's contrite and has shown a willingness to change i believe the guy should be allowed the chance to rehabilitate himself even if what he did was disgusting

I like winning, a lot, and was a dirty cheat when I used to play sports so that does guide me on this slightly

isn't this moot though? he's still under contract w/LA right?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
isn't this moot though? he's still under contract w/LA right?

I don't think LA wants him back and he's fairly toxic (for obvious reasons) so he's probably available pretty cheap if we wanted to trade for him

No voynov is a POS not anybody that wants him that is for each person decide how they fall on the issue. I personally don’t want that POS on my team

You're probably in the majority on that one Walshy and I think management would agree with you

The blow back would be ugly for whoever got him

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I don't think LA wants him back and he's fairly toxic (for obvious reasons) so he's probably available pretty cheap if we wanted to trade for him

You're probably in the majority on that one Walshy and I think management would agree with you

I agree, the negative press of signing him would linger for such a long time. But the only reason I don’t want him is my own personal feelings on what he did. He was in the process of being deported when he voluntarily left. He is going to have issues returning to the US, it won’t be as simple as signing a contract with a team

Reactions: Menzinger

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

well not really. I remember when Dubas hired Keefe for the Marlies. a lot of people were pissed because Keefe was linked to the whole Frost situation (and a lot of Leafs fans here thought the Leafs were disgusting for bringing him in our organization). I don't even think Shanahan said anything. Keefe made i think the rounds it came out he told his story (again), then it just went away. And people love Keefe for what he's doing for the marlies.

Ryan O'Rielly (allegedly) got drunk and plowed into a Tim Hortons and walked away. people got over it right that quick. I know this ended up being a set up - but When Patrick Kane was accused of rape there were a lot of people who said even if he was guilty they'd stand beside him (In the organization and outside of it- but then again Kane was innocent).

I want to make it 100 percent clear, that i don't condone what Voynov did and that he was realllly scuzzy. However. if he went through therapy and all the appropriate actions and was contrite - then I don't see why Shanahan/Lou should be respected less (again your milage may vary), or that Voynov compared to a tonne of people in the league who has dark pasts) doesn't deserve a second chance.

Reactions: Leaffan1991

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I agree, the negative press of signing him would linger for such a long time. But the only reason I don’t want him is my own personal feelings on what he did. He was in the process of being deported when he voluntarily left. He is going to have issues returning to the US, it won’t be as simple as signing a contract with a team

only if he sucked.
(see my post re: Keefe).

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Yeah his status in the US and Canada would be a major issue and I don't know if it could be worked around

I can't see the authorities being particularly lenient with him

well not really. I remember when Dubas hired Keefe for the Marlies. a lot of people were pissed because Keefe was linked to the whole Frost situation (and a lot of Leafs fans here thought the Leafs were disgusting for bringing him in our organization). I don't even think Shanahan said anything. Keefe made i think the rounds it came out he told his story (again), then it just went away. And people love Keefe for what he's doing for the marlies.

Ryan O'Rielly (allegedly) got drunk and plowed into a Tim Hortons and walked away. people got over it right that quick. I know this ended up being a set up - but When Patrick Kane was accused of rape there were a lot of people who said even if he was guilty they'd stand beside him (In the organization and outside of it- but then again Kane was innocent).

I want to make it 100 percent clear, that i don't condone what Voynov did and that he was realllly scuzzy. However. if he went through therapy and all the appropriate actions and was contrite - then I don't see why Shanahan/Lou should be respected less (again your milage may vary), or that Voynov compared to a tonne of people in the league who has dark pasts) doesn't deserve a second chance.

People love a winner Daisy

I know from my own perspective I'd pat him on the back and buy him a drink if he played a role in us winning a cup and I ****** hate scum that hit women

I just like winning more

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I definitely think some folks certainly deserve a second chance, but that can come down to different factors -ie severity of the issue. But I don’t necessarily think that should apply to everybody though.

What I’ve read about the Voynov police report was pretty horrifying, and I’ve got not interest in cheering for a guy like that, even if he is truly sorry for his actions.

Reactions: Walshy7

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
Voynov punched her in the jaw at a Halloween party, pushed her to the ground, kicked her, and choked her; when she was trying to get up, he pushed her face into the corner of the TV which resulted in her getting a deep cut above her eye. She confirmed to numerous people that this had not been the first time that he abused her. The scene looked like some murder happened there.

I am a survivor of domestic violence. I do not want this piece of sh1t on my team, and I wish people would respect that, but a winning team is more important than my feelings, am I right? You need to stop making excuses for people like Voynov. People like him will never change. Abuse is more than just physically hurting someone. And even if he is not touching her anymore, doesn't mean that he is not emotionally abusive toward her. He deserves to be in prison, not playing for NHL teams and winning Cups and medals.

Reactions: IBeL34f and Walshy7

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Voynov punched her in the jaw at a Halloween party, pushed her to the ground, kicked her, and choked her; when she was trying to get up, he pushed her face into the corner of the TV which resulted in her getting a deep cut above her eye. She confirmed to numerous people that this had not been the first time that he abused her. The scene looked like some murder happened there.

I am a survivor of domestic violence. I do not want this piece of sh1t on my team, and I wish people would respect that, but a winning team is more important than my feelings, am I right? You need to stop making excuses for people like Voynov. People like him will never change. Abuse is more than just physically hurting someone. And even if he is not touching her anymore, doesn't mean that he is not emotionally abusive toward her. He deserves to be in prison, not playing for NHL teams and winning Cups and medals.

You can have your life experiences but expecting a pro sports team to make there decisions based on your feelings is going a bit far

Our society is based on people being punished and rehabilitating themselves (Voynov actually having payed for his crime in the first place is pretty debatable) but you can't just throw out how society operates based on subjective feelings

You also can't just throw out things like he may be emotionally abusive towards his wife still without evidence it's happening either

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don’t think Voynov is on our radar. I also don’t think it would remain much of a story for very long. People forget kane was also in trouble for punching a cabbie. Evander had troubles. Lucic and galchenyuk were involved in domestic allegations.

Bottom line is if he is allowed back in to the country to work who are the NHL to override the government?If the “punishment” is done from a legal perspective (it might not be) then it is wrong to hold him away from his job. Doctors, lawyers professionals from all walks of life are allowed to work after acts of violence.

No one here knows the story of how their lives have been since. He may be a specific type of abuser, and it may be an emotional control etc. He also may be the perfect husband since, and denying the family millions because of an incident 5 years ago doesn’t exactly help the situation of the victim.

What many people don’t know (thankfully) due to lack of experience, is that the “power and control” domestic violence scenario involving isolation, emotional abuse etc is a real and terrible thing. However it is not the most common type of intimate partner violence. We can’t infer patterns, emotional abuse etc based on news reports from 5 years ago

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

I am legitimately and truly sorry you went through that. I really am and I commend your strength for overcoming what you did because i legitimately don't think I would be able to

however, I don't think I am making excuses. like i said i didn't follow it all, just that he was abusive etc was gonna get arrested etc and then he got kicked out. We don't know. we don't know if he made amends and is getting therapy. He could be just as abusive, (and if he is i agree with you). however he could not be and if he's not , and he's doing things to be a better person, then i feel he should be allowed to have a second chance. it doesn't negate his pass or nullify what he did, and he should pay for that and by all accounts he did for what was available in the circumstances but if he has changed (which would be up to ANY team to figure out) then he deserves a chance.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
They need to bring in a defenseman who is a guarantee to be a solid performer every night. Think big. Not any of these band-aid solutions.

You want the Cup, you have to assemble the best.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wouldn’t want to target Voynov as like, one of my top 3 or 4 choices.

IF we traded for his rights and signed him, I honestly don’t know how I’d feel.

I would hope that someone who did something that cost them their job and home, would be smart enough to do that again. However, I would also expect any person to be smart enough to not abuse their significant other.

I’m torn, honestly. My brain and heart says no, my competitiveness says probably.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

If he only played games in Canada that would still ensure he played more games per year for the team than Tanev would ever be capable of:sarcasm:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad