Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If I am the Blues and in need of a C, Tavares is my #1 target as it does not cost me a Parayko. Question is whether they are willing to fork out the money and whether Tavares is interested.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If I am the Blues and in need of a C, Tavares is my #1 target as it does not cost me a Parayko. Question is whether they are willing to fork out the money and whether Tavares is interested.

St.Louis, San Jose, Las Vegas and Toronto are the top 4 teams that come to mind

Flyers have some excess cap too and would be super under the radar. Even more savings for them too if bought out Lehtera.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think we can trade Kadri unless we're getting a guy who can replace him; only guy seemingly available would be ROR but doubt they're trading him to us.

This off-season though we need to strengten centre by getting a 2-3C and a 4C (Kadri slots somewhere between 2 or 3C depending on who we get) and we need a quality 4C going into next year.

Obviously defense is also huge.

A bonus acquisition would be some size/skill on the wing

First, they need to find a center that can finally fit the role of what the Leafs traded 2x2nd round picks for. They need a capable center to kill penalties, win faceoffs and have a strong possession game. They cannot afford to miss the boat again on that one and I doubt Gauthier is seen as that player anymore. Aaltonen could be that player and he's had a good AHL season.

Matthews and Kadri as a 1-2 punch down the middle is great. It's going to be very tough to replace Bozak though. Tavares would give us the best center depth in the league but that is very unlikely to happen for a lot of different reasons.

Second, they desperately need to find a defenseman to replace Hainsey as early as next season. They can't let that giant hole stay empty.

Finding a winger isn't really on my shopping list. Johnsson and Kapanen full time next season, which means we have 1 winger spot, probably in that fourth line role. Just bring back Komarov for a year and call it a day.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
First, they need to find a center that can finally fit the role of what the Leafs traded 2x2nd round picks for. They need a capable center to kill penalties, win faceoffs and have a strong possession game. They cannot afford to miss the boat again on that one and I doubt Gauthier is seen as that player anymore. Aaltonen could be that player and he's had a good AHL season.

Matthews and Kadri as a 1-2 punch down the middle is great. It's going to be very tough to replace Bozak though. Tavares would give us the best center depth in the league but that is very unlikely to happen for a lot of different reasons.

Second, they desperately need to find a defenseman to replace Hainsey as early as next season. They can't let that giant hole stay empty.

If it is Matthews-Kadri as #1-2 that is good. 4C totally should be Jay Beagle, GREAT at the role if available, Brodziak would be good too. 3C? Thornton on 1 year deal....doubt we can get Stastny to take a 1-2 year deal. Other then that, it's gotta be the trade route.

In terms of a defenseman, again not much on the market, the fact Hainsey can play both sides is nice too. Only real option I saw on defense was Pateryn maybe as a #6-7 but that is it. Carlson would be a nice fit but doubt it materializes. Green not a fit. Hamhuis is LHD.

Basically you hope to god something happens in UFA for a centre(s) and we can use trade assets for a defenseman.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If it is Matthews-Kadri as #1-2 that is good. 4C totally should be Jay Beagle, GREAT at the role if available, Brodziak would be good too. 3C? Thornton on 1 year deal....doubt we can get Stastny to take a 1-2 year deal. Other then that, it's gotta be the trade route.

In terms of a defenseman, again not much on the market, the fact Hainsey can play both sides is nice too. Only real option I saw on defense was Pateryn maybe as a #6-7 but that is it. Carlson would be a nice fit but doubt it materializes. Green not a fit. Hamhuis is LHD.

Basically you hope to god something happens in UFA for a centre(s) and we can use trade assets for a defenseman.

They need to get aggressive and creative in the off-season. We don't have to just sign UFA's and I'd like to think our management is capable of hopefully making a steal of a trade.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They need to get aggressive and creative in the off-season. We don't have to just sign UFA's and I'd like to think our management is capable of hopefully making a steal of a trade.

Fingers crossed man, I just hope the whole GM thing doesn't drag out. We need to know is it Lou/Dubas/Hunter/Other asap

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
St.Louis, San Jose, Las Vegas and Toronto are the top 4 teams that come to mind

Flyers have some excess cap too and would be super under the radar. Even more savings for them too if bought out Lehtera.

I honestly can't see why Toronto would not be his first choice.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Fingers crossed man, I just hope the whole GM thing doesn't drag out. We need to know is it Lou/Dubas/Hunter/Other asap
I'd bet within a week of getting eliminated they announce Lou Lams extension

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I honestly can't see why Toronto would not be his first choice.

If he doesn't want to be in the spotlight, then Toronto won't be his first choice.

Does anyone know whether he comes home to train in the offseason, or does he stay in New York or go someone else?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Kadri's the best we've got unless you want to put Matthews into that role which I'm pretty squiffy on at this point in his career

There's also who's playing 2 and 3C especially if Nylander struggles to adapt to that role

I've looked at the pending UFA'S list, I wouldn't go buying a center out of that lot either, except Tavares
if we were trading Kadri for a dman, we'd definitely have to do some shoring up at center first or be confident that we can right after. Bozak is still a viable option to play 3C and with a young family he'd probably take a bit of a discount to stay here so I don't hate him at $3-3.5 x 2 years

after that, I think you trade for a guy who's comfortable at center and a wing position so there's some safety net if Nylander doesn't transition well, but I think he's shown enough to expect that he will. There will be some players available, like Mikko Koivu for example - he's old but still playing very well

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
if we were trading Kadri for a dman, we'd definitely have to do some shoring up at center first or be confident that we can right after. Bozak is still a viable option to play 3C and with a young family he'd probably take a bit of a discount to stay here so I don't hate him at $3-3.5 x 2 years

after that, I think you trade for a guy who's comfortable at center and a wing position so there's some safety net if Nylander doesn't transition well, but I think he's shown enough to expect that he will. There will be some players available, like Mikko Koivu for example - he's old but still playing very well

Only way Kadri gets traded is if we sign JT. IMO Bozak should only be a desperate option similar to signing Polak this year.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Only way Kadri gets traded is if we sign JT. IMO Bozak should only be a desperate option similar to signing Polak this year.
signing Tavares is one of the things that could make Kadri expendable for sure, Nylander moving to center without losing his offensive ability is another

Polak is a fringe NHL'er, Bozak is a middle of the pack NHL center, not close to the same

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
signing Tavares is one of the things that could make Kadri expendable for sure, Nylander moving to center without losing his offensive ability is another

Polak is a fringe NHL'er, Bozak is a middle of the pack NHL center, not close to the same

Nylander is definitely an option at C and I prefer that over bringing TyBo back. Can't see Bozak returning on the cheap like Polak did. Signing JT could make Nylander extendable if Leafs find it difficult to sign him.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I dont see how a Tavares acquisition through FA has anything to do with Kadri as a Leaf.

As we can see right now, no other player on the Leafs roster brings to the team what Kadri does. Kadri is reasonably paid and the best two way player we have. The Leafs would be stupid to rid themselves of Kadri just as stupid Edmonton was for ridding themselves of Hall. Kadri is a difference maker to a team in other ways, ways that you need to be a successful team.

If the question is to have one of Tavares or Kadri I say stay away from Tavares. We have enough of him on the team. If the question is to have Matthews, Tavares and Kadri as your centermen. Then the answer is I am all for it. That is the making of a Stanley Cup team.

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Nylander is definitely an option at C and I prefer that over bringing TyBo back. Can't see Bozak returning on the cheap like Polak did. Signing JT could make Nylander extendable if Leafs find it difficult to sign him.
I don't think it's a good idea to trade away guys in the early 20's age range who have big ceilings, most of the work on statistical peaks points at 22/23 to 28/29 ish being the best performance period of a player's career. I think we want an extended window to compete for cups, so I'd be keeping the core group together that will all peak for a while at the same time

Tavares will likely start to decline in the near future, coming down from a very high peak so not like he would be bad for a long time, but you might get a very similar average performance level out of him and Nylander during the course of whatever contract he signs at a hugely inflated price. I'd choose Nylander over JT

I do see Bozak taking a discount to stay, but not like Polak did because Polak is barely an NHL'er so there was no demand for his services. Bozak will have suitors

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't think it's a good idea to trade away guys in the early 20's age range who have big ceilings, most of the work on statistical peaks points at 22/23 to 28/29 ish being the best performance period of a player's career. I think we want an extended window to compete for cups, so I'd be keeping the core group together that will all peak for a while at the same time

Tavares will likely start to decline in the near future, coming down from a very high peak so not like he would be bad for a long time, but you might get a very similar average performance level out of him and Nylander during the course of whatever contract he signs at a hugely inflated price. I'd choose Nylander over JT

I do see Bozak taking a discount to stay, but not like Polak did because Polak is barely an NHL'er so there was no demand for his services. Bozak will have suitors

Not saying they will trade Nylander or Kadri but if you sign JT, one of Nylander and Kadri could be used to acquire that top RHD we are desperate for. If I had my choice I keep them all and try to find another way to acquire help on D.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Not saying they will trade Nylander or Kadri but if you sign JT, one of Nylander and Kadri could be used to acquire that top RHD we are desperate for. If I had my choice I keep them all and try to find another way to acquire help on D.
I'm saying that I don't trade Nylander even if we get Tavares, Kadri could be expendable in that case, he and JT are the same age

we need to hit some late round home runs in the draft to get some trade fodder that can bring back a big name. If we had a Kaprizov on the farm it wouldn't matter if that guy pans out at the NHL level, he'll get blue chip credit in a trade

Reactions: ToneDog

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'm saying that I don't trade Nylander even if we get Tavares, Kadri could be expendable in that case, he and JT are the same age

we need to hit some late round home runs in the draft to get some trade fodder that can bring back a big name. If we had a Kaprizov on the farm it wouldn't matter if that guy pans out at the NHL level, he'll get blue chip credit in a trade
Tavares - Marner
Matthews - Nylander
Kadri - Kapanen

for the next 10 years.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Tavares - Marner
Matthews - Nylander
Kadri - Kapanen

for the next 10 years.
I like the sounds of it, feels like a lot of cap in few baskets though so we would have to cobble together a defense corps like we're doing now. If Liljegren was looking like a stud next year, it might not be so bad. We'd need a continuous pipeline of ELC talent for the whole LW side, 4th line positions and defense so depends how much faith we have in Hunter I guess

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I certainly wouldn't want to trade Nylander, but any appeal in signing Tavares for me would be to have a strong centre ice punch of Matthews-Tavares-Kadri. I imagine Nylander is (quite?) more expensive than Kadri going forward as well, and obviously not as proven as a C.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I certainly wouldn't want to trade Nylander, but any appeal in signing Tavares for me would be to have a strong centre ice punch of Matthews-Tavares-Kadri. I imagine Nylander is (quite?) more expensive than Kadri going forward as well, and obviously not as proven as a C.
the cost for Nylander vs Kadri probably depends on the time frame. Kadri is probably cheaper for the next 4 years, but probably more expensive after that. I'd guess Nylander gets around $6.25M for a 6-8 year extension, Kadri is $4.5M for now but likely $8.5M at least (depends on cap inflation) after the next 4 years. If Nylander signs $6.25ish for 8 years, I think their average cost will be very similar for that 8 years

performance wise, I'd bet heavily on Nylander being a better player for the back half of that 8 years. I think no matter what in building a contender you're going to have to take some risks, I'd bet on Nylander being a center and keep him

Hell, Matthews-Nylander-Kadri looks like a dangerous center position if thats what we want to do

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
the cost for Nylander vs Kadri probably depends on the time frame. Kadri is probably cheaper for the next 4 years, but probably more expensive after that. I'd guess Nylander gets around $6.25M for a 6-8 year extension, Kadri is $4.5M for now but likely $8.5M at least (depends on cap inflation) after the next 4 years. If Nylander signs $6.25ish for 8 years, I think their average cost will be very similar for that 8 years

performance wise, I'd bet heavily on Nylander being a better player for the back half of that 8 years. I think no matter what in building a contender you're going to have to take some risks, I'd bet on Nylander being a center and keep him

Hell, Matthews-Nylander-Kadri looks like a dangerous center position if thats what we want to do

I'd like to see Matthews-Nylander-Kadri down the middle, but understand that may not happen due to breaking up a good pairing with Matthews and Nylander and/or Babcock potentially not seeing Nylander as a fulltime C. I also think signing Tavares might be more longshot than real possibility, in part due to cost, as he's definitely more expensive than either Nylander or Kadri.

Will be interesting to see what we do to potentially address the C position going forward if there's a big enough need (such as not re-signing Bozak), whether it's in-house or outside of the organization.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I would prefer one of the two following options:

1)

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
<<Fill in the 4th line >>>

Brown to me becomes the piece to be traded for a dman as part of a package. If its not Brown then its Kapanen. Those are the two assets unfortunately that will be taken from to gain leverage on D.

There is no reason why the Leafs cannot put together a lineup in the top 9 as described above. The 4th line can be put together between prospects and UFA's. There will be plenty of 4th line potential center's that can be acquired through free agency. We have the wingers with the Marlies to fill in on that line which will be cheap and effective.

2)

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-RNH-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
<< Fill in 4th line >>>

Brown and Gardiner are shipped out to Edmonton for RNH. Edmonton needs a Dman and wingers. Again if they prefer Kapanen instead of Brown so be it. I would be ok with either or. 4th line is filled in as explained in option #1.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'd like to see Matthews-Nylander-Kadri down the middle, but understand that may not happen due to breaking up a good pairing with Matthews and Nylander and/or Babcock potentially not seeing Nylander as a fulltime C. I also think signing Tavares might be more longshot than real possibility, in part due to cost, as he's definitely more expensive than either Nylander or Kadri.

Will be interesting to see what we do to potentially address the C position going forward if there's a big enough need (such as not re-signing Bozak), whether it's in-house or outside of the organization.
ya, I see it the same. Tavares is a nice pipe dream but even if he wants to come here, if he's $12M/year signing him means sacrificing too much in other places on the roster. If he wants to come for a Stamkos type number, so be it. I'd be more inclined to look at Doughty for the $10M+ price tag next year

It seems like we have lots of winger depth in the organization, and I think if one of Bracco/Grundstrom/Korshkov/Johnsson/Leivo came into the fold and proved they were a legitimate top 6 type talent that would free Nylander up to move to center, still feels like we'd be spreading things a little thin by moving Nylander away from Matthews

in the meantime, Matthews-Kadri-Bozak is fine, especially if it can become Matthews-Kadri-Nylander-Bozak and still have enough talent on the wings to make each line effective

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad