Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Riley Nash, Derek Ryan, Tim Schaller, Brodziak, or B Tanev ???

If we sign Tavares we could go Matthews, Tavares, Kadri, Aaltonen, Goat

If we don't sign Tavares, we could go Matthews, Kadri, 1 or 2 of the above UFA Cs, Aaltonen

i like Nash 1

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
A number of Boston fans don't think that they will be able to resign Riley Nash. He'd make a decent #3C for us.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
My biggest thing is are we signing him to be a 30pt center or a 40pt center. Cause I wouldn't want to sign him expecting 40 pt production again.

on our team with our depth hed probably be a decent chance to hit high 30's maybe 40's though. Even if he ended up 4C he may end up with Kapanen and johnsson (although I hope both of them move up the lineup) Grundstrom will be a good chance to make the team next season too

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Sign Carlson 8 x 7
Sign Jay Beagle 2.75 x 2
Trade Matt Martin (50% retained) for a 6th

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Aaltonen-Kapanen
Grundstrom-Beagle-Brown
Gauthier-Leivo

Rielly-Carlson
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey
Carrick

Andersen-Pickard/Sparks

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
A number of Boston fans don't think that they will be able to resign Riley Nash. He'd make a decent #3C for us.
I don't know him that well, but looks like a possession dog at face value. Negative CF%/FF%, highly negative relatives on a really good possession team. The relatives are probably magnified because his team is good possession wise, but hard to frame as being a good possession guy

Bozak has been pretty good possession wise since Carlyle left, not a guy that we want in a big role but I'm not sure why we're rushing him out the door as a 3C either

Reactions: Fogelhund

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't think it's a good idea to trade away guys in the early 20's age range who have big ceilings, most of the work on statistical peaks points at 22/23 to 28/29 ish being the best performance period of a player's career. I think we want an extended window to compete for cups, so I'd be keeping the core group together that will all peak for a while at the same time

Tavares will likely start to decline in the near future, coming down from a very high peak so not like he would be bad for a long time, but you might get a very similar average performance level out of him and Nylander during the course of whatever contract he signs at a hugely inflated price. I'd choose Nylander over JT

I do see Bozak taking a discount to stay, but not like Polak did because Polak is barely an NHL'er so there was no demand for his services. Bozak will have suitors

I’m definitely open to signing JT, but I’d agree I’d say both Nylander and Marner likely out score JT within three seasons

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I’m definitely open to signing JT, but I’d agree I’d say both Nylander and Marner likely out score JT within three seasons
agree, if the idea is that JT makes Nylander expendable I don't proceed with that plan.

Honestly I think I like a Thornton type short term signing better than a ~$11M/year x 7 year commitment to JT even if he is a franchise level center. So much cap expended in so few places

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
agree, if the idea is that JT makes Nylander expendable I don't proceed with that plan.

Honestly I think I like a Thornton type short term signing better than a ~$11M/year x 7 year commitment to JT even if he is a franchise level center. So much cap expended in so few places

Assuming Thornton looks healthy enough to play as usual next season he’s also my preferred option too.

Could slide into Bozaks sheltered role perfectly.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't know him that well, but looks like a possession dog at face value. Negative CF%/FF%, highly negative relatives on a really good possession team. The relatives are probably magnified because his team is good possession wise, but hard to frame as being a good possession guy

Bozak has been pretty good possession wise since Carlyle left, not a guy that we want in a big role but I'm not sure why we're rushing him out the door as a 3C either

I'm wondering what the options out there are, if we don't resign Bozak and/or Pleks.

I had also considered Nylander as the 3C, and going after Kovalchuk to play alongside Matthews... I'm not sure Kovy would have interest in playing in Toronto, but at least it's a high level player, who wouldn't require a long contract.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Assuming Thornton looks healthy enough to play as usual next season he’s also my preferred option too.

Could slide into Bozaks sheltered role perfectly.
I'd be very interested to see him in sheltered usage with speed on both wings, Johnsson & Kapanen have looked pretty good with Kadri setting them up, I'd love to see them with one of the best playmakers of a generation

Thornton's still doing very well possession wise in tough usage, I'm sure he'd just possess the puck at will in Bozak's usage. Really hope he's healthy and willing to come here

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

I think it’s for the long term contract. If he wants 5 x 5.5 we shouldn’t do that

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think it’s for the long term contract. If he wants 5 x 5.5 we shouldn’t do that

That's the problem. Bozak has been pretty good, and should get paid by someone... but we can't afford 5.5 LT for him. He probably deserves it. We really can only afford what he is paid now, or a discount.... I doubt he takes that.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Bozak is definitely pricing himself out of Toronto and I don’t blame him.

This is his last chance to get a multi year 4ish million deal. I can’t see him passing that up just because he may like Toronto.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Bozak is definitely pricing himself out of Toronto and I don’t blame him.

This is his last chance to get a multi year 4ish million deal. I can’t see him passing that up just because he may like Toronto.

how on earth do you know that?
he took less to stay 5 years ago.
as we've seen - some players def. take less than we think to stay with the team they wanna be with.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
if that's the ask then I agree. I was thinking 2 years, 3 max at $3.5ish, maybe $4M on a shorter term. If someone is willing to give him that then we should look elsewhere

I'm wondering what the options out there are, if we don't resign Bozak and/or Pleks.

I had also considered Nylander as the 3C, and going after Kovalchuk to play alongside Matthews... I'm not sure Kovy would have interest in playing in Toronto, but at least it's a high level player, who wouldn't require a long contract.
Thornton is another one to consider at C. I think we're finally in a place as a franchise that we can attract that Kovy/Thornton level of talent that's looking for a winner to go out on, so it could get fun over the next couple of summers. No more bottom feeding for guys like David Clarkson on monster deals

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
as we've seen - some players def. take less than we think to stay with the team they wanna be with.

If he takes less, I'd be thrilled. But as Menzinger suggests, his performance suggests he'll get more. It would be highly unusual for someone to take both a shorter deal, and less dollars than they are worth, at this stage of a career. But, if he really wants to stay here, he's an asset to this organization, and I've defended the player more than once. He'd be a great #3C here, around $3.5 mil. Heck get him and Pleks signed for $7 or less, for a few years, and we'd be set.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Thornton is another one to consider at C. I think we're finally in a place as a franchise that we can attract that Kovy/Thornton level of talent that's looking for a winner to go out on, so it could get fun over the next couple of summers. No more bottom feeding for guys like David Clarkson on monster deals

Thornton has had a great career... but he missed a lot of time last year. Is that a fluke, or is he breaking down? He'd be a great get on a two year deal, looking for a cup.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
If he takes less, I'd be thrilled. But as Menzinger suggests, his performance suggests he'll get more. It would be highly unusual for someone to take both a shorter deal, and less dollars than they are worth, at this stage of a career. But, if he really wants to stay here, he's an asset to this organization, and I've defended the player more than once. He'd be a great #3C here, around $3.5 mil. Heck get him and Pleks signed for $7 or less, for a few years, and we'd be set.

5 years ago he could have had more (and his performance was worth it) , and he took less because he said he wanted to be a leaf etc. I mean he COULD leave for more (ie: if the Leafs don't make him an offer which could be possible) but i wouldn't assume because this is his 'last' contract he'd price himself out.

he could easily want to stay with the team where he developed with, been through a LOT of crap, and is now poised to do great things. that's just as important.

who will pay him more, and where are they?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Thornton has had a great career... but he missed a lot of time last year. Is that a fluke, or is he breaking down? He'd be a great get on a two year deal, looking for a cup.

two knee injuries back to back.
i might be living in the past but 1 year of Jumbo on this team with the way he can dish the puck? swoon.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

Well this is likely Bozak's last big paycheck so he should probably do what is best for him and his family moving forward.

Also, I am pretty sure he didn't take less to stay in Toronto, or at least not significantly less. The offers weren't there so he came circling back.

who will pay him more, and where are they?

Generally, teams in the bottom 10 in the standings or competitive teams that missed out on players like JT (x2) will throw money at Bozak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad