Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Carlson would be perfect for our top 4, but realistically i think we are going to end up signing guys like Thornton and Kovalchuk to stop gap deals and then trading to improve our blue line

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think they are better off keeping Lucic. Are they going to move him and retain half? They aren't going to find a much better player with the remaining $3 mil cap hit. They kind of appear stuck with him.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Carlson would be perfect for our top 4, but realistically i think we are going to end up signing guys like Thornton and Kovalchuk to stop gap deals and then trading to improve our blue line

thornton 1 year x $7 million?
kovy 3 years x $5 million

hyman matthews nylander
kovy thornton marner
marleau kadri kapanen
leivo xxxxx brown

rielly hainsey
gardiner zaitsev
dermott holl
borgman

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
thornton 1 year x $7 million?
kovy 3 years x $5 million

hyman matthews nylander
kovy thornton marner
marleau kadri kapanen
leivo xxxxx brown

rielly hainsey
gardiner zaitsev
dermott holl
borgman

That D is worse than it is now. Need a better option than Holl in order to seriously compete for the SC next year.

On the fence for Jumbo and Kovy. On one hand it could work on another might be too risky to bank on a 35 and 39 year old. If they fail, you lose the year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think Jumbo is a reasonable option, but it isn't going to be at $7 mil. It's going to be more like $3-4 mil, if his primary reason for signing here, is to win the cup. If he really wants a cup, he should sign at a discount somewhere, to help that team achieve it. Joe, and a couple of D, and this team is singing.

He's made $80 million already... is it the money, or the Cup that is the motivator now?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That D is worse than it is now. Need a better option than Holl in order to seriously compete for the SC next year.

On the fence for Jumbo and Kovy. On one hand it could work on another might be too risky to bank on a 35 and 39 year old. If they fail, you lose the year.

I think given what's out there in the UFA market, Thornton represents the best risk/reward for what you'd be signing him for. It would be a 1 or 2 year term with good upside. Tavares and Statsny are the other options (Sedin isn't leaving Vancouver) - both of those players will obviously carry more term and cap hit. Those contracts have the potential to become burdens for multiple years at the end. Thornton doesn't carry that risk.

He may not be as effective as he was but given the role he'd be asked to play, it's not a huge demand.

I'm not keen on a multi-year deal for Kovi. The Leafs have good LW depth in the system and while it's not to the level of Kovi, I'd rather spend the cap space on the blue line. If they wanted a depth LW scorer, I'd go with Vanek for a 1 year deal that would be much cheaper and could pot 20 goals, 40 points if he's healthy.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Latest Leafs report podcast tidbit: Mirtle says the Leafs offer for mcdonagh was “well below” other teams. No Kapanen, Dermott or Liljegren, just “b level” prospects.

Honestly makes me happy they’re being a bit conservative in thebtrade market - harder to make blunders that way.

There were no 'A level' prospects in the final deal, though? For the Leafs to be "well below" other teams, their offer must have been really low.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Latest Leafs report podcast tidbit: Mirtle says the Leafs offer for mcdonagh was “well below” other teams. No Kapanen, Dermott or Liljegren, just “b level” prospects.

Honestly makes me happy they’re being a bit conservative in thebtrade market - harder to make blunders that way.
Would have been even happier had they not spent a 2nd on Plek. Brutal and unnecssary

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hes a pretty prime compliance buyout candidate for the next lockout.

Same with Price and Weber.

I think you only get one compliance buy out right?

Shea Weber
Brent Seabrook
Milan Lucic
Loui Eriksson
Andrew Ladd
Nikita Zaitsev

Wonder who else is in there?

Johnny Boychuk?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think you only get one compliance buy out right?

Shea Weber
Brent Seabrook
Milan Lucic
Loui Eriksson
Andrew Ladd
Nikita Zaitsev

Wonder who else is in there?

Johnny Boychuk?

Uh... Not going to happen. Unless we get someone else or until Liljegren comes up, he's the only thing we have close to a top 4 RHD, and is on a great contract. Sure his possession numbers are not fantastic, he's not putting up a ton of points, and he gives up the puck a little bit more than he should, but he has the 3rd highest defensive point share on the team (higher than Rielly in fact) despite playing between 11 and 17 games less than his competition (who range from -0.9 to +0.4 from him, so he'd be blowing them out of the water as our best defensive defenseman had he been healthy the entire year), and has the most ATOI with a ridiculous amount of PK time against top end competition. We are not going to find a suitable replacement for less than he's making. Probably could not even find one without going over 5-5.5 mill a year.

If we use a compliance buyout on anyone, it'll probably be Horton or Marleau. Maybe you only save on a year or two, but they'd be the worst contracts we have at that time. An even better option, if we are allowed, would be to acquire someone else's problem for a huge return and buy that guy out, but we may not be allowed to do that.

Also last time we got two. One for Komisarek and one for Grabovski.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Uh... Not going to happen. Unless we get someone else or until Liljegren comes up, he's the only thing we have close to a top 4 RHD, and is on a great contract. Sure his possession numbers are not fantastic, he's not putting up a ton of points, and he gives up the puck a little bit more than he should, but he has the 3rd highest defensive point share on the team (higher than Rielly in fact) despite playing between 11 and 17 games less than his competition (who range from -0.9 to +0.4 from him, so he'd be blowing them out of the water as our best defensive defenseman had he been healthy the entire year), and has the most ATOI with a ridiculous amount of PK time against top end competition. We are not going to find a suitable replacement for less than he's making. Probably could not even find one without going over 5-5.5 mill a year.

If we use a compliance buyout on anyone, it'll probably be Horton or Marleau. Maybe you only save on a year or two, but they'd be the worst contracts we have at that time. An even better option, if we are allowed, would be to acquire someone else's problem for a huge return and buy that guy out, but we may not be allowed to do that.

Also last time we got two. One for Komisarek and one for Grabovski.

I think Marleau is up by then?

Not sure on Horton, might be 1 year.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

well not me.
why bother going for McDonagh if you weren't going to make a serious offer. they could have just gone somewhere else. geeze.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
well not me.
why bother going for McDonagh if you weren't going to make a serious offer. they could have just gone somewhere else. geeze.

Considering what the Bolts paid, I don’t think it was worth it to get yet another LHD.

Leafs likely couldn’t be sure of what other teams were offering - so they took a shot in the dark hoping to get a bargain. Didn’t work or, but that’s preferred to overpaying imo.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I don't think any teams should be relying on there being compliance buyouts available when the next CBA is signed.

In both of the last two work stoppages, it was the owners who were demanding major concessions - first the implementation of the salary cap, and then a significant clawback in the player share of revenue. Both of these changes changed the playing field and compliance buyouts were provided to help teams adjust to the new salary structure.

This time around, the NHL is actually happy with the status quo (as evidenced by their attempt to use the Olympics to extend the current agreement.) It is the players who want concessions (their biggest issue seeming to be escrow.)

As such, it is unlikely that we see any major changes in cap rules that would require teams to re-adjust their salary structure, and so there isn't a need to provide compliance buyouts. (Additionally, since these type of buyouts essentially work as a free chance for teams to pay salary that doesn't count against the cap - which in all other instances would be cap evasion - I don't think the league office is exactly eager to setting precedence where teams you can sign a Lucic-contract every few years and just count on your compliance buyout to get yourself off the hook.)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Thy mentioned guys like Nielsen

Nielsen is probably going to be shipped out by the end of the off season for some sort of player to help us out now. Seems to be the value chip they are leading with, and who can blame them with the amount of young LD depth the Leafs have. Dermott, Borgman, Rosen (who may also be a trade chip, but apparently has been much better than his stats indicate ala Rinat Valiev) plus a wealth of guys coming up.

Fedor Gordeev alone is someone who plays a very similar style of game and could easily replace Nielsen in the future.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think given what's out there in the UFA market, Thornton represents the best risk/reward for what you'd be signing him for. It would be a 1 or 2 year term with good upside. Tavares and Statsny are the other options (Sedin isn't leaving Vancouver) - both of those players will obviously carry more term and cap hit. Those contracts have the potential to become burdens for multiple years at the end. Thornton doesn't carry that risk.

He may not be as effective as he was but given the role he'd be asked to play, it's not a huge demand.

I'm not keen on a multi-year deal for Kovi. The Leafs have good LW depth in the system and while it's not to the level of Kovi, I'd rather spend the cap space on the blue line. If they wanted a depth LW scorer, I'd go with Vanek for a 1 year deal that would be much cheaper and could pot 20 goals, 40 points if he's healthy.

I might sign Jumbo or Kovy but not both. Joe would be plan B for me as Tavares is plan A. JT fast tracks the rebuild like Matthews did. With Tavares replacing TyBo, Leafs' need on LW (JVR replacement) and #4C is diminished. You need another Hyman type player to get the puck to JT and Mitch or Kadri and Kappy and you can go with Aalto/Goat at #4C and upgrade at the TDL if needed. Maroon might be a target if he can be had at $3M but I doubt it (Tavares 7x10m + Maroon 3x3m > TyBo 3x4m + JVR 6x6m).

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Considering what the Bolts paid, I don’t think it was worth it to get yet another LHD.

Leafs likely couldn’t be sure of what other teams were offering - so they took a shot in the dark hoping to get a bargain. Didn’t work or, but that’s preferred to overpaying imo.

Agree that McD was not worth it for us this year but I bet Rangers played off Leafs, Bolts and Bruins in order to get max return. As such they would have made it known to all 3 teams what others were offering. Given the "plan", Lou had an easy out and easily passed.

Reactions: Menzinger

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Wanted to get a little crazy here.

Possible for us to do a deal with Arizona post July 1st? Martin, Carrick, Horton, Pick(round???) for Bolland and ?? (if anything)

Saves us a year from the Horton deal, reason it costs us an asset is that Yotes would actually have to pay Horton's salary....probably not feasible right? They do only have 21M committed next year.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nielsen is probably going to be shipped out by the end of the off season for some sort of player to help us out now. Seems to be the value chip they are leading with, and who can blame them with the amount of young LD depth the Leafs have. Dermott, Borgman, Rosen (who may also be a trade chip, but apparently has been much better than his stats indicate ala Rinat Valiev) plus a wealth of guys coming up.

Fedor Gordeev alone is someone who plays a very similar style of game and could easily replace Nielsen in the future.[/QUOTE]

and gordeev can skate. Nielsens skating is very bad, prime candidate for a trade where the other team can be thinking we can fix it, if it could be fixed hed be a great prospect but from posters here who know about skating sounds like there isn't much improvement for him

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
well not me.

they put in an offer, likely early, hoping the rangers would get desperate and take it on deadline day. Once tampa deal started rolling leafs probably said no thanks we are out. Its not like they found out what tampa was offering then offered c prospects

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

but who cares.
Like. honestly this whole Right Hand/Left hand thing drives me nuts like nothing else.

the question should be:
Is he a good defensemen
will he help our team
will he make our team better

if it's "yes" to all, then what hand he shoots with shouldn't/doesn't matter.

again to me, i'm not upset that we didn't overpay, it ticks me off that they wasted time with this low ball offer, when they could have sussed out other avenues to get defensive help with the pieces they were willing to trade for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad