Free Agency and Trade Thread - Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think we've been saying he's had bad puck luck/poor shooting % for 3 seasons now.

That would be a hell of an add, I don't know if we'd get both without an addition on our side.

He's had 2 60 point seasons on his ECL for **** sakes

I remember the Steen trade, you guys deserve what you get
Thank God I don't think Dubas will do something stupid because the fan base is butt hurt over contract negotiations

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's had 2 60 point seasons on his ECL for **** sakes

I remember the Steen trade, go for it, you guys deserve what you get

I consider Pesce more valuable then Lee Stempniak to be fair and his production whenever he's away from Matthews hasn't been all that special.

Top 6 FWD for top 4D.

At some point, defense needs attention.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I consider Pesce more valuable then Lee Stempniak to be fair and his production whenever he's away from Matthews hasn't been all that special.

Top 6 FWD for top 4D.

At some point, defense needs attention.

Average top 4D for kid with borderline elite production on his ECL
This is a spectacularly bad idea, I'd laugh if it wasn't my team your wanting to **** over

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Average top 4D for kid with borderline elite production on his ECL
This is a spectacularly bad idea, I'd laugh if it wasn't my team your wanting to **** over

Except he's on a big boy contract now not producing like an elite player.

30 point production and great defense is a pretty good top 4 defenseman.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I honestly can believe this, so were trading him because of one half season after a holdout with brutal puck luck at his lowest possible value over the last 3 years?

You think that's the intelligent thing to do, do you? :help:

Pesce is a decent 2nd pairing defenseman, nothing more

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Some guy named Ian something was on the Big Show at 3:15 this afternoon and thought Leafs could get a top 2 dman for Nylander.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I honestly can believe this, so were trading him because of one half season after a holdout with brutal puck luck at his lowest possible value over the last 3 years?

You think that's the intelligent thing to do, do you? :help:

Pesce is a decent 2nd pairing defenseman, nothing more

Would you do Nylander for a top 2 dman ?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Pesce would obviously come with a plus, and Dubas would have to back out of his "no-trade" promise with Nylander.

At the same time, you could just swap Kadri for Pesce one-for-one. I think both teams would take that. Maybe a small sweetner that is no big deal.

Of course, this probably means Zaitsev gets dealt for futures somewhere. He could generate a good amount of interest given the way he's picked things up in the second half, and given that he was pretty good in the first half as well. Plus it is not like the UFA market is full of great RD options, and the few that are will be drastically overpaid most likely. Zaitsev's contract would likely be a steal comparatively.

Also, personal opinion, but I think Oz is dealt to give him a shot elsewhere. I have him packaged up with Kaskisuo to open up a contract spot and to get maybe a late round pick in return (in that scenario, to Tampa). I have Liljegren on the bottom pairing, and then having Holl as his competition. I think Holl loses most likely, and in that case he just ends up being a cheap #8 again.

I think the playoff results will determine if the Canes really make a push for another high end forward. If they score well but get out-goal tended that is not going to fuel the need to add a better forward with Nino, Svech and TT playing as well as they are. Right now I am not looking at Carolina as the most likely trading partner.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If McDavid demands a trade out of Edmonton why would we offer more than Matthews for McDavid straight up?

I've got doubts many teams can offer up a 40 goal franchise level #1C in his early 20's as a return, it's not like the Oilers are trading him because they want to

If I was the Oilers I'm looking for the best possible player back, not deals with tons of pluses with a lesser value

Reactions: Dragao6

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Setting value arguments to the side, I really don't think the Canes will (nor can they afford to) trade Pesce. He's their only top 4 RHD signed long term.

Faulk is a UFA after next year and I don't see any way he's still with Carolina after that (might even be moved this off-season).
Hamilton is a UFA in 2 more years and while he's fit in well in Carolina, he's been shown to have a bit of a shelf life in other places.
Fox decided not to sign in Carolina.

After that, they have TVR (who also is a UFA after next year) and McKeown (who looks NHL ready, but would be surprised if he was a top 4 RHD any time soon). If the Canes move Pesce for a forward, they would either have to overpay one or both of Faulk/Hamilton to stay or they'd be in the same situation Toronto is in right now....trying to find a top 4 RHD.

If I had to guess, I'd be they try to move Faulk this off-season.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Setting value arguments to the side, I really don't think the Canes will (nor can they afford to) trade Pesce. He's their only top 4 RHD signed long term.

Faulk is a UFA after next year and I don't see any way he's still with Carolina after that (might even be moved this off-season).
Hamilton is a UFA in 2 more years and while he's fit in well in Carolina, he's been shown to have a bit of a shelf life in other places.

After that, they have TVR (who also is a UFA after next year) and McKeown (who looks NHL ready, but would be surprised if he was a top 4 RHD any time soon). If the Canes move Pesce for a forward, they would either have to overpay one or both of Faulk/Hamilton to stay or they'd be in the same situation Toronto is in right now....trying to find a top 4 RHD.

How come you think Faulk won't stay? For the reasons you've outlined it seems like it might be a good idea to retain him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
How come you think Faulk won't stay? For the reasons you've outlined it seems like it might be a good idea to retain him.

A hunch.
1) They tried hard to trade him this past off-season, so they clearly wanted to move him. I think they'll try again as they have too much money tied up in defense (and Faulk has the highest salary at $6M even though his cap hit is less. Real $$$ matter more to Carolina).
2) He'll have been with the team 9 years by then and if he has another solid season, it will be his best, and probably only, chance to get a big payday in UFA.
3) I don't think the Canes owner will want to pay him top dollar to stay, particularly with new contracts to Aho, Ferland (or replacement), Svech (in another year), a goalie, etc.
4) Faulk and Hamilton are "ok" at defense, but are good goal scorers. Pesce is the only "defensive" RHD they have.

In 2 years, I think the Canes will have something like:

Slavin-Pesce
CDH - Hamilton
Bean/Fleury/McKeown

Reactions: MinJerkBen

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
A hunch.
1) They tried hard to trade him this past off-season, so they clearly wanted to move him. I think they'll try again as they have too much money tied up in defense (and Faulk has the highest salary at $6M even though his cap hit is less. Real $$$ matter more to Carolina).
2) He'll have been with the team 9 years by then and if he has another solid season, it will be his best, and probably only, chance to get a big payday in UFA.
3) I don't think the Canes owner will want to pay him top dollar to stay, particularly with new contracts to Aho, Ferland (or replacement), Svech (in another year), a goalie, etc.
4) Faulk and Hamilton are "ok" at defense, but are good goal scorers. Pesce is the only "defensive" RHD they have.

In 2 years, I think the Canes will have something like:

Slavin-Pesce
CDH - Hamilton
Bean/Fleury/McKeown

Makes sense to me, I think Ferland will be moving along as well, as they were afraid of the term/$ with him by the sounds of it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The problem is folks just think other teams are going to give up their core players, even if the trade value is fair.

Faulk looks clearly the odd man out in Carolina, and the they’ve got no reason to move Peace. I’d wonder if the leafs would have any interest in Faulk, though the piece would have to be on the cheaper side I suppose

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
I think the playoff results will determine if the Canes really make a push for another high end forward. If they score well but get out-goal tended that is not going to fuel the need to add a better forward with Nino, Svech and TT playing as well as they are. Right now I am not looking at Carolina as the most likely trading partner.

I think the playoffs results will determine if we keep Nylander. Another playoff of being soft, bailing on hits, let the other guy go in the corner first etc. And he is out of here. I hope we see a different Nylander sort of like Pasternak who hits fights for pucks and scores. Interesting to watch that develope.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Would you do Nylander for a top 2 dman ?
right side, yup in a New York minute, I'd also be happy to get Pesce + for him, Pesce would instantly become the best RHD on the Leafs, signed to a sweet contract with good term, leaving plenty on the table to resign Kappy and Johnsson, might even be able to resign Gard's if he's willing to take a team friendly deal. Instantly solves lots of problem while drastically improving team depth.

Reactions: ToneDog

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Too bad we couldnt get enough cap space cause watching Panarin tonight in a meaningful game he was lights out and a difference maker.

Imagune dealimg Nylander and zeitzev in a package not taking any money on. Then signing panarin. M

Panarin and Matthews then Tavres and Marner oh boy lol

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Pretty much every UFAs they signed the last few years were over paid.
Gagner, Del Zotto, Beagle, Erickasson, Rousell.... the only one that really didn’t overpaid was Vanek.

Same scenario with us - Marleau & Zaitsev. Then there's our ELC signings which I'm glad we don't have to get into.

Looks like JB likes to give out $3m contracts. That's weird. Eriksson contract looks bad of course but was signed back in 2106 following a 63 point season. Lou hit 73 point & Qty 2 71 point seasons in years previous to that. But that's a bad contract for sure now. Is it they have to overpay, or their manager paying too much? They still have to dump some bad salaries for sure, but I see that as a GM issue.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Too bad we couldnt get enough cap space cause watching Panarin tonight in a meaningful game he was lights out and a difference maker.

Imagune dealimg Nylander and zeitzev in a package not taking any money on. Then signing panarin. M

Panarin and Matthews then Tavres and Marner oh boy lol

This is one that drives me nuts thinking about because the leafs are apparently one of the teams he is interested in

Imagine a hypothetical of panarin in as ufa, then nylander to st Louis for parayko

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Same scenario with us - Marleau & Zaitsev. Then there's our ELC signings which I'm glad we don't have to get into.

Looks like JB likes to give out $3m contracts. That's weird. Eriksson contract looks bad of course but was signed back in 2106 following a 63 point season. Lou hit 73 point & Qty 2 71 point seasons in years previous to that. But that's a bad contract for sure now. Is it they have to overpay, or their manager paying too much? They still have to dump some bad salaries for sure, but I see that as a GM issue.

Yes, you can say JB was the one who offered those deals but those guys are pretty much bottom 6 fwds beside Vanek. I can understand paying for 1 or 2 for leadership or Gud pro... but not fill 4-5 of your bottom 6 with them esp when you are rebuilding.
Also those guys signed with the Nucks not bc they believe in their rebuild(which Nucks didn’t admit till last year) but bc Nucks offered them the highest contract.

As for Marleau, Hainsey and Zai.
Zai choosed to sign with the Leafs when other teams were pursuing him out of KHL. At that point in time, all teams could only offer ELC contract.
After Hainsey SC run with the Pens, I really doubt Leafs was the only team offering 2yrs 3mil/yr contract.
Same apply to Marleau too bc we might think Leafs offered the most....but I think he weighted in his options and decided on the Leafs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad