GDT: Free Agency 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Only problem with Zibanejad is what do you do in 3 years? Re-sign to a big contract if the Rangesr windows is open? What does their C depth look like? Could besome tough decisions
Because of our recent signing, our window is likely over in three years. Zib can be a TDL rental.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We could use Boyle’s leadership, no matter how much some may want to downplay that.

Boyle can also score some goals, and is good on the PK as well. So it's not just the leadership thing. Would love him back.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Uhh, I know it’s not the majority of people here that don’t realize this, but signing Panarin means Gorton intends for our window to be sooner rather than later.

Zibanejad won’t be traded for futures. He’s part of the core.

Which is where I'm having difficulty, What is the point of signing a contract as they did yesterday to wait for up to two years for the other none ideal stuff to go away, while waiting on the entry levels to also go away?

Do they really think Panarin is going to be a top line player until he is 34 and all they stockpiled is going to fit under the cap as it gets more expensive?

Panarin, Zbad and Trouba either are a giant part of their timeline, or they are not. If they are they should be adding to them. If they are not then why did they acquire the two who were not already here?

Reactions: Avery16

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Which is where I'm having difficulty, What is the point of signing a contract as they did yesterday to wait for up to two years for the other none ideal stuff to go away, while waiting on the entry levels to also go away?

Do they really think Panarin is going to be a top line player until he is 34 and all they stockpiled is going to fit under the cap as it gets more expensive?

Panarin, Zbad and Trouba either are a giant part of their timeline, or they are not. If they are they should be adding to them. If they are not then why did they acquire the two who were not already here?

Can we get more than 24 hours out from a signing in 2019 before we start having panic attacks about the year 2022?

The Rangers haven't been flying blind to this point, I don't think everyone suddenly started guessing yesterday.

Last edited:

Moon Knight

Aug 15, 2012
Because of our recent signing, our window is likely over in three years. Zib can be a TDL rental.
The Rangers window hasn't even opened yet. Kakko and Kravtsov haven't even played a game in the NHL yet and we don't know exactly what caliber of players we have for the majority of the team.
There's still lots of question marks around players like Chytil, Howden, Kravtsov, Fox, etc. Let's just enjoy the ride for now and watch how they develop.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I don't know where to put this but I've been thinking about this.

If you read the main boards and some posts here you'd think the Rangers were an utterly mediocre team that had a HOF goalie carry them in 2013-14 and 2014-15. But a lot of those guys that made up the mediocre team and some other guys were traded for in a very promising rebuild. If those teams were such garbage would we be able to get so many solid draft picks for those players? It doesn't hurt that we seem to have drafted well and that some players forced their way into here. But just think about it, we got so many assets for a supposedly garbage team.

Your first mistake was going to the main boards.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Now that's we've spent our allowance, it's all about rival teams not getting their players or overpaying them.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Maybe signing Panarin had more complications than people are willing to admit?

no I think that was always going to be a question with Zibanejad. Sign him or let him walk, etc. Always going to be an evaluation of where the team was at at that point

Reactions: Leetch3

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Who knew adding ~20M in cap space, assuming they sign Trouba, after two deadline sell offs would cause concerns that they are going right back to where they were.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Windows are a stupid concept. You predefine a period where a team can win based on today's knowledge and the little you can predict about tomorrow. That's "the window". Then some unforseen things happen, some moves are made, the CBA changes, etc., and it all goes out the f***ing window. Discussion of windows is all conjecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad