GDT: Free agency 2014 Part III - We got older, bring on the walkers

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
But wasn't Poile basically asked if he wanted to do the pick deal or the player deal? If he had prefered the pick deal, Pens would have made the player deal with the Avs instead. That's the way it sounded to me. But Poile had first dibs on the player deal. I imagine they prefered Hornqvist over Parenteau.

Edit: I mean, it's not like he doesn't stop talking about Neal with other teams just cause he is discussing Neals name with the Preds. Especially if you are shopping a player like he was.

Yeah, I guess you could interpret that video a couple different ways. Rutherford saying picks aside could mean not including the picks in the Neal deal or picks aside could mean an entire deal just for picks aside, would you do the player deal instead. Hard to tell but pretty interesting stuff.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Hypothetically...

Would you rather have James Neal or Danny Briere + Conner Bleackley?

I think its more Neal or Bleackley + Iginla. The PAP dumping was its own thing. Neal would have been the top 6 forward to replace Stastny. I still do not buy at all that the Avs were looking at any Iggy and Stastny scenario. Neal had 5x4 left on his contract, the Avs were not adding two ~5m contracts this year.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I think its more Neal or Bleackley + Iginla. The PAP dumping was its own thing. Neal would have been the top 6 forward to replace Stastny. I still do not buy at all that the Avs were looking at any Iggy and Stastny scenario. Neal had 5x4 left on his contract, the Avs were not adding two ~5m contracts this year.

I dont think we would have made the Stuart deal. Just added a cheaper defenseman instead and been more careful about trading another 2nd after just moving a 1st.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't know, not having a first or second in the draft would have been rough. Plus it didn't cost anything to get Iginla.

So it would have been PAP + 23 (Bleackley) for Neal and then they would have gone out and paid 4m or under for a 3rd liner. So either Neal + mystery 3rd liner or Iginla + Bleackley + Briere.

Last edited:

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I don't know, not having a first or second in the draft would have been rough. Plus it didn't cost anything to get Iginla.

I think we would have went for him. Since we didn't have Briere. Just to replace the points that we lose in Stastny basically.

O'Reilly - Duchene - Iggy
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Neal
McGinn - Mitchell - Tanguay maybe?

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
I think we would have went for him. Since we didn't have Briere. Just to replace the points that we lose in Stastny basically.

That's actually a phenomenal top 9. Jesus.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

So it would have been PAP + 23 (Bleackley) for Neal and then they would have gone out and paid 4m or under for a 3rd liner. So either Neal + mystery 3rd liner or Iginla + Bleackley + Briere.

Pens fans seem to think it was Spaling+Hornqvist+11 for Neal+22+23. And the Avs had a seperate deal in place for #23 to Pens. Maybe involving Sutter to the Avs.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Don't think the money works out. Neal 5, Iggy 5.3, ROR have to assume at least 6, Stuart 3.6. How are you going to pay Barrie and what about the QO to Elliott?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Pens fans seem to think it was Spaling+Hornqvist+11 for Neal+22+23. And the Avs had a seperate deal in place for #23 to Pens. Maybe involving Sutter to the Avs.

I don't think so, I heard the video. We know the Avs offered the Pens a pick and PAP for Neal. The Pens offered the Preds either the picks deal or the Neal deal.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
I think they're trying to use slower as a synonym for older. It's lazy. It is true sometimes and maybe even most of the time, but it isnt in this case.

Avs were "too young" last year. They get older now they're "too slow". Just media nonsense. Prime example why awards like the Norris/Selke/Vezina/Calder are truly meaningless. They don't watch these teams play. He probably is basing the team on the 3 or 4 wild/avs games he watched in the playoffs. The Avs get faster simply by transitioning MacK to center and playing him more.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I already said I dont think we make the deal for Stuart if we do that.

And then what, just sign Benoit? They were in on every FA defenseman, they were ready to pay 3-4+ for that position. I think from Sakic's comments it was pretty clear they were going to add ONE top 6 forward. They would not have put Tanguay on the third line. PAP was getting moved out because he can't play on the third line, that's what he said.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
And then what, just sign Benoit? They were in on every FA defenseman, they were ready to pay 3-4+ for that position. I think from Sakic's comments it was pretty clear they were going to add ONE top 6 forward. They would not have put Tanguay on the third line. PAP was getting moved out because he can't play on the third line, that's what he said.

Same doesn't have to go for Tanguay does it?

Maybe they just sign another six figure defenseman. But I dont think we make that deal for Stuart if we keep Stastny. (But still go for Iggy).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wow, McClement signed a one year $1M deal in Carolina? Why the hell would Toronto let him go for that?

No room for him now, but would have been great to bring him back. He sure has shorted himself dollar wise the last few years since he left the Avs.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Wow, McClement signed a one year $1M deal in Carolina? Why the hell would Toronto let him go for that?

No room for him now, but would have been great to bring him back. He sure has shorted himself dollar wise the last few years since he left the Avs.

Whats all this love for McClement all the fans can't stop bragging about on here since he left the Avs

McClement: 81GP - 10P minus 8

Winchester: 52GP - 18P minus 2

Also Winchester played on a worse team.

Avs gotta better bottom 6 player in Winchester

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Whats all this love for McClement all the fans can't stop bragging about on here since he left the Avs

Yeah, points and +/- shows who is the better defensive center in a bottom six.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

AD is that you?

I'm fine with Winchester, but McClement is a clear cut better defensive and offensive player. It's not really that close.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I dont want to open the can of worms that is the debate about +/-. But MacKinnon was +20 last year and O'Reilly was -1. It doesn't tell the full story.

It's a line stat more than an individual stat and it has quite a bit of good/bad luck involved (shooting and save percentage).

Landeskog Stastny MacKinnon
O'Reilly Duchene McGinn/Parenteau

Suddenly the +/- numbers for MacKinnon and O'Reilly aren't that strange anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad