GDT: Free Agency 2014 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
I still don't fully understand why so many people want him on this team.

He's the hockey version of DJack. They're not going to win anything with players like that on the team. They just cause more bad to team morale and chemistry than they do good on the ice.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Simmonds should stay strictly in front of the net. He's one of the best in business at it so kind of pointless taking him out of there & putting him in more of a pure shooting position.

We need someone who can shoot the puck, provide an extra screen, & retrieve the puck like Hartnell did. I think Schenn could be an option as well as possibly Couturier. Schenn needs to get stronger along the board/on the puck & Couturier needs to be more consistent with shooting so they do come with some potential downsides at the moment.

Couturier is the one I would like to see tried out in Hartnell's spot on the PP. He is a big body that can shield defenders and he does have a good shot when given the opportunity.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Couturier is the one I would like to see tried out in Hartnell's spot on the PP. He is a big body that can shield defenders and he does have a good shot when given the opportunity.

He does have a good shot but unfortunately these past few years it has only come alive for a few game stretches. He needs to get more consistent with it as I mentioned in the other post.

Ideally you want Schenn there since he can shoot it better & has the ability to get them greasy goals as well but his drawback is his strength in regards to puck retrieval.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Well in other news someone bumped the Giroux thread with his new contact and people still think he is not a top 10 player in the league..... I feel like people watch a completely different game than me sometimes.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska

While I agree in your assessment, that leaves the second unit with:

Schenn-Vinny-Umberger
Kimmo-Read?

That unit would be abysmal. Not that Couturier would make or break the second unit, but one flaw of this team from last year, was when the second unit was on the ice, and their inability to do anything positive. I think Vinny and Schenn need to stay split up, so one of them should be on the first unit. I'm hoping Schenn can learn how to do what Hartnell did.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Toews and Kane at 10.8 per yr for 8 years. Wow!

I heard Toews and Kane are going to sign at 10.8 million per year for 8 years.
Wow! Good deal or bad for Chicago, the NHL, what does it mean for Philly ? Just curious.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well in other news someone bumped the Giroux thread with his new contact and people still think he is not a top 10 player in the league..... I feel like people watch a completely different game than me sometimes.

That TorNsh guy is such a pathetic troll. :laugh: Every time Giroux is brought up he has to keep insisting that he's not a top 10 forward...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

As I said in there before the lock, #1 in points and #5 in points per game this decade.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
He does have a good shot but unfortunately these past few years it has only come alive for a few game stretches. He needs to get more consistent with it as I mentioned in the other post.

Ideally you want Schenn there since he can shoot it better & has the ability to get them greasy goals as well but his drawback is his strength in regards to puck retrieval.

Couturier really wasn't put in a good position to succeed offensively yet, but he shown glimpses. Him in that spot he would get a lot of chances and grow some confidence hopefully. I would at least like to see how well he could do for about eight games or so there.

Schenn on the other hand I would like in Simmonds spot on the second pp unit. Like you said he does get those greasy goals and he isn't afraid to get knocked around a bit.

Something like Kimmo on the back end, Read/Vinny on the sides, Schenn up front and chest snipe in the middle (Umby).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Couturier really wasn't put in a good position to succeed offensively yet, but he shown glimpses. Him in that spot he would get a lot of chances and grow some confidence hopefully. I would at least like to see how well he could do for about eight games or so there.

Schenn on the other hand I would like in Simmonds spot on the second pp unit. Like you said he does get those greasy goals and he isn't afraid to get knocked around a bit.

Something like Kimmo on the back end, Read/Vinny on the sides, Schenn up front and chest snipe in the middle (Umby).

I'm strictly talking about his shot not the rest of his offensive game.

You wouldn't be utilizing Schenn's shot by putting him strictly in front of the net. He can get the greasy goals but that's sort of an added bonus on top of that.

Umberger actually played in front of the net in Columbus last year. He had 8PP goals but that was all with their top unit which was pretty good so not sure if he could replicate that but I would wager that's where he'll go on the second unit.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm strictly talking about his shot not the rest of his offensive game.

You wouldn't be utilizing Schenn's shot by putting him strictly in front of the net. He can get the greasy goals but that's sort of an added bonus on top of that.

Umberger actually played in front of the net in Columbus last year. He had 8PP goals but that was all with their top unit which was pretty good so not sure if he could replicate that but I would wager that's where he'll go on the second unit.

During the WC this year Schenn was in that spot on the PP and he looked really good.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
Well one thing that Kane is consistently good at is creating controversy.

He's a fast, physical, good player.
One thing you can't question is the guys heart, he gives his all every shift.
Yeah he might want out of Winnepeg, that's his own right.. he produces on the ice.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011

Agree. I don't think Couturier's shot is consistently accurate enough yet. Too often ends up right in the basket or wide. Not going to be top shelf in the corners all the time, but it needs to be consistently threatening to draw first pp time imo.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He's 22 years old, and shuffled around the line up. Put him on a good club with structure and watch his talent take over.

I assume this is after he's been traded because his media feuds and fanbase disgust over his antics have run him out of town. Again.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I hope couts gets real PP time. He needs a opportunity to get his O game going and he will run with it. Id like him to anchor the second unit to start the season.

IM hoping Kane finally holds out and gives a list of teams he wants to go to. That way we can get him for the best deal. Not all holdouts are bad. I believe Primeau was a holdout.

Kanes talents, fit here in philly, and contract are too great to ignore. He would be a great addition.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Is anyone going to the Flyers Town Hall Meeting tonight? If so, please post cliff notes. It would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad