GDT: Free Agency 2014. 12:00 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
We're 1.2 over the cap. We don't even have 12 forwards signed yet unless Hextall expects players from the Phantoms to step up.

We have no contracts expiring next season aside from Timonen. We have a ton of players with NTC's and multiple players on the decline in production with unmovable high contracts.

This team is in trouble.

yup. :cry:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
We're 1.2 over the cap. We don't even have 12 forwards signed yet unless Hextall expects players from the Phantoms to step up.

We have no contracts expiring next season aside from Timonen. We have a ton of players with NTC's and multiple players on the decline in production with unmovable high contracts.

This team is in trouble.

They are not in trouble. They have a better roster than last year and still have room to sign a player if they choose to start the season exceeding the cap.

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
who is going to score? theres no 1st line wing and has our old expensive defense gotten any better? no it hasn't

Old expensive defense is going to play the string out until young talent develops. I expect Ghost to have a good camp and get sent to the minors, and then next year I think Ghost and Haag will both be ready.

Question on Vinny - what do people think about the odds of the Flyers dealing him and retaining salary vs. just keeping him?

El Emperor

Apr 2, 2010
Woodstown, NJ
I think we all need to get used to the fact that we now have a GM that is willing to not make moves to improve the team in the long run. No more of these ridiculous deals that do nothing to get us closer to a cup, but only guarantee a playoff appearance and a 1st or 2nd round loss, not to mention, no chance at a lottery pick.

While I am not one of those people that will commend teams like the Penguins and Blackhawks that sucked for years and built a team with high picks year after year, if it takes one (or MAYBE two) below average season to get this team back to being an annual contender, I'm okay with it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
who is going to score? theres no 1st line wing and has our old expensive defense gotten any better? no it hasn't

You really think putting BSchenn in as 1LW and on the top PP unit is going to mean this team can't score?

He got 40 points playing with Vinny but he can't get 50 like Hartnell did playing with Giroux?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

There are six players on this roster that scored 20 goals last year. That is not an issue with this team.

Defense is not any worse than it was last year either.

Just natural growth from Couturier and Schenn will make this team better. I'm annoyed we didn't improve on Emery, but stop acting like this team is necessarily going to be worse than it was last year.

If we can improve upon Hall and Rinaldo, I will be quite optimistic. If we don't, I'll be very pissed.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I think we all need to get used to the fact that we now have a GM that is willing to not make moves to improve the team in the long run. No more of these ridiculous deals that do nothing to get us closer to a cup, but only guarantee a playoff appearance and a 1st or 2nd round loss, not to mention, no chance at a lottery pick.

While I am not one of those people that will commend teams like the Penguins and Blackhawks that sucked for years and built a team with high picks year after year, if it takes one (or MAYBE two) below average season to get this team back to being an annual contender, I'm okay with it.

Don't really see how the team's gotten worse.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There are six players on this roster that scored 20 goals last year. That is not an issue with this team.

Defense is not any worse than it was last year either.

Defense is better. MacDonald is an upgrade over Gus and Mez.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
They are not in trouble. They have a better roster than last year and still have room to sign a player if they choose to start the season exceeding the cap.

How? Nothing's changed except Hartnell being "replaced" by Umberger. There's still plenty of time for things to change but as of right now it's basically the same thing as last year.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia

This isn't a lottery team, though. Our forward core is generally pretty solid. If Schenn can click with Giroux and Voracek, and Couts can take the next step offensively, we may even be better than we were last year. If Laughton can come up and contribute, and our bottom 6 starts shaping up at some point, there's even more of a chance to improve.

Then it's just about developing the defensive prospects we already have.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Brad Richards signs, Englenad gets 3 mill, Mezz gets 4 mill, Orpik gets 5.5 mill, and we can't dump Gross or Vinny. They must be considered worthless around the league.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
You really think putting BSchenn in as 1LW and on the top PP unit is going to mean this team can't score?

He got 40 points playing with Vinny but he can't get 50 like Hartnell did playing with Giroux?

i understand that we had 7, 20 goal scorers, but I watched this team struggle with scoring from time to time last season. Puck possession and speed were also a HUGE issue for flyers, none of that has been resolved yet "I know I know Umberger is faster than Hartnell" still not an upgrade. Schenn may be able to score but he's not a pure goal scorer. We have too many grinding forwards. don't get too amped for this team the way it is right now

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Bryan Murray just said they need a center that is "proven" even if isn't similar to Spezza. He said they're more inclined to fill this hole through trade rather than through free agency.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
How? Nothing's changed except Hartnell being "replaced" by Umberger.

You also have MacDonald replacing Gus and Mez, and Laughton, Raffl, Akeson & PEB available instead of having to ice the worst 4th line in the league of Rosehill-Hall-Rinaldo.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=684843

FORWARDS (12)
#10 - Brayden Schenn
#14 - Sean Couturier
#17 - Wayne Simmonds
#19 - Scott Hartnell
#21 - Scott Laughton
#24 - Matt Read
#25 - Max Talbot
#28 - Claude Giroux
#36 - Zac Rinaldo
#37 - Jay Rosehill