Fredrik Olofsson

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
We also just haven't had a lot of great 4C's over the years outside of Helm and Belly. A lot of fringe NHLers. I thought Wagner was ok years ago, but he didn't stay long.
Psst...Take a look at the bottom of the screen capture. With a little good health luck we could, as Jimmy Buffett sang, Bring Back the Magic.

Screenshot 2023-12-27 132605.png

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Psst...Take a look at the bottom of the screen capture. We can, as Jimmy Buffett sang, Bring Back the Magic.

View attachment 790987

Haha, yeah I knew they signed him. He's a little older now, and unfortunately also tore his Achilles in camp.

Probably behind at least Pavel too, who I think might have seen more action, but they've been (knock on wood) relatively healthy at C this year.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Haha, yeah I knew they signed him. He's a little older now, and unfortunately also tore his Achilles in camp.

Probably behind at least Pavel too, who I think might have seen more action, but they've been (knock on wood) relatively healthy at C this year.

Avs needed another Jesse Winchester, speaking of legendary Avs 4th line centers.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
We also just haven't had a lot of great 4C's over the years outside of Helm and Belly. A lot of fringe NHLers. I thought Wagner was ok years ago, but he didn't stay long.
John Mitchell was a good yet unconventional 4C imo throw him between two grinders and he’ll still make some nice plays. Jay McClement was an ideal 4C but Avs barely had him

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
John Mitchell was a good yet unconventional 4C imo throw him between two grinders and he’ll still make some nice plays. Jay McClement was an ideal 4C but Avs barely had him

Yeah, Mitchell was definitely one of the best, but that was a while ago, and only the last year or so of his career. Before that he was mainly a 3rd liner IIRC.

Jay McLement also very good, especially at faceoffs, but was only with the Avs a year or so. Maybe that's enough for me to rank him higher though.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
McClement was an excellent defensive forward, no offense to speak of but he was very trustworthy as a 4C.

Johnny Malkin was nowhere near as good defensively of course but was much better offensively. Also one of the more fun players the Avs ever had for good and bad reasons.
Wow...forgot about Silent Jay. Part of the EJ trade if I remember correctly...

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Jay McClement was an absolute hero and I was heartbroken when he left. We've never replaced him.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I feel really bad for him playing last night less than 5 minutes because you are stapled with Dermy and an AHL call up playing his 1st NHL game.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Jay McClement was an absolute hero and I was heartbroken when he left. We've never replaced him.
What? He was ok but nothing special at all and had zero offense to his game. He is and was vastly overrated around here.

We've replaced him multiple times with Bellemare and most recently with Helm, who played 10x better for us and was clutch in our run to the cup.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
What? He was ok but nothing special at all and had zero offense to his game. He is and was vastly overrated around here.

We've replaced him multiple times with Bellemare and most recently with Helm, who played 10x better for us and was clutch in our run to the cup.
Bellemare was nowhere near as good and Helm was a completely different kind of player. McClement was one of if not the best defensive forward in the league for several seasons.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Bellemare was nowhere near as good and Helm was a completely different kind of player. McClement was one of if not the best defensive forward in the league for several seasons.
Hahahaha best defensive forward in the league? Definitely not for the Avs. Maybe he was a bit better in St. Louis I didn't follow him too closely when he was with them.

Oh gosh he really was way overrated around here. Helm was a far better 4C than McClement.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
Hahahaha best defensive forward in the league? Definitely not for the Avs. Maybe he was a bit better in St. Louis I didn't follow him too closely when he was with them.

Oh gosh he really was way overrated around here. Helm was a far better 4C than McClement.

Helm was insane in the playoffs which made up for a meh regular season. So yeah, I’d put Helm over every other 4C we’ve had because of that playoff run. I was never the biggest Bellemare fan, I’d rather McClement over him.

The Brit is right, McClement was good

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Helm was insane in the playoffs which made up for a meh regular season. So yeah, I’d put Helm over every other 4C we’ve had because of that playoff run. I was never the biggest Bellemare fan, I’d rather McClement over him.

Yeah. I really thought nothing of Helm during the regular season, but I swear to god that man flipped a switch his first shift in the playoffs and was just a complete stud. I never saw that coming and was tickled freaking pink.

Not many Red Wings that I like. I've respected the hell out of a lot of them over the years, but actually liked? Helm's now my favorite and one of a few. For some reason I've always loved Federov... but I also always liked Paul Coffey and Lucky Luc even though their careers included stints in the Motor City.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

What is “meh” for a 4th liner?

He was great for this franchise. Go take one look at how LOC looked killing penalties to how he looks now. That guy taught him and at least a couple others on the team (JTC in particular) how it’s done. Even with his flaws (dude was skating on a barely functional spine) he still managed to be a contributor, especially in the postseason.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
What is “meh” for a 4th liner?

He was great for this franchise. Go take one look at how LOC looked killing penalties to how he looks now. That guy taught him and at least a couple others on the team (JTC in particular) how it’s done. Even with his flaws (dude was skating on a barely functional spine) he still managed to be a contributor, especially in the postseason.
I'm sure Helm helped as well, but LoC looked good PKing before Helm joined the team. If anyone mentored him on how to PK, it was most likely Calvert.

Reactions: cinchronicity

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm sure Helm helped as well, but LoC looked good PKing before Helm joined the team. If anyone mentored him on how to PK, it was most likely Calvert.
No he didn't. He missed coverages, got caught down low too often and left the points wide open, and he didn't convert shorthanded chances NEARLY as much as he does now. Once he started playing alongside Helm it was a sea change. And he's taken it to the next level this season.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
No he didn't. He missed coverages, got caught down low too often and left the points wide open, and he didn't convert shorthanded chances NEARLY as much as he does now. Once he started playing alongside Helm it was a sea change. And he's taken it to the next level this season.
That's a bunch of hog wash. LoC built his reputation on the PK, speed and forchecking long before Helm came along. You can say he's improved now, but he was never as bad as you just described.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That's a bunch of hog wash. LoC built his reputation on the PK, speed and forchecking long before Helm came along. You can say he's improved now, but he was never as bad as you just described.
He wasn't absolutely terrible at it, but he had some huge flaws (and no surprise the PK struggled at times as a result). He became worlds better after Helm. We'll just agree to disagree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad