Confirmed with Link: Frederik Gauthier signs a 2 year 2-way contract

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
"Among Leafs' forwards, he leads in hits per 60 minutes by a large margin."

How much of a hot take does it take to miss not 1 but 2 qualifiers in a single sentence?
I'm literally only pointing out that since he plays so little the amount of hits he throws per game are quite low. Even still he outhits all but 5 players that all play much more time than him with Muzzin being the only significant upgrade in hits. Wasn't trying to be a stats god and prove a hot take but I'm just pointing out he hits more than Leafs fans give him credit for especially when compared to the non-physical Leafs.

Why ya gotta respond like a butt? lol

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm literally only pointing out that since he plays so little the amount of hits he throws per game are quite low. Even still he outhits all but 5 players that all play much more time than him with Muzzin being the only significant upgrade in hits. Wasn't trying to be a stats god and prove a hot take but I'm just pointing out he hits more than Leafs fans give him credit for especially when compared to the non-physical Leafs.

Why ya gotta respond like a butt? lol

Not talking about you, talking to you about the post you were responding to.

edit: We appear to be on the same wavelength regarding the "Gauthier isn't physical narrative". I had an itchy trigger finger expecting pushback on my post...

Last edited:

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
This feels like a bit much. He's still a below-average stick-handler with below-average speed. Luckily he can cycle well and is defensively able. Surprised we're not using him more in a PK role, but perhaps he's not fleet-of-foot enough for Babcock to put him in that situation.

I can't imagine Gauthier will ever break 10 goals in an NHL season, which Boyle has done 7 times. In fact, Gauthier never did that in the AHL either.

He's a serviceable 12th-13th forward. Let's not overstate things.
Wholeheartedly agree with this- handling the puck, lateral movement and general skating is well below current NHL level, not to mention he plays like he’s 5’6, 125.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
He just needs to have a greater understanding of why he has an NHL job and what a 6'6" frame with limited skill should be used for. A mean Gauthier out there in a Brian Boyle capacity to throw out as a disruptive force would earn more ice time and be more effective than centering an energy line where he doesn't provide any energy. I feel like they need to give him forechecking orders to complete every hit on the offense and don't be afraid to hack and slash.
Not just throwing the body around but Boyle was very effective in corners, used his reach, and could protect the puck and you knew he was on the ice

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Wholeheartedly agree with this- handling the puck, lateral movement and general skating is well below current NHL level, not to mention he plays like he’s 5’6, 125.

No he doesn't. False narrative. Watch a game, look at hits rate. Yes, his puck skills are mediocre but his skating is quite decent.

Reactions: Luminiferous

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Not just throwing the body around but Boyle was very effective in corners, used his reach, and could protect the puck and you knew he was on the ice

There's only one Leafs' forward within about 20% of Boyle's hits per 60 minutes rate: Freddy Gauthier. And he costs <1/3 of what Boyle costs.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
No he doesn't. False narrative. Watch a game, look at hits rate. Yes, his puck skills are mediocre but his skating is quite decent.
Definitely doesn't play like 5'6" at all. He's got the reach and enough physicality to show teams that they need to at least be aware of the yeti on the ice. I wish he was capable of doing more but... what do we really need him to do more than he is? Plays 8 mins, chips in a point or two every so often, is positive on draws, and does provide some size regardless of his abilities. I think a cheap 4th line C that seems competent at his role is perfect for this team going into next year.

Reactions: JustAShadow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad