Confirmed with Link: Frederik Gauthier signs a 2 year 2-way contract

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't get how Gauthier can bring so little physicality. I get that he doesn't have much of a mean streak, but even if his marching orders were to complete the hit on every play even in a mechanical way, he'd be way more effective. The gentle giant game just doesn't really work all that well.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't get how Gauthier can bring so little physicality. I get that he doesn't have much of a mean streak, but even if his marching orders were to complete the hit on every play even in a mechanical way, he'd be way more effective. The gentle giant game just doesn't really work all that well.
He leads the leafs in hits per game

Reactions: Keon1963

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

He plays as small as his linemates. Terrible waste of a frame.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
To tall for #!@$ all is what I'm hearing. Might be true, with his size you do increase the chance for skull shots. Might also be he knows following threw on every hit will take you out of the play more often.

Reactions: Keon1963

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It’s always what’s frustrated me about him.

He doesn’t have the skating or the puck skills to play a finesse game. He has this massive frame, and if he was more physical he could be really effective 4th liner. But I doubt that will happen.

His overall game has looked better though, no argument there

Reactions: Mork

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
To tall for #!@$ all is what I'm hearing. Might be true, with his size you do increase the chance for skull shots. Might also be he knows following threw on every hit will take you out of the play more often.

But Gauthier is usually the least effective player on the ice, so if he took out a guy 1 on 1 in a big hit, that would be a net positive for the Leafs.

Reactions: ForzaZuffa

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He's looked passable with Moore and Ennis. It's kind of his gig by default, after Kadri we have no center depth, particularly a 4th line type.

I'd like to see some fire from the guy, he's always the same, meh.

Reactions: Sinkkunaattori

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It’s always what’s frustrated me about him.

He doesn’t have the skating or the puck skills to play a finesse game. He has this massive frame, and if he was more physical he could be really effective 4th liner. But I doubt that will happen.

His overall game has looked better though, no argument there

He just needs to have a greater understanding of why he has an NHL job and what a 6'6" frame with limited skill should be used for. A mean Gauthier out there in a Brian Boyle capacity to throw out as a disruptive force would earn more ice time and be more effective than centering an energy line where he doesn't provide any energy. I feel like they need to give him forechecking orders to complete every hit on the offense and don't be afraid to hack and slash.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
But Gauthier is usually the least effective player on the ice, so if he took out a guy 1 on 1 in a big hit, that would be a net positive for the Leafs.

He just needs to have a greater understanding of why he has an NHL job and what a 6'6" frame with limited skill should be used for. A mean Gauthier out there in a Brian Boyle capacity to throw out as a disruptive force would earn more ice time and be more effective than centering an energy line where he doesn't provide any energy. I feel like they need to give him forechecking orders to complete every hit on the offense and don't be afraid to hack and slash.
both make very good points. Thank you.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Atm Fred needs to play with urgency like his next contract depends on it. That's probably easier to do if, in fact, that's true.

No long term deals yet.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Goat is better than given credit. He blocks potential plays all night long. He is not some offensive visionary. He is the counter to that. With good wings his like offers safe minutes plus some offense.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Goat is better than given credit. He blocks potential plays all night long. He is not some offensive visionary. He is the counter to that. With good wings his like offers safe minutes plus some offense.

He’s getting closer on his offensive chances as well. Will never be a dynamo scorer but is finally showing some instinct around the net with deflections and shots as few as they are. Be a shame to see a guy that big go elsewhere at 25 or 26 and become a better than decent 4th liner after all the work put into him. Big boys sometimes take a while

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He’s getting closer on his offensive chances as well. Will never be a dynamo scorer but is finally showing some instinct around the net with deflections and shots as few as they are. Be a shame to see a guy that big go elsewhere at 25 or 26 and become a better than decent 4th liner after all the work put into him. Big boys sometimes take a while

I liked the pick then, thought he may turn into a good 3C but he is a fine 4C in my eyes. You're right about big guys taking a bit longer too, it's so true. Goat was very awkward looking at 19, posture was a mess. Looking nice now.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
For his price tag it's better than spending money on potential UFA C's making double.

Other than that though, if he doesn't show improvement next year, I'd offer him another 1-2 year deal at close to a million.

If he takes it, cool, if not he can go elsewhere and the leafs have internal replacements.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
It was just one game, but I found the fourth line rather ineffective against Vancouver. Freddy may not bring the big hits, but he is very good at using his body and reach to close off players along the boards and help get a cycle going. I'd much rather see Petan rotate out with Ennis. Moore and Freddy have shown some decent chemistry as well.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Goat is a really smart centre, who has great puck support for his wingers. His positioning, and defensive and offensive zone awareness are some of his strengths. He has a good, active stick that gets into lanes and creates turnovers for his speedy wingers to jump onto. I do agree that adding an element of physicality to his game would help him to win more puck battles perhaps, but I think that for the style he plays it isn't absolutely necessary, because his lines tend to do well on the cycle anyways. Personally I am happy with him, Ennis, and Moore as the 4th line for a playoff run. Petan definitely has the flash, offensive skills, and extra skating jump, but that is less needed than the reliable positioning of Gauthier when you have two sparkplugs like Ennis & Moore

Reactions: OVO16

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Gauthier not playing physical? Do you actually watch any games? You don't know what you're talking about. He's a limited player and can fall back into passive defending in the defensive end but sorry he's easily the Leafs' most physical forward. And he doesn't take a bunch of stupid penalties doing it.

Among Leafs' forwards, he leads in hits per 60 minutes by a large margin.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
You are correct but to be fair if you did these statistics for hits/60 then he would easily lead. Muzzin more than doubles his minutes and has 1.0 more hits a game. Really if all players played the same amount then he'd lead our team. It's still pretty decent to average 1.3 hits a game over roughly 8 minutes of ice time.

Also, with the way that Ennis-Gaut-Moore play, they seem to chip in enough offensively for me to give them a pass for not being a bruising line but more of a tenacity and cycle line. Love me some Mooresy

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
You are correct but to be fair if you did these statistics for hits/60 then he would easily lead. Muzzin more than doubles his minutes and has 1.0 more hits a game. Really if all players played the same amount then he'd lead our team. It's still pretty decent to average 1.3 hits a game over roughly 8 minutes of ice time.

Also, with the way that Ennis-Gaut-Moore play, they seem to chip in enough offensively for me to give them a pass for not being a bruising line but more of a tenacity and cycle line. Love me some Mooresy

"Among Leafs' forwards, he leads in hits per 60 minutes by a large margin."

How much of a hot take does it take to miss not 1 but 2 qualifiers in a single sentence?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad