Confirmed with Link: Frederik Gauthier signs a 2 year 2-way contract

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
the Goat hasn't been good or bad , just basically blah which i guess isn't the worst thing

he needs to be more physical if he's going to be a black hole offensively if he wants to stick in the NHL

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Weirdly enough the clicker for me was seeing Gauthier in a few warm-up's last year with the Marlies. I have seen him live for a couple years now with the Marlies but it's like out of nowhere he developed way better coordination. I legitimately confused him with Matthews for a second the way he was handling pucks stationary in the pre-game. I have always said he looks way, way better when you watch him live for whatever reason; get a real good appreciation for his size and underrated finesse.

His skating over the past 12 months has improved more than any other point in his career. He worked like a madman after that Dotchin hit sidelined him and now he looks like a career NHLer moving forward. He has all the tools to be a Brian Boyle at this level, just needs to want it.

Reactions: Leafidelity and Eb

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
So should the Leafs lock up the Goat for 7 years, and avoid the Brian Boyle scenario?

10 million over 7 years, so 1.43 per season?
Fans on here would lose there minds so why not :DD

I like the Goat so I wouldn't be mad if they did this but does it make sense to go 7 years for this player when you don't have to? I don't think so 3 years is the most in term I would go with him.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There is nothing to do with Goat. He is signed for next year and that's the way it should be left. So how things go next season.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
He's good to have as a depth player but I'd like to see an upgrade there
Hopefully he can step it up and use his size more in theplayoffs

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I think if the Leafs waited until the new cap was announced, they'd have had to sign him 700+.

So, smart move to save soem cap space.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
So should the Leafs lock up the Goat for 7 years, and avoid the Brian Boyle scenario?

10 million over 7 years, so 1.43 per season?

Maybe you're being facetious but it's an interesting thought. A player with a very low ceiling but otherwise valued by an organization as a long term positive cog might be a candidate for a low value guaranteed deal. The Islanders just signed Ross Johnston to a 4 year $1M AAV contract so it's not completely unprecedented (although for a different type of player but Gauthier is the type of player replacing "tough guys"). I'm actually thinking the AAV discount could be a deeper cut in this case.

It could be an interesting approach to team building. Identify longer term support talent, lock them up at or near a fully buriable AAV. A $1M salary for 7 years is a terrific living for most of the population. For a pro athlete with lofty financial aspirations, it goes completely contrary to the type of risk-friendly personalities who become pro athletes.

Reactions: ULF_55

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The Goat will develop into a great 4th line Center on this team, and continue to sign cheap deals. This will prevent us from having to spend picks on acquiring center depth as we did the previous 2 TDL prior to this one.

That is a win for the Leafs of Gauthier if he can be their perennial 4th line center for the foreseeable future.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Weirdly enough the clicker for me was seeing Gauthier in a few warm-up's last year with the Marlies. I have seen him live for a couple years now with the Marlies but it's like out of nowhere he developed way better coordination. I legitimately confused him with Matthews for a second the way he was handling pucks stationary in the pre-game. I have always said he looks way, way better when you watch him live for whatever reason; get a real good appreciation for his size and underrated finesse.

His skating over the past 12 months has improved more than any other point in his career. He worked like a madman after that Dotchin hit sidelined him and now he looks like a career NHLer moving forward. He has all the tools to be a Brian Boyle at this level, just needs to want it.

This feels like a bit much. He's still a below-average stick-handler with below-average speed. Luckily he can cycle well and is defensively able. Surprised we're not using him more in a PK role, but perhaps he's not fleet-of-foot enough for Babcock to put him in that situation.

I can't imagine Gauthier will ever break 10 goals in an NHL season, which Boyle has done 7 times. In fact, Gauthier never did that in the AHL either.

He's a serviceable 12th-13th forward. Let's not overstate things.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
This feels like a bit much. He's still a below-average stick-handler with below-average speed. Luckily he can cycle well and is defensively able. Surprised we're not using him more in a PK role, but perhaps he's not fleet-of-foot enough for Babcock to put him in that situation.

I can't imagine Gauthier will ever break 10 goals in an NHL season, which Boyle has done 7 times. In fact, Gauthier never did that in the AHL either.

He's a serviceable 12th-13th forward. Let's not overstate things.
Boyle's 1st 107 games: 16 points
Gauthier's 1st 94 games: 16 points

Boyle's always been a goal scorer and Gauthier's always been a pass-first player. Comparing their goal totals is an odd way to compare the two. Nobody is comparing Gauthier to a prime 20 goal Boyle, but if Gauthier can bring what a mid-30's Boyle does, he's a nice asset on the 4th line. Much better than what posters here were projecting him to be a year ago.

Also, That post was from 6 months ago.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Boyle's always been a goal scorer and Gauthier's always been a pass-first player. Comparing their goal totals is an odd way to compare the two. Nobody is comparing Gauthier to a prime 20 goal Boyle, but if Gauthier can bring what a mid-30's Boyle does, he's a nice asset on the 4th line. Much better than what posters here were projecting him to be a year ago.

I said Boyle was no better than Goat when it happened. He was a marginal upgrade, didn't matter

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

Was just pointing out that Boyle has more of an offensive impact on the game, which is not Gauthier's pedigree (at the junior, AHL or NHL levels). You said he has all the tools to be a Brian Boyle at this level, so was pointing out that I don't think he'll ever have that impact. A quick look at prime Boyle makes it look unlikely Gauthier will ever hit that level. Boyle also had a level of tenacity that Gauthier just doesn't possess.

Just feels like you were overrating a replacement-level player. He's more Steckel than Boyle.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
As long as he plays a 200 foot game, chips in a little offence and can provide some size and grit having him as our 4C is fine by me. Would you like more? Sure but not at the cap cost.

Am I in favour of locking him up long term? Nope. He should be signed to 2-4 terms at most.

Reactions: Mork

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He left for the money and they welcomed him back pretty easy.

We gave him a 4 year deal, he didn't play in the 2nd half of the 2nd year of that contract and we had to dump him to the Islanders because we couldn't afford him and he wasn't worth that cap hit to us

Any way you look at that it's bloody terrible and a good lesson on not giving term to 4th liners

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad